Software
Houzz Logo Print
lilblondie007

Help! picking wall color

4 years ago

Bought the house now it’s time to make it my own! Looking for some advice on wall color. Originally I was thinking light gray but I’m hearing the interior color pallets are warming up
I would love to update the fireplace but that’s just not in my budget. I would like to select a color that compliments the fireplace This room is open to the kitchen which has Carmel color cabinets.(can’t afford a kitchen remodel right now). Any suggestions for color pallet would be appreciated !

Comments (17)

  • 4 years ago

    And new furniture after I figure out the color scheme !!

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I use this color cut 25% often I like it it because it is very neutral , looks good with wood and works with any style. BTW if you like gray do it who the heck cares about what the trend is , its your home . I love grays ahve had them in my homes for years way before they were on trend and long after they are not.If those are hardwood floors I would also be advising replacing that carpet with matching wood floors .


  • 4 years ago

    Agree on the floors, if you can swing it. I would choose furniture first. It’s a lot easier to pick a paint color from among a thousand available colors than it is to pick upholstery fabric to match a wall color. Unless you go really neutral. If you want gray, you can choose a warm gray or cool blue/gray, so whatever color temperature you like best.

    The fireplace appears to be black with white trim, so just about anything will work with it. IMO

  • 4 years ago

    Great feedback ! Thank you !!!! I was thinking the same thing about the floors. The only way I could do it right now would be to match the existing floor. I had a guy come out that said to would have replace all the current hardwood. That would be a lot of money because it’s on the entire first floor. I will keep trying to find someone willing to take this on. I love that paint color. This room is south facing and gets a ton of light during the day Does that mean I should go a bit darker or doesn’t that matter.

  • 4 years ago

    In a south facing room you can use some gray and it won't look dead. If your kitchen is visible on the right side of the room in the picture, you shouldn't go too gray based on what you're saying the color of the cabinets is. Look at BM Edgecomb Gray or SW Accessible Beige (depending on which brand you prefer - those are close to identical colors). They are greige and a little lighter than what you have now. If you want to go even lighter, look at BM Classic Gray. That's what I put in my south facing living room.


    Anytime you paint sampling is very important. Samplize.com sells peel and stick samples that you can move from one wall to another if you don't want to put samples on your walls. You can also paint a board you can move around. Be sure to paint at least two coats for your samples and look at them next to white so you're not distracted by how they look next to the existing color.


    You will probably have to pay someone to paint that room because of the double height ceiling, so choose carefully. It is good advice to change the floors and furniture first, however. What reason did the contractor give for having to change all of the flooring rather than installing new to match? Is the existing flooring not real wood?

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think this is a good compromise between gray and tan. Greige color.



  • 4 years ago

    I can’t thank you all enough ! I have been struggling to figure this out.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Get another flooring guy I do matching of wood floors all the time for clients you get the same floor material but unfinished and then a good flooring person will match the stain and finish the guy you had just wants to sell flooring.

  • 4 years ago

    If you want to try a bright clean cream color, try a sample of ben moore collector’s item. It works with bright white and gray. It’s sunny! But neutral. Pale pale pale yellow. Or just off-white. But it goes with ben moore white, and contrasts enough that you can see the contrast.


    What color are your balusters?

  • 4 years ago

    My balusters are currently white but I was looking into changing them to wrought iron Iam such a novice at all of this I’m not sure if wrought iron balusters are indicative of a specific design style. For example modern farmhouse. I don’t mind if they are I just want to know so I can stick to the style when pick my furniture etc

  • 4 years ago

    White and wood

  • 4 years ago

    The cream color I mentioned would probably work with the white. If you need a darker color to highlight white woodwork, you could do a darker tone on that wall (for example, the window/fireplace wall).


    I painted a sunny living room Ben Moore collector’s item (cream) because I didn’t want to be surrounded by taupe or gray. But I painted the fireplace wall a taupe color (cedar key) to make the white mantel surround of the fireplace stand out more. The colors blended together really well because of the way the light hit the walls. In some cases, it looked like a perfect color match even though they were different hues and lightness. My furniture was light gray like your carpet. It was a nice, happy environment to hang out in. There is enough gray outside on a cloudy day.

  • 4 years ago

    SW Mega Griege would be a nice color.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    Or warm light greige


  • 4 years ago

    Love it. Really lightens up the room!

  • 4 years ago

    As someone mentioned I really need to replace the carpet with hardwood