Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_158197492

Hood Dilemma with High Ceiling

HU-158197492
last year
last modified: last year

We have 12+ foot high ceilings in our kitchen. Initially, we considered going with the design below - hood all the way to the ceiling clad in grooved oak to match the island.

However, after seeing the hood framed in, I am having second thoughts. It looks HUGE and I'm afraid it will overwhelm the kitchen. It's become much too-large a focal point.

What do you suggest... Should we cut the hood down... Leave it as is... Start over... I would love ideas!

Comments (15)

• kudzu9
    last year

My choices in order would be: 1) exposed ductwork; 2) boxed in with sheetrock and painted the same color as the rest of the kitchen; 3) what you have.

• Rachel Lee
    last year

Well, it looks enormous, but so does the inspiration pic. Keep going, you can’t panic mid project!

• PRO
    Brugnoni Design
    last year

Trust the drawing. If you like the drawing, you will like tall hood. The wood your installer's holding is gorgeous!

• ptreckel
    last year

I’m loving the original plan! Keep going!!!!!

• sofikbr
    last year

I think it will work! You backsplash is great, but having all wall same color would work better ( like in drawing)

• Sarah
    last year

Holy smokes this is going to be gorgeous! Please post back with updates as construction progresses. And I know we’d all love to see pics from other points in the room.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

I hate tell you this but the wood will get greasey and how do you propose to clean it why at least just do it to the top of then vent hole at lest then you can clean it . IMO a really nice stainless hood is always the best choice max CFM good qualiy and easy to keep clean . I have done 2 wood hoods for insisatnt clients and both are not happy with how the wood gets yucky no matter how good the hood is .

• PRO
    Kristin Petro Interiors, Inc.
    last year

It looks like you duct out the back so it doesn't need to go to the ceiling. This is a kitchen with 12' ceilings and a square hood.

• HU-158197492
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you for your advice and the inspiration pics. My one concern with cutting the hood down is that there are stairs (to the right of the hood as you are facing the stove). Is it going to look wonky to see the top of the hood as you descend the stairs?

Here is a pic of the cabinets opposite the hood:

• chispa
    last year
    last modified: last year

Why the different tiles? It makes it look like you couldn't get enough of one color to complete the kitchen. You already have two cabinet colors and two counter colors. I would pick one tile color to unify the space.

• stiley
    last year

Seeing this other pic--I think your original hood is going to look amazing. It's definitely a statement but I think it totally works. Your house looks bright and airy (and those views!). The hood seems to be in line with other parts of the house, not forced. If you cut it down and can see it from above, that will cause cleaning issues because sticky dust will collect.

More tall hoods...

• HU-158197492
    Original Author
    last year

Love the idea of having the hood match the walls like the photo above and then having a band around the hood that transitions into shelves on either side. This will be done in the next couple months…I’ll update with pics. Thank you!

• Shasta
    last year

It's beautiful! One thought, I think you need to have tall (taller than "normal") cabinetry to balance the hood, like in your inspo pic.

• PRO
    Frank and Frank
    last year

“Is it going to look wonky to see the top of the hood as you descend the stairs?”

Nope. That is an opportunity for a special piece of art or detail.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County