Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_springer52

How to update for resale??

I need to update this bathroom for resale. We can not do any major renovations. This is my idea: remove wall paper, paint walls Agreeable gray (SW), trim and cabinets Alabaster (SW), replace fixtures with oil rubbed bronze (to tie in the black in the window insets) leave the tub and sinks (as much as I hate to). Freshen up the tile with grout renew. Thoughts?? this space has so much potential, we just don't have ethe time or funds to do what really needs to be done. :-(

Comments (20)

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

I'd remove the wallpaper and paint the walls, ceiling AND trim SW Alabaster.

I wouldn't replace the fixtures. Let the new owners make changes.

Kristen Springer thanked Lyn Nielson
  • Kristen Springer
    Original Author
    last year

The fixtures are corroded so they have to be replaced :-/ what about the cabinets? Paint them Alabaster also? They are a beige color same as the trim.

• Lyn Nielson
    last year

@Kristen Springer yes, I would paint the cabinets. Nice room, all Alabaster would look stunning and fresh.

• ladybug74
    last year

I wouldn’t paint the cabinets. Strip the wallpaper and paint, then replace fixture is something simple, flushmount but no boob lights. That should freshen it up for the new home owners to decide on what they want to do,

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I agree with @Lyn Nielson. Even if the fixtures are corroded, simply disclose that when you put the house on the market. That bathroom has to be entirely redone. Don't spend a penny on this except for wallpaper removal and paint. If you want to change out the fan for a nice light fixture instead, do that.

Kristen Springer thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • kandrewspa
    last year

No Agreeable Gray - that won't go with the tile. If the faucets work, they don't need to be replaced, even if they don't look the best. ORB is not "in" right now. If you have to replace them, just install chrome because it's the cheapest option. Remove the wallpaper and paint the walls Alabaster. No need to paint the cabinets. It's very time consuming to do it right and you're better served listing sooner. People find the thought of removing wallpaper daunting, but chances are the next people will do a complete remodel, so no need to go any further than you have to.

Kristen Springer thanked kandrewspa
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Take Sabrina Alfin and my advice.........paint. Ditch the paper, a buyer will see the corrosion, and don't make it YOUR issue.

You can't make the next person happy with anything but PRICE.

Lose the ceiling fan with a plate /cover. Don't even wring a hand over a light.

Kristen Springer thanked JAN MOYER
  • pricklypearcactus
    last year

Definitely remove the wallpaper and paint the walls. The wallpaper is really intense and taste specific. It looks like your cabinets are a nice soft white color, so there is no need to paint them if they're in reasonably good condition. In terms of wall color, I'd probably go with a white that works with the white of the cabinets. The floors look to be beige so I think you want to stay away from gray colors. I'd paint the ceiling white too. In terms of the tile, have you tried steam cleaning the grout? I've been steam cleaning the grout from my 2001 house and wow has it made a difference in returning the grout to a subtle color that works better with the tile. You might consider replacing the sinks if you can find nice white sinks that can drop into the original hole.

Kristen Springer thanked pricklypearcactus
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    last year

You have received the best advice. The room is a gut but simply removing the wallpaper will remove a huge hurdle. Don't do anything else except make it so clean and neat you can eat off the floors.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

I’m actively searching for a home. Your bathroom has a layout I like and while its present condition wouldn’t deter me, I’d appreciate having had the wallpaper removed and walls painted. Refreshing the grout sounds nice and if it’s cheap, do it. I prefer homes that aren’t rehabbed inexpensively (I’m not throwing any shade here, I most certainly understand saving money) just for resale. I prefer to do it myself.

Kristen Springer thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • Kristen Springer
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you all so much for the comments! I'm just so scared with this big of a project it will sit on the market. The rest of the house, including kitchen and other 2 bathrooms, are remodeled and/or updated. hopefully that will help sell it relatively quick. This market is just aweful to be lisitng in right now! :-(

• beesneeds
    last year

Clean the bejeebers out of it, then a couple times more. Everything. I wouldn't mess much with quick dip pretty- all it will do is point out more what it's covering or not doing for the rest of the bathroom. If you feel you really need to do the wallpaper, you will end up needing to do the rest of the trim and ceiling. From there the rest will look like you need to mess with that. And so on.

Kristen Springer thanked beesneeds
  • Helen
    last year
    last modified: last year

Maybe I am an anomoly but I would prefer to buy a house with a lower price. Many buyers will look past the "dated" look and be glad to get a house with great bones in a good location for less than something updated to someone else's taste. They will either live with it for a while or completely gut.

My parents were more than capable of removing wallpaper and painting. They even hung paper. My father could easily change a faucet and make the kind of minor cosmetic changes you are contemplating and to their own taste.

• Daniel OConnell
    last year

Yikes! Please, no gray paint. Give it a color with life and that will compliment the greenery coming thru the windows. Some sort of a soft orange color that works with the floor would be good for the window wall around the tub. For the other walls shown, something complimentary but perhaps not as strong. Put some potted plants on the tub surround...these should be tall and thick enough to cover up some of the white wall that is seen thru the windows. At least from the distance shown, I really don't like the facing on the tub but it likely stone (not paintable) and too expensive to change. With all that said, I am not necessarily in disagreement with those who say to sell your home with this bathroom as-is. It depends on what the remainder of the house looks like, your home-resale market and so on.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Kristen- what area of the country do you live in? Some areas have slowed down - is that what scares you? However, I believe one room of a house that needs updating is usually not a dealbreaker. If the rest of your home is fresh and clean and updated, and appropriately priced, I don’t think you need to worry.

Kristen Springer thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

Everything sells at the right price. Yes everything.

That amount is what someone is willing to pay. In the end? Thats all that matters relative to condition and neither you, nor the realtor are the deciders of value/ price. A solid qualified or cash in hand offer IS

• Tara
    last year

If I were to view your home, the only thing that would make me go Yikes! is the wallpaper. But of course, this is only on a computer monitor. It may be different in person. I don't mind the cabinets, the floor, the trim, I actually like the windows, The tub surround is an unknown becasue I can't see it well. I would appreciate the wallpaper coming off and a neutral non gray color on the walls. Period. Or an allowance for me to do hire someone to do it after I buy it.

• RedRyder
    last year

Removing the wallpaper and repainting that area will be enough. As was said, your price should reflect the condition of the house, the area, the schools, and the overall condition. Uncluttered and clean wins every time.

Your selling realtor will know if you need to do anything else. If you’re priced appropriately, and the market is somewhat “normal”, you should sell. Pricing is more critical than remodeled bathrooms.

• arcy_gw
    last year

DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT paint any wood at all let alone GRAY!! Leave the white alone. White is classic and will appeal to the most buyers. Buyers are SICK to death of sellers graying their entire homes!!! Unfortunately I do think the wall paper is too much and needs to be neutralized. Paint the walls a warm neutral, NOT GRAY!. After the paper is gone CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. You do not have to swap out fixtures. Buyers can if the feel the need. I might have the fan swapped for a chandy it's pretty industrial looking and not expected in a bathroom, but again a buyer will not mind doing the job themselves--picking the fixture they want.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    last year

Just remove the wallpaper and paint it an of white. much to be changed by the buyer not the seller. Also change out the light bulbs, get rid of the yellow cast and move to a 3500k led bulb that will make it much brighter and get rid of the yellow undertone .