Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l1oness

FOTESS JANUARY ~ WINTER GREETINGS SWAP

l1oness
4 months ago

FOTESS JANUARY ~ WINTER GREETINGS SWAP

You must be a member of this group FOTESS (Friends of the Earth Simple Swaps) in order to participate this month.

We are all about keeping things simple, especially following the holidays!

This month, put together a winter card (maybe recycle a Christmas card with a new insert?) for your swap partner. Include a little something inside it (but make certain everything can fit in a regular envelope). Examples include seeds, stickers, gift tags, etc.

I'll set up a couple of small games during the month.

Comments (130)

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

Jayeanne, I just planted a ginger root from the store and it is growing. Do you just cut the tuber and put it in your tea in a chunk or do you put that in a teaball minced up?

• sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

Such fun going on here with FOTESS!

I've had this and that ailing me since a little before Christmas so I'm not getting as much done as I would like. Bad headaches Sunday and today. I wonder if the storms coming through have impacted me with that ailment. The other day I went through my seed stash and threw away those that were from before 2020 and actually some of the 2020 ones that I knew I wouldn't use also. Anyway, I had not placed a seed order in ages since I've done so poorly with them here in this area. However, I browsed and ordered from two places this week, both places I have not ordered from before: True Leaf and MI Gardener. I was hoping I could find everything I wanted from just one place but that never panned out. Most of these are seeds I've never tried so we'll see how it goes. The two I have grown before are Silvery Fir Tree Tomato and Rainbow Mix Coleus.

Annie, I started on your card today but decided my headache was getting in the way but the card will definitely be there when you return. Looks like Monday will be a post office holiday.

• canyonwind
    3 months ago

Jeanne, no rush....take your time. I will not be home until the 28th/29th. Relax and take care of yourself!!

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Jeanne ~ I have ordered from MIGardener before and they have been good in germinating/prices were reasonable. True Leaf has a lot of variety of stuff and I have been gifted seeds from there from friends. Their seeds have been good so far and the quantity has been generous. I still like Baker Creek seeds but I notice the quantity seeds have gone down a bit but I have heard that sometimes one seeds is enough. What fun seeds did you buy if you do not mind telling us? I have grown rainbow mix coleus and they are fun to grow. I grew some last Fall in my aerogarden. Hope for better days for you. I know how it feels to be under the weather. I couldn't do much and I was very unhappy. Take care!

Anne ~ I so wish I could be in your suitcase and see what adventures you have been going.

Hope everyone is doing okay!!

• sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

I'll share the names of what I ordered. I'm seriously considering Botanical Interest if I decide to order more. Checked out several new sites when I was online shopping.

Lemon Drop Aji Pepper

Pimento Pepper

Silvery Fir Tree Tomato

Homestead Tomato

Ruby Red Swiss Chard

Tom Thumb Peas

Crisp Mint Lettuce

Summer Savory

Basil Blend

Jeanne Dionne Carnation (had to go with something with my name)

Silver Aster

St. John's Fire Salvia

Impatiens Dazzler Blue Pearl

Coleus Rainbow Mix

Coreopsis Sunfire

Isabellina Zinnia

Any in our group have experience with these? Years ago I got Silvery Fir Tree Tomatoes in a swap and remember I loved the foliage on them. I think they didn't make it long enough into the season to get fruit. but I could be remembering incorrectly. I just hope I can keep the wildlife away from most of this.

• xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
    3 months ago

Hi! Sorry I didn't get in earlier. Had a 15 second seizure before Christmas and hit a car. Nobody hurt. Was in town. $400 ambulanve ride of 10 blocks. Can i get into the ambulanve business? Lol

Changed meds. Can't drive. Feel like the princess locked in the tower.

My daughter bought me a fancy grow light for Christmas. I'm dreaming about what to start indoors (not yet). Heidi

• sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

Heidi, I'm so sorry that happened to you. Oh my, think about your garden - sometimes that's what keeps me going. It sounds like you weren't hospitalized; so thankful for that, but it must be so hard not to be able to drive right now. Let us know how things go with your grow light. My daughter gave a one of the hyrodroponics gardens with a light. I've only had it set up once, but it did well. Once I get things all tucked away from Christmas, I will set it up again.

• l1oness
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Oh no Heidi! I hope you enjoy your new grow light and I am glad you are recovering/recovered?

My card to Amy went out yesterday.

A few extra points for drink recipes and pics added below! Nice warm up recipes.

Shirley - 1 point

Annie - 7 points

Nicole - 12 points

Jayeanne - 8 points

Amy - 3 points

How about some winter cheer? Everyone who shares a winter poem will earn 2 points (max 1 per person). Snowy animal or people pics (ones you've taken) will also earn 1 point each (max 4 per person).

Mandy

Kitty watching the snow!

• pinkiris
    3 months ago

LOL ... no SNOW here... today is 70 degrees ... with storms moving in

Mandy ... your cat is beautiful! what is her name? She looks like she is enjoying the view!

WINTER GREETINGS to everyone from Miss Tiny, our new outdoor friend that showed up - lil baby, and my sons (2) pups, Miss Luna and Miss Precious! (the best I could do with no snow here and no snow in our forecast!)

Miss TINY - aka the BOSS

Lil BABY - she showed up about a week ago and has stayed here since, lol

Miss LUNA - my sons german shepherd

Miss PRECIOUS - she was not in the mood for a photo LOL - my sons chocolate lab

l1oness thanked pinkiris
  • pinkiris
    3 months ago

Winter poem...

In a Winter Garden,
    Dark the Earth below,
    Earth is waiting, waiting, waiting
    For her seeds to grow.

by: Waldorf publications - a very good read!

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Winter poem

Snowball – By Shel Silverstein

"I made myself a snowball,

as perfect as could be.

I thought I’d keep it as a pet,

and let it sleep with me.

I made it some pajamas,

and a pillow for its head.

Then last night, it ran away.

But first, it wet the bed!"

l1oness thanked bluee19
  • bluee19
    3 months ago

Timothy the elf

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Santa Lemon (left) and Santa Sunbeam (Right)

• bluee19
    3 months ago

polita my friends cat for her birthday (there is white on her like snow color plus her paws on fur carpet like snow. hahah

• bluee19
    3 months ago

This is our community cat and she doesnt like anything on her. She’s like, dont even think about it lady!!

Fluffy is her name (like Fluffy snowflakes falling from the sky)

• canyonwind
    3 months ago

WINTER POEM

Spellbound

Emily Brontë

The night is darkening round me,

The wild winds coldly blow;

But a tyrant spell has bound me

And I cannot, cannot go.

The giant trees are bending

Their bare boughs weighed with snow.

And the storm is fast descending,

And yet I cannot go.

Clouds beyond clouds above me,

Wastes beyond wastes below;

But nothing drear can move me;

I will not, cannot go.

I don't have any SNOWY animal pics so I am posting four PEOPLE pics, family and friends.......

#1....

#2.....

#3....

#4....

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

Great pictures!

Heidi and Jeanne, I hope you are both feeling much better!

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

I recently watched my brother’s two dogs and this is Opal

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

This is our dog Chloe

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

This is my son’s bunny Cinnamon and kitty

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

This is dumpling

• l1oness
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I realized my error - I'm in full blizzard preparation, but not everyone has snow. Oops! If course, fun people and pet pics are perfect! No snow required!

My kitties are Miss Riley, and Michael. They run the house.

• smitties
    3 months ago

JayeAnne, received your card today along with the tomato seeds I loved the card. Woodstock has been my favorite character for 50 plus years. Our front vestibule was all woodstock ornaments and decorations for Christmas with a few Snoopys thrown in. I am going to frame the card to add to the collection. thank you so much.

• sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

I love all the pictures that are posted, especially the pets. Here's one of my dog, Sydney. It's not from this year but is one of my favorite Christmas pictures of her.

Seems I've been ailing or very busy but the past two days are going much better so I'll get back to posting things here. I saw that January 21 is National Hug Your Puppy Day. Had never heard of it before.

I ordered another batch of seeds, this time from Botanical Interests. Sure hope I have some luck this year. I also just started some seeds in my Aerogarden - herbs this time.

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Jeanne ~ hope your growing season will be plentiful. I have an aerogarden and luv when it grows faster than in the ground but also, sad when nothing grows after a month, its like I wasted a space on the machine for nothing.

Cute pictures that everyone is posting. Hope for better days/tomorrows and take care!!

• smitties
    3 months ago

l1oness thanked smitties
  • brittneysgran
    3 months ago

Margo thank you for my cute card: I love it and I am getting better each day.

This is so true. LOL

• amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

Mandy,

Thank you for the little envelope full of goodies. Sunny Boy tomatos- so pretty and adorables stickers and transfer. I also love the moonflower seeds. It was a great surprise for my rainy day! Thank you so much! Amy

l1oness thanked amybabyboy3
  • l1oness
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I received my card today from Margo - thank you! It's beautiful - I love that catalog that you used for photos. The seeds and stickers are fun too!

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Shirley ~ thank you for the Thank You card and seed goodies. it took the scenic route to get to me.

l1oness thanked bluee19
  • l1oness
    Original Author
    3 months ago

I have a bit of catch-up to do, but it looks like everyone has sent out their cards, and a few are received already. Please let me know if I missed any!

I will go through the points updating tomorrow! Please post your poems and pics soon!

Margo - Margo sends to Mandy/sent & received
    Jayeanne - Jayeanne sends to Margo/ sent & received
    Annie - Annie sends to Jayeanne/ sent
    Jeanne - Jeanne sends to Annie /sent
    Nicole - Nicole sends to Jeanne /sent
    Shirley - Shirley sends to Nicole/sent
    Amy - Amy sends to Shirley/sent
    Mandy - Mandy sends to Amy/sent & received

I'll

• sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

My card is indeed on the way to Annie. Perhaps I posted before that my printer quit working early in December. I kept trying the "clean" function for the ink, but it wouldn't get right again so I finally ordered a new printer and my son-in-law hooked it up for me on Sunday. Meanwhile, here we are in NC as with so much of the country, with really cold temperatures. Other than walking my dog, I'm not doing much outdoors.

I received my lovely card from Nicole and I love gingerbread things so it was a treat to receive and she sent along seed packets with seeds and some she made for me to gather seeds in later as well as a packet of herbal tea. Thanks so much, Nicole!

l1oness thanked sandlapper_rose
  • canyonwind
    3 months ago

Jayeanne, no card yet??? Is it the weather or is it the PO or are there thieves on the lose??? LOL!!!! I think I sent your card on Tues, Jan 9. If for some unknown reason, you do not receive my send, I will resend your way after I return home.

I am in Northern Oregon...snow, ice! It is quite lovely!!

Happy Evening....be safe wherever you might be!!

Annie

l1oness thanked canyonwind
  • brittneysgran
    3 months ago

Thank you Amy for card, notepad, jewelry, seeds caper bush and butterfly pea vine. Can't wait to get these seeds started.

l1oness thanked brittneysgran
  • l1oness
    Original Author
    3 months ago

It's been a crazy work week, but I'm back! I'm glad to see a few more cards have arrived. Am I correct that only 3 cards have to land still? With the holiday on Monday, and some issue with USPS tracking going on, I'm no too surprised with the delays.

Jeanne - Jeanne sends to Annie /sent & received
    Nicole - Nicole sends to Jeanne /sent
    Shirley - Shirley sends to Nicole/sent

Amy - Amy sends to Shirley/sent & received
    Mandy - Mandy sends to Amy/ sent & received

As far as points totals... here's the update:

Shirley - 1 point

Jeanne - 1 point

Annie - 13 points

Nicole - 18 points

Jayeanne - 14 points

Amy - 7 points

Margo 1 point

It's been a fun month ladies! I hope you have enjoyed the quieter swap. I loved all of the pictures and poems! Stay warm as best you can.

We'll keep an eye out for the rest of the cards to land!

Annie - I hope your travels are smooth and that you return home safely!

Mandy

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Mandy ~ thank you for hosting this month. Shirley got my card a few days ago. Hope everyone is doing well! Have a great weekend!!

l1oness thanked bluee19
  • smitties
    3 months ago

Mandy, thank you for hosting. It was a fun month.

I have hosting duties for February. I’ll be traveling most of the first week so will post my swap a couple days early. The first week will be sign ups and I will start games as soon as I get back. Visiting my daughter and family in Phoenix so will be concentrating on grandboys.

l1oness thanked smitties
  • sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

Have a safe trip, Margo. I know you will enjoy family time.

Nicole, was it you who wasn't having much success with your Aerogarden? I wonder why. I have 6 "cells" in mine and in one week all 6 have sprouted little plants. I've also had success with it in the past. Right now I have lettuce seeds and herbs in it. Anyway, I hope you have success with the latest batch you've planted.

• l1oness
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Nicole - your little prize is going in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully it arrives quickly!

Jeanne - Jeanne sends to Annie /sent & received
    Nicole - Nicole sends to Jeanne /sent & received
    Shirley - Shirley sends to Nicole/sent & received
    Amy - Amy sends to Shirley/sent & received
    Mandy - Mandy sends to Amy/ sent & received

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Thank you Mandy!!

hope everyone is doing well!!

l1oness thanked bluee19
  • amybabyboy3
    3 months ago

Thank you Mandy! It was a fun month.

l1oness thanked amybabyboy3
  • sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

Thanks for being hostess, Mandy. It was a great month!

l1oness thanked sandlapper_rose
  • canyonwind
    3 months ago

Mandy, thanks for a wonderful month....

Jayeanne....great you received!!

• pinkiris
    3 months ago

Mandy Ive received from Annie ... thank you again for hosting!

l1oness thanked pinkiris
  • smitties
    3 months ago

Looks like a successful month. I will be hosting February and am currectly working on my idea. I will be posting in the next couple of days. i hope everyone here plus more will join. See you soon . Margo

• bluee19
    3 months ago

Mandy ~ thank you for the happy mail today, prize: cute valentine stickers plus the basil/candytuft seeds.

l1oness thanked bluee19
  • smitties
    3 months ago

Fellow FOTESS friends, I have posted the February swap info today. This a simple card exchange and an optional art project. This month is in memory of one of our original founders Shirley Colosimo. I hope you can join us and if your a member from the past, perhaps you can share a memory of Shirley.

• canyonwind
    3 months ago

I am home YAH!!

And I have mail from Jeanne....

Nice recycle job...and I love the seed envelopes. Very clever and smart Jeanne!

Thank you very much!! Happy winter greetings to you!!

• sandlapper_rose
    3 months ago

Glad you made it home safely, Annie, and that my envelope was there for you. Hope you had a good trip.