Software
Houzz Logo Print
oldmoses

Raspberry Cupcake......preliminary report not good.

3 months ago
last modified: 3 months ago

Both flushes this year so far fried badly. Foliage is pristine+. Not rushing to judgment yet, just watching closely. Reminiscent Coral also fried. These both are new to me this year.

Moses.

Comments (38)

  • 3 months ago

    That's too bad, Moses. We have MUCH cooler weather, and my Raspberry Cupcake hasn't even bloomed yet. But everything else is really late. My peonies haven't even bloomed. Maybe RC is meant for cooler weather. Drat.

  • 3 months ago

    Both flushes (in Pittsburgh; today is July 3) suggests quick repeat.

  • 3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

    Rifis, you brought up a point that caused me to think. My bare root was gotten from Home Depot Online, ordered after your purchase (remember the grower sending you replacements after your complaint about the puny size of the first ordered roses....of course you do).

    It was as miniscule as your first order bare roots. I was disappointed/delighted. Disappointed for the size, but happy for it, because I could plant it using a garden trowel, no shovel needed. It was healthy looking, just little.

    It grew two blooms very quickly. The second, 'flush,'......just dead headed the other day, was not new growth emerging from below the first flush dead head cuts. These two blooms emerged from old, original growth the bare root came with. They just started later, and bloomed about a month after the first flush.

    Also, remember that I have frequently commented upon my micro-climate, a difficult one. I do get rose damaging winters with lows into the -5 to -10 range in my zone 6b, but summer highs 5-8 F° degrees higher than the local Weatherunderground station predictions/reports. That's not counting the heat index. That's the real temp, not counting the heat index! The heat generated by the large hospital/residences in a closely packed, congested neighborhood is oppressive. During summer's heat I can never sit outside comfortably after 11:00AM to before 6:00PM. I have a southern exposed rose garden, too.

    So I have zone 6b winters, and zone ~7b+, almost 8 summers.

    Moses.

  • 3 months ago

    good analysis

  • 2 months ago

    My Spring flush of RC fried badly in relatively mild morning sun, plus it balled in rain/humidity even though it was sheltered from direct rain under a roof overhang. I’ve found that heat resistance (and bloom longevity) can improve somewhat with time, but once a baller always a baller. Needless to say, it’s time with me was rather short!

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    The first year or two the blooms of my small own roots fried some, after that they have been perfect. The ones I bought locally as larger potted plants never suffered like that. Some time a bit of patience is needed.

    I will go take a look today to see what it looks like. Our heat index this week went to 101.

    June 16


  • 2 months ago

    My notes from last year for RC says ’Ball ’n fry’.

  • 2 months ago

    SD Shine,

    Sounds like you're making hush puppies! 'Ball 'n fry', yum, yum. 😁

    Moses.

  • 2 months ago

    I had RC 3 years ago and it also fried, even with only about a half day of sun. I didn’t keep it.

  • 2 months ago

    Thanks Dianela.
    Mine is on its second year and I have yet to see a bloom that was more than 1¼ inches across and not distorted and balled...
    I know some Kordes take time to settle in, but geesh...
    I will give it another year. On paper it sounded like a winner.

  • 2 months ago

    Moses I hope your Raspberry Cupcake shapes up very soon. It is so interesting but frustrating when roses act so different.

  • 2 months ago

    The HMF regular ericchn (in RC “Comments”) raises the same point dianela makes about maturity.

    Interestingly, Margaret Rutherford, as Miss Prism, made an arguably similar point in a private conversation with Canon Chasuble.

  • 2 months ago

    Well, I did say arguably:


    ”Maturity can always be depended upon. Ripeness can be trusted; young women are green. I spoke horticulturally, my metaphor was drawn from fruits”.

  • 2 months ago

    On HMF, Silvana says her photo was taken on 8/8/24 in ”hot and humid” Georgia.


    https://www.helpmefind.com/gardening/l.php?l=2.82932.5&tab=36&qn=2&qc=1


    Maybe it’s more a West than an East thing - the frying.


  • 2 months ago

    I'm sorry it didn't perform for you this year. I've had one in the ground for a couple of years now and it was great this year. Being right at the front of my yard, the deer often get to it. But I put wire mesh around it this year until it was ready to bloom.


    My neighbors all raved about it. It's compact and has foliage down to the ground. It was the last of my roses to bloom but the blooms lasted on the plant the longest. I wish I had taken a picture, it was really a sight. Give it a chance.

  • 2 months ago

    Mine is in its 3rd year and already about 6 ft tall. I’ve got it in a pot, though, and it may be one that truly needs to be in the ground, which I cannot currently do.

  • 2 months ago

    I hope the crazy acting Raspberry cupcakes improve for you all. I also wondered if it was an East/west thing since the dry air may fry the blooms more. Moses is in the East and is having issues so not sure what to make of that. Maybe it is a combination of maturity and humidity.

    Here is mine, picture taken yesterday. I saw it at the botanical gardens in Birmingham today, it did not have many blooms, but the ones present looked just like mine.


  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Looks good, Daniela. Mine does like to bloom, I'll give it that, and black spot is not seen anywhere on it. I'll see how it does as it matures.

    Moses.

  • 2 months ago

    “I'll see how it does as it matures“


    Miss Prism would approve.


    At 37:00

    https://youtu.be/9GePlsyl0yU?si=ogxmDCRUo0temARF

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Dianela,

    My RC is a blooming machine, non-stop. Always pushing out fresh blooms, no hesitation is its strong suit. They still fry, and are small, ~2". By no means am I giving up on it. It has pristine foliage.

    The 4 Apricot Candys are about 50% to 66% denuded by black spot at this time, Aug 1. I have only sprayed fungicide once this spring, nothing more to date. I am stressed by their visual im

    The 4 Apricot Candys are about 50% to 66% denuded by black spot at this time, Aug 1. I have only sprayed fungicide once this spring, nothing more to date. I am stressed by their visual pact, right at the front of my rose bed, just behind the Drifts. However, to give myself a good education, I will just observe the full extent of ththeir suffering, unsprayed with any fungicide until season's end.ngicide until season's end.

    I have discovered that although Rose Midge Fly is totally absent in my garden so far this year as it was all last year, I must drag out the sprayer because the ravages of the growing tip damaging caterpillars, assumed to be sawfly larvae, is considerable and has increased all season long. Strangely, they, or it, I should say, just one per growing tip mostly, rarely do any damage to the corresponding developing green flower buds.

    Over the years, my diligent spray program addressed at controlling Rose Midge Fly, inadvertently kept the caterpillar damage checked as well.

    Never a dull moment!

    Moses.II

    Sorry, HOUZZ and my computer......at it again. I cannot correct anything!

  • 2 months ago

    Dianela - those bushes are gorgeous!! Wonderful blooms!! Oh, my!!!


    Moses - I'm glad that your spraying program has kept the dreaded midge away. Good job!

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

    Glad to hear you are giving Raspberry cupcake a chance. I hope it does better next year with the sun.

    Sorry to hear you have sawfly larva also, the pest are endless. The thrips have been the worse for me this year. I even gave in and added 3 in 1 granules to the worse offenders. Have you ever used milky spore for the Japanese beetles? I am planning on starting a regimen of adding some every year, maybe in a few years I may be able to see the difference.

    Apricot candy is off my list!

  • 2 months ago
    last modified: last month

    Dianela,

    Sorry about the thrips. It's hard to believe, but for some unknown reason my roses are unbothered by thrips. Japanese Beetles are as scarce as hen's teeth in my garden. If I can count 5 JBs a season it's been a bad year for them! The reason for the scarcity of JBs is the extreme shortage of turf, grass, lawns in my neighborhood. There is only one very small, 25'x10', lawn in my entire block, and it's badly maintained. Only the most stout hearted Japanese Beetles could survive in it.

    Moses.

  • last month

    Moses, you have the best neighborhood for not getting JBs. You lucked out. :) :)

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    I didn’t stop to think the strong effect in JB populations highly populated areas with little to no grass would have. In my area everything being so rural we have hundreds of them at a time. Well 😁cheers to one great thing in the city! We definitely do not need more Japanese beetles.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Current flush.....frying like there's no tomorrow! By no means have I given up hope. RC's foliage is pristine. Growth is steady and vigorous.

    Today's high was 90°F. 2.5" of rain fell on Aug. 2, plus the inch my roses got the day before, Aug. 1st., by water hose, makes 3.5" in two days. That's just about the month's allotment by rainfall. Maybe August will be very wet....a 10 day rainy spell is forecast.....ain't that sweet!

    Wish I had a flock of pet ducks right now, instead of the pigeons.....but don't tell them or they will surely pout because they are pouters, Pigmy Pouters!

    Moses.

  • last month

    Dianela - rotten JBs. I wish they would leave your roses alone.


    Moses - we really need rain. I think we're getting some on Sunday. It's been a month since we've had rain. Your garden sure got enough rain. :) I wish my RC's foliage was pristine. Here's a pic of a bloom.




  • last month

    Gorgeous bloom Carol!

    what kind of disease is damaging your raspberry’s foliage?

  • last month

    Dianela - Thanks!! It's powdery mildew. But I'm going to try heavily watering the bush every day, as Roseseek suggested, and see if that helps.

    Here's the bush shot.


  • last month

    Ohh no Carol I hope it recovers fast. Maybe a quick spray? Our PM presure here is low compared to other diseases so I usually see it in the spring some. Hopefully it outgrows that.

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Same here, Carol. Sorry for the powdery mildew. I rarely get PM, but when it does hit, it hits hard. I think powdery mildew is harder to control than black spot. It starts at the top, new growth, then proceeds down the bush, whereas black spot starts at the bottom and works its way up. When it is very dry, no rain, and days are hot and nights are abnormally cool, powdery mildew rears its ugly head here.

    However Carol, your Raspberry Cupcake keeps producing great looking blooms. That's a tribute to its ruggedness and your patient endurance.

    Moses.

  • last month

    Dianela - pm is very common for my roses. Most of my varieties, though, don't get pm at all. I'm going to get rid of the roses that can't get rid of it. What comes to mind is Perfumed Kisses and Rose Rhapsody. :)


    Moses - for example, we're getting down to daytime highs of 15C/59F for Wednesday and Thursday this coming week. It'll be cooler at night, and it's going to rain all week. Perfect weather for pm. Blech. Thanks about my Raspberry Cupcake. :)

  • last month
    last modified: last month

    Carol, my mentor taught me that wet weather is PM's worst enemy, which I have proven to be true here. When rains return powdery mildew clears up. In fact, one cure is to turn a portable, overhead lawn sprinkler, light spray, on the rose bed twice a day or so! PM usually is a problem mostly in early spring or fall....the cool nights then coupled with unnaturally little rain and warm days is the reason. We never get rust here, at least nobody local that I know of gets it.

    Climates matter, of course, and here with hot/humid summers with cold winters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania zone 6b it's a different world than yours in Canada.

    Moses.

  • last month

    Moses, I've had RC a few years (from High Country) and the blooms always fry. We left for vacay last week so I moved all the potted roses to our shaded front porch, came back yesterday and her blooms look amazing - finally not fried. Perhaps afternoon shade is the key to pretty blooms for her

  • last month

    Elestrial,

    It's all a waiting period now, to see if the frying corrects itself with maturity. One year, two years....will see. Fortunately, Raspberry Cupcake's foliage is completely black spot free. If it wasn't, the decision to replace it would be easy to make.

    Moses.

  • last month

    That's why I've held onto her as well. She is very healthy, with a nice rounded bush shape

  • last month

    Moses - whenever it rains here, it's cool. For example, it's getting down to 13C/55F and 9C/48F at night when it rains this week. And way worse in the spring. But what you say is quite interesting. I have been overwatering the roses at the base, and not on the leaves, since Roseseek told me to water more. Should I have been overwatering the leaves too? I wish I had known this years earlier. lol Always something more to learn. Thanks!


    Elestrial - so true about the beautifully rounded shape. :)


Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH