Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gingerfay

My 1963 kitchen transformed !

Sally Villeneuve
10 years ago
Hello everyone! This is my first post. Please let me know what you think of my kitchen renovation. I decided to design the kitchen myself. It was a challenge, but I'm happy with the results :)

Comments (120)

• Alice Spiro
    10 years ago
    I will try and send before and after pictures of the bedroom remodel....to understand what was done takes a bit of explaining. There was a door on either side of the back wall of the bedroom leading to a long hallway behind the bedroom. Walking to the right down the hall was a sink, toilet, stall shower and sauna. Walking to the left down the hall was a tub and a bidet!! The long hall held a very old elfa closet system consisting of baskets for drawers and four rods for hanging clothes on one side of the hall.

We took down the whole structure where the tub and bidet were and built a new bathroom on the left side of the bedroom. We moved the back bedroom wall 3feet in to give us room in the hall for cabinets on one side and drawers on the other. The old bathroom (sink, toilet, shower) became hanging space. The sauna was turned into a safe room.

I too acted as designer, contractor etc. We did use an architect for structural design since we had to dig a new foundation and attach the bathroom addition to the existing house. I too sourced all my own products.

We love the new space. It is everything we ever dreamed of, but as I said, the cost was prohibitive!!

I attached some pictures but it only allows me to send 4 so I will try and send some separately...
  • Alice Spiro
    10 years ago
    Bathroom pictures
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh wow! Love, love what you did with the hallway! can't wait to see other pics! I had a big budget! so we probably over budgeted so in the end we were under! Still it was a very costly job, would of doubled if we had not done it ourselves for sure!
  • Alice Spiro
    10 years ago
    More pics
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OMG!! you and I have the same taste ! Looks amazing! I love love it!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Outstanding! Cannot wait to see what you do with the kitchen!!
  • PRO
    Tabernacle Homes
    10 years ago
    Stunning
    Sally Villeneuve thanked Tabernacle Homes
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Gadalow, the bathroom is stunning!
  • Alice Spiro
    10 years ago
    Do you have any formal training or do you just love design like I do? To me, no renovation is complete unless you move a wall or two! When we do the kitchen, I am taking the side walls of the existing island away and moving the island closer to the back cabinets. Now the island is 5 ft away. I am also moving the sink to the island...it is currently (red) cornered - ugh!!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wish I had some formal training! I would love to do this full time... no I do IT sales! ...
    I just love design like you do... I've fortunate enough to be able to do some renos... this would be my 4th or so... I did not keep any pictures of the stuff I did before.
    I just looked at your kitchen and yes, must remove walls! :) I never understood a corner sink??? why??
    Anyway, I know the kitchen will look amazing if you have anything to do with it :)
    You can always bounce off ideas if you like :)
  • Alice Spiro
    10 years ago
    Thx. One question, did you use a kitchen cabinet store? The contractor that I used to do the siding on our bathroom reno (we used red corrugated metal siding hung horizontally) also has a Scavolini cabinet showroom that his wife runs. They do kitchen renos and use either Scavolini or custom, which is much more expensive. His work is impeccable so if I want to use him, I would be locked into those two cabinet choices.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No I didn't use a store. I designed the cabinets and all the functionality, including all the hardware, location and so on... I had to coordinate with the plumber, the electrician, the list went on and on. I found a cabinet maker and he put my design onto a CAD software and we took it from there. I placed painters tape on the floor and role played for a week... this was how I came up with the location of the island, the fridge the stove.. I had to be careful with the plumbing because it had to be moved around... I took my time. I had to hire an architect for the removal of walls... I needed to know what kind of beam to put in how much load it would be holding up and so on...
    I can tell you that by doing this, I was able to save a lot of money.
    By the way... I love the red corrugated metal siding... I can see a bit of it in one of your pictures.. I don't even like red (all the red in our house is because of my husband, the man loves red)
  • luckey85
    10 years ago
    Gingerfay
    As requested here are the pictures of our remodel. As a cost saving measure we kept our existing cabinets and floors but replaced everything else.. built a new island, bookcase, fridge enclosure, replaced countertops, backsplash and appliances,
    Under counter lighting and island pendants.
  • luckey85
    10 years ago
    Gingerfay
    Oops, did not have pendant lighting when I took the above pictures, but fortunately there were cans in the right place over the expanded island and we were able to add pendants by using a conversion kit for the cans.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! amazing! looks so good! thank you so much for sharing! I love the colours, very well done. The cabinets are actually really nice no need to change them. Are you loving it?
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Would love to see the pendants
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Great job.
    What is the back-splash? Looks great (LOVE the color.)
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Anne, is this question for me or for luckey85?
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    For you? (Sorry!)
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    My back-splash is stainless steel mosaics... the pictures above are luckey85's that's why I ask
  • PRO
    Designer Hardware by Faye
    10 years ago
    Your master suite is lovely. We sell a ton of the free standing tubs. They are simple, elegant, and timeless!
    Sally Villeneuve thanked Designer Hardware by Faye
  • luckey85
    10 years ago
    We also put on beefier molding on the top of the cabinets...which helped the appearance quite a bit...still don't love them but as I said previously it was a budget decision
  • Anne
    10 years ago
    Oops! I guess the question was for luckey85 then!!!
  • luckey85
    10 years ago
    The backsplash is beadboard which we had factory painted at the same time the island cabinets were fabricated. The color is Sherwin Williams cascade green.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi luckey85, looks really nice:) what colour is the back-splash?
  • luckey85
    10 years ago
    Also thanks for your kind comments and yes I am very happy with the results.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Designer hardware by Faye... I love that tub! It is so comfortable! I'm not surprised that it's a good seller. I think I sat and stretched in all the tubs in the display room!
  • luckey85
    10 years ago
    Did you see the comment above where I put in the color...our posts must have crossed paths!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I see it now :) It's a beautiful colour:)
  • PRO
    purehome
    10 years ago
    Wow, this is fabulous!
    Sally Villeneuve thanked purehome
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here is a before and after photo of my powder room. Did what I could with what I had to work with. The dresser is my husband's late grandmother's, we just replaced the hardware and left it as is.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Before and after pictures of my guest bathroom. Goodbye pink tub!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ooops wrong pic!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Wow, quite the undertaking. Other than you pining away for the mirrored stair wall and the pink tub, you are no doubt thoroughly satisfied? Ha! Very impressive, by any measure. Nice work!
    Sally Villeneuve thanked DMH DESIGN
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you DMH Design:) I will indeed miss the mirrored wall and the pink tub with kissing swans :)
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    Hi Gingerfay, Great job! Where do you actually live? We may be neighbours. My house is also a '60s house in the country and I found your comments amusing--that you wondered if people would think it is too contemporary and the white walls. I find that I get the greatest resistance to moving in a contemporary direction as people say it doesn't fit with the house. But can't a classic style go in any direction? I was thinking of going way with the stairs but no one agreed. Love what you did!
    Sally Villeneuve thanked elaynemt
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Elaynemt, thank you so much:) I live in Georgetown, Ontario, Canada. Where do you live? Would be nuts if we are neighbors if so, please come on down:)
    When we bought the house all the neighbors were worried that we would take the house down and build a "Monster home" as they called it! I love this house! I love the serene feel of it with all the trees, it's on a 2.2 acre lot. I kept the outside kinda 60ish :)
    My opinion is that you can do can have a contemporary home no matter how old your house it! Every room in the house has a different feel... but it's all white and I love it!
    I love, love my stairs... we played around with keeping the original stair and it just did not work for me... even though everyone was opposed to the glass railings and floating stairs... I didn't listen... so in the end I did what I wanted and the entire family loves it. The kids rooms are very personal to them, which is fine with me, it's their space.
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    We ARE neighbours! I live in the north end of Milton which really is the west side of G'town. I recently asked for ideas for my stairs, but no one agreed with going modern.
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Wow! Send me a private note and I will give you my address. You are welcome to come take a look :) It may help you decide :) Neighbour!! :)
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    Not sure how to send a private note but my email address is elayne@etasolutions.com.
  • elaynemt
    10 years ago
    Btw we are about 15 minutes drive west of you and on a 60 acre property and our neighbours don't care what we do!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    :) LOL
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I sent you an email
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 years ago
    Gingerfay, it looks like you've done a ton of remodeling lately! Your son and daughter's rooms, as well as your master, your powder bath, your kitchen, and your stairs. You must have put it hours of work, but your results really show for it! Your new design looks amazing! It is chic, and much more modern and open. Hope you love it! You did a phenomenal job.
    Sally Villeneuve thanked Total Solutions Group
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so very much Keesee and Associates! It was fun:) Now I need to find budget to furnish the house! All the furniture is what we had before and some of the pieces I literally found in the garage and painted! There is so much I can do with beautiful furniture pieces.
    I have so many ideas! This is my new task... winning the lottery would be nice!
  • PRO
    Total Solutions Group
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    An extra lump of money could always help during renovation, but you really did a great job re-purposing your furniture. I never would have guessed that you just updated your existing furniture. It all seems to fit well with your color scheme as it is.

Have fun searching for new pieces, but it never hurts to upcycle quality furniture. Most people have furniture that is too dated or worn to revamp, so kudos for choosing timeless, stylish pieces.
    Sally Villeneuve thanked Total Solutions Group
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! You are too kind :)
  • PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    9 years ago
    That is a pretty awesome kitchen remodel!
  • Sally Villeneuve
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you :)