Software
Houzz Logo Print
sondramartina

Why is this part of the room bugging me ?

12 years ago
last modified: 12 years ago
I love my living room and connecting dining room but this area around TV and walls are not looking right. What should I do to improve it except those cables underneath the credenza ? Thanks

Comments (49)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Hi! from first glance, what I noticed is that you need something with more height on the left side to balance the unit out. A vase with flowers wold work well, as well as a few taller candle holders or lanterns. Here are a few ideas:

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/pier-1-imports/black-metal-lantern-24/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/pier-1-imports/black-metal-lantern-14/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/honey-bulb-rattan-coil-vases-short/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/world-market/red-velvet-plum-blossoms-set-2/

    http://deciture.com/shop/decor/pier-1-imports/carved-wooden-pillar-holders/



    Hope this helps!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks Warner Décor.. Now when I took these pictures I realized that there are lots of smaller or low objects. But that box speaker and small speakers must stay as well as ,brown stool as well ,that is kitty's chair .
  • 12 years ago
    Put your plant on the credenza to the left of the tv and see if that gives you enough height.
  • 12 years ago
    A fixture dropping from the ceiling. Very chic, sophisticated, maybe some sort of bone or shell ..if it is a chandelier, I can only see it doing the room justice if it had depth..graduated layers??

    Hey , if you can afford to change out the credenza, a rustic pine??I'm not sure if that is the right word to describe it but I attached a similar wood/finish to better understand what Difference between the floor and the credenza...or refinish the one you have ...oh my goodness...that would break up the credenza from the floor and could make so magic happen ...are those speakers on your wall? Nope, sorry, you can't have them anymore. Hate to break it to ya......unless you can get them out of our field of view..or want to exchange them out for a simple , sound bar that actually puts out some pretty good sound. They must disappear. You are better off having nothing aside the Television rather than ..ya...just make them go away. Hehe!

    Please Know My Comment Was Just My Thoughts And My Being Playful Is Not Intended To Offend Anyone;)

    *Sincere Regards and Best Of Luck!*
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    hide the wires behind the cabinet and get larger scale art pieces
  • 12 years ago
    Hi,

    I'd take away the small speakers - but if they have to stay I'd place them next to main speaker

    I'd then use the space of the speakers to put up wall sconces with candles (so no electrician needed), really gorgeous chunky ones would help with the amount of space.

    I'd also IMO let the plant go, it's either over watered or under watered (difficult to tell without feeling the soil). but it's not helping your decor. If you like that type of Palm (ikea do ones which look real).

    As already previously said, I'd takeaway all the small stuff and have a stunning vase of flowers (even fake ones can look real if you are prepared to pay the price).

    Love the room and colours
  • 12 years ago
    Ok I hope I will convince my hubby to replace those speakers. I don't he will be against it as long as it is another piece of electronic :P

    I just learned that no plant likes that location ,heat and AC duct is underneath the kitty chair and blowing heat just kills my plants so that plant will have to go.
    What about those 3 pictures on the left? Are they ok?
  • 12 years ago
    Here is what I would do...center your credenza under your TV. Use a few cuphooks on the back to hold the wires off the floor. In the corner you have a square speaker, I believe. Is that a radio on top?...If it is removable, put it on the credenza and use your square speaker as a stand for a tall artifical plant or (vase with twigs) or (tall candle sticks...like floor candlesticks) since real plants do not grow well. . As for the rest of the credenza, the small things you have would be okay as long as they are "bunched" together in groups of three. I think if your credenza is centered with the TV, your three pictures on the left wall will be fine.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    BEAUTIFUL credenza and love the way the tv is over the plainer portion of it....totally works that way. I have to agree that something taller and substantial is needed to the left of the tv and just even wondered about placing the guitar there????? Then the smaller items could all be gathered together.

    BUT I am also wondering.....there is seating facing this tv, right? Things look sooo far away and the only chair I see faces another way....maybe it swivels?
  • 12 years ago
    That it hubby's SACRED guitar and it is not allowed to go close to heat duct otherwise i would like to have it there .
    Someone suggested to put a plant on box speaker .I tried that and it looks weird.
    Chair swivels and I don't think I can move it anywhere else.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I love it......and totally get it.....sacred guitar! I was looking for items you already have and it jumped out at me, but seems to already be in the perfect spot, huh?
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thanks for sharing the rest of the room....love your space and it totally works! OK....do you have any books you could put the smaller items on to raise them up a bit? Box that would fit there to put something on? Books could add a good look right there, too, and help provide height.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I would love to see the plant on the box speaker........I know you said it looked weird, but it might also be because it was different for you. You can easily put it back, but you might get a big yay, too.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Thank abbyjean.
    When I get home I will show you how the plant on the speaker looks like. Maybe you guys will see something that I don't.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I love the credenza and I love that you centered the TV on the plain part of the chest. I think you just have too many small things and agree that you need something of substance left of the TV. What about a great table lamp? A few suggestions below. I also really liked fly attendant's suggestion of a dropped pendant.
    Mia Table Lamp · More Info

    Monterey Coastal Beach Charcoal White Coral Table Lamp · More Info

    Mondovi Modern Table Lamp · More Info

    Blenko Glass iconic Mid-Century Modern table lamps · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Nice room! Two things I noticed are the line of low, little things (as you noticed when you looked at the picture) and the very small lonely art in the dining? area. So, it sounds like kitty's stool stays but can you move the plant and the table that is next to kitty's stool. The table looks a bit odd at the end of a chaise. Is there a furniture arm it can go next to?
  • 12 years ago
    The guitar is beautiful--sculptural and curvy. Many people mount their guitars on a wall just for the sheer beauty of it and for all to see. I can certainly see that to the right of the gorgeous credenza. (Where did you get it?) With the guitar wall mounted, the little speakers wouldn't be as noticeable. You can get the right kind of secure wall mount at a music store.
  • 12 years ago
    I made some changes. Plant is on the box speaker now ,lonely art and table on the end of the chaise removed. How does it look?
  • 12 years ago
    More
  • 12 years ago
    Nice!!!!
  • 12 years ago
    Please see if you can figure out a way to just kind of gather up all the wires under the credenza and sort of tape them or hook them on a hook behind the credenza. It shouldn't be too hard and it will make a big difference.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    If you were my client, then I would recommend that after you've hidden your wires & cords you go shopping for a floor lamp!
    By placing your plant atop your speaker, you're drawing even more attention to the speaker.
    Check out the "Surveyor's Bronze Floor Lamp" @ www.ethanallen.com.
    It's got a great size, presence & style (you get what you pay for) which will provide not only ambient light for your room, but will also function as the much-needed visual balance & extra "layer" to keep your focus off the speaker.
  • 12 years ago
    I love that surveyors lamp but it would be too many i think. I have arc lamp behind sectional and drum pendant in DR.
    Ps i just realized guitar is gone, just temporarily .
  • 12 years ago
    Now I like these changes that you made. Wanna live with it like this for a bit? And seriously, a bit of tape will be your friend with those wires.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Yes I am going to live with these changes for a bit and see how they feel. I was waiting for my husband to do something with the wires as he promised last summer and I mean time I stopped noticing those cables. :-p It is about time to fix it.
    How about this plant instead of tired palm? Of course in nicer pot.
  • 12 years ago
    Hi

    Much better, prefer the 'mother in laws tongue' plant to the palm!

    What is it about some husbands and how they don't care if you can see the wires! I'm still waiting too-if I could do it myself I would! Lol

    Think the area is getting there but I'm still convinced some wall sconces would finish the look, when I was in 'Michael's' store and 'Ashley's' store today they had really nice reasonably priced scones and candles.

    (Sorry if shop names aren't known/said properly, I just moved from Scotland to California, we didn't have those stores there, so I'm a bit lost when it comes to the store names).
  • 12 years ago
    Lower the side speakers so they do not look like art work - which they aren't. :). The religious icon is too small for the space. Replace it with a nice guitar rack/hook and hang the guitar there as art work and as a safe place from the floor. Use only the two similar pieces on the side wall but put them on either side of the tv. Keep the top non matching piece alone on that wall but lower it so all three are the same height. Bread twist ties work great for all the wires and then Velcro them to the back of the credenza. Eliminate all the small chatchkies on the credenza. Small pieces in a large space always look out of place. I would eliminate the plant on the corner and drop a nice hanging light from the ceiling - something with style and volume. I could go on but you kind of get the idea. :) have fun.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    OK…my next suggestion is the following: check out the "Platt Shelf" @ Ethan Allen again (I used to work for them…I have these & have used them in other projects…they're more substantial than most).
    It will accomplish all of my aforementioned goals and also provide a handsome platform for your collectibles so they no longer look lost.
    Your speakers will also "disappear"…it's important to leave them in the proximity of ear level.
    Good luck!
  • 12 years ago
    Consider moving the credenza so the outlet on the right can be used for the cords. Center it and the TV with the speakers if they're staying. If hubs doesn't do it, cut a hole in the back of the unit and stuff all the wadded cords inside. Then run a paintable cord chase along the baseboard to hid the main connections to the outlet. I don't care for either of the plants sitting on the speaker - it looks unnatural. Remove the stack of mis-matched art there on the right of the window.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Change the colors ot the wall
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    We will definitely fix the cables.
    There is dining table on the right in close proximity so credenza is in optimal position. I am considering removing or replacing 3 small pictures on the right of the window.
    I like it now when small table is gone as well as palm tree that was beside. I feel like adding Platt Shelf would overcrowd the space
    So the question is plant or no plant ? Not the palm but mother in law tongue? If no plant then what to have on the box?
  • 12 years ago
    Personally, I would try to convince hubby to change the speakers, IMHO there are many really great sounding speakers out there that can be used instead, and for a great price. Check out tigerdirect.com they have great prices and sales.
    Then, I would think that a floor lamp would, during work great. Check Overstock.com and pier 1, also great prices and nice selections.
    I've been working on similar issues in my redecorating projects.
    I'm learning as I go, but I love great sound and am a nerd when it comes to music and electronics. You can do much better on speakers.
    sondramartina thanked Maritza Lahodik
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Maybe a custom made entertainment center will do the trick.
  • 12 years ago
    Yes Maritza I am working on that too, and I believe that will be the easiest part, new electronic-new toys for hubby YAY :)))
  • 12 years ago
    I think it would be really interesting to fill up the tv wall with black and white photos in simple black frames in various sizes. With all the attention on the photos, the tv and speakers would blend right in. I'd remove plants from the top of the furniture, and put other interesting this there instead. Check out the Pottery Barn catalog for ideas.
  • 12 years ago
    Would love to see the wall beside the curtain blank......nice pieces, but it will be fine with nothing there.
  • 12 years ago
    Can the speaker box on the floor with the plant on it slide over enough to hide the outlet and cords there? Small thing to do, but makes a huge impact.
  • 12 years ago
    You can tape up those pesky wires to the back of the credenza using a strong duct tape. Tape one or two up per time until they're all off the floor. That's a very simple solution.

    The arrangement is bothering you because of its scale. The tiny speakers are out of proportion to the huge TV next to them. Your sense of vision notices that imbalance. You can remove them and the huge subwoofer buy investing in a sound bar that will sit in front of your TV, on top of the credenza. Its related wireless subwoofer can then be placed elsewhere in the room and be hidden, out of the way. The subwoofer is only about 13" tall by 5" wide, so it's much sleeker. Mine at Best Buy cost $300 or so and worth every penny. Plus, if and when I decide to wall-mount my flat screen TV, I can also wall-mount the sound bar below it.
    sondramartina thanked redcosco
  • 12 years ago
    Your sofa looks like it's too far away from the TV...optimal placement is between 8-10 feet. Also, that club chair could be moved off to the side of the sofa.
  • 12 years ago
    I'm with everybody who advises fewer and bigger things. Including--surprise-- the TV. Get the hugest one you can afford. It looks so lonely and purposeless way across the room like that. Sure, it's a black thing when it's not on, but you have a lot of black in the room so I think that would be fine. Balance it with bright artwork (larger than you currently have) and the guitar on the wall.

    There needs to be some kind of focal point. There are too many things competing for attention.
  • 12 years ago
    I am ok with the tv size and sofa placement. TV looks much smaller than it is. Sofa can not be moved around much. I would like to buy that sound bar instead of these speakers and box. I might try to have something taller on the left of the tv and remove 3 small photo frames. Thanks guys.
    @ ann thanks for pointing out about that small table , once I removed it I like it much better. :)
  • 12 years ago
    Gosh.....I did not know this was THIS room! One of my favs!!!
    sondramartina thanked abbyjean
  • 12 years ago
    Get a second cow rug, overlap the first, but cover some of that large expanse of floor and draw in that part of the room to the sitting area, a bit. As is, it looks like the great beyond, with a separate postal code and time zone. Then cut back on the many small things over there..tiny speakers, tiny plant, tiny accessories, all evenly spaced, needs some energy. (Start with a much bigger plant, a big bamboo or something--that will solve much of it.)
  • 12 years ago
    ...and a big poof near the cat bench, but floating, not rigidly aligned with other things.
  • 12 years ago
    That's a nice looking arrangement you've got there on the other side of the room. Normally I'm not into the black and white thing, but you've done a really good job of it. And good use of the spare color accents with the lavender touches and the plant.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    great looking space! maybe add a few gatherings of frames on each side to give a little something extra to the wall. The tv looks a bit naked there
  • 12 years ago
    Oh my gosh abbyjean - I agree. I love this room. Looks like you rearranged a bit to accomodate the TV sondramartina?
  • 12 years ago
    Could you try the palm that's next to the sofa in the corner to the left of the TV? Then center the credenza under TV and remove everything that's non-essential from the credenza. Anything there is just distracting. I'd remove the little pictures that are on the wall. Modern and clean. I used to have one of those big speakers that you have on the floor and I was able to hide it behind a chair. Maybe it can go behind your plant.