Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_2568346

Calling All Pros! What will be the next big trend? Please weigh in...

12 years ago
Predictions on what will replace espresso wood, subway tile, trellis and ikat, grey with just about anything? What's new and destined to be the next big thing?

Comments (129)

  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Also a peach and wedgewood blue for a client in the kitchen breakfast room. It might be fun to look back if I can find the photos. Remember the popularity of peach and blue?
  • 12 years ago
    Bluenan, you may be interested in looking at Jason Oliver Nixon/John Loecke and their version of chintz redoux.
    http://madcapcottage.com/
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Interesting thread..
    In my opinion, things that will stay and trend next couple years:
    The neutrals will still remain in the gray territory, or the popular greige for a bit:
    [houzz=
    Revere Pewter HC-172 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    ]

    Chintz will resurface in accent chairs and pillows, while large furniture will still remain velvety greige/ linen

    [houzz=
    Iveta Abolina Creme de la Creme Throw Pillow · More Info
    ]



    floor lamps will be skinny (like reading or apothecary lamps), with an emphasis on Brass in Metals

    [houzz=
    Berlin floor lamp · More Info
    ]

    Patterns in accessories

    [houzz=
    Hollis Side Table, Vintage Brass · More Info
    ]

    Rugs will take central stage with unusual shapes and bold graphic color...

    [houzz=
    Some Things Strange, Medium 3.6'x5' · More Info
    ]

    Curtains will remain in the mad men territory, rich, silky, plentiful straight drapes...

    [houzz=
    Bellagio Silver Silk Curtain · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Light Block · More Info
    ]

    Walnut will remain as a sought after naturally dark wood, finished in matt for flooring and furniture...

    Black, brass and walnut will stick around...



    [houzz=
    GRADE SOFA · More Info
    ]

    Floral wallpaper may resurface..

    [houzz=
    Passion Floral Wallpaper · More Info
    ]

    teal/ red/ salmon will be the accent colors

    [houzz=
    Teal Club Chairs Attributed to Marco Zanuso · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    oh, and periwinkle

    [houzz=
    Zebras Hand-printed Wallpaper, Periwinkle · More Info
    ]

    [houzz=
    Custom screw placement and sizes on handles and pulls by Uneek Glass Fusions · More Info
    ]
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    I remember the peach and mint green and peach and blue trend all too well. I had a home built in the 20's that had peach and black tile in the powder room. I made a chintz basin skirt in a black with peach, wedgwood blue and russet floral pattern. Circa 1984.

    Thanks for the link, studio. Those were fun and stimulating yet very livable rooms, exactly what I wanted to see.
  • 12 years ago
    I am enjoying reading this thread. As a non-professional I find it very interesting and a bit confusing, what is in, what is out. I am in the process of redoing my great room and find choosing items somewhat intimidating because I don't want to make a mistake. I think this is a big fear among the novice but on the other hand I don't want to just "follow the crowd", I want my home to be a reflection of me. I am not one who changes out my furniture every few years, I keep things for many, many years, hence the fear I will make a mistake and get tired of things in a few years. As a result I really, really take my time in making my decisions (sometimes to the exasperation of my husband) but this works for me. If I get an idea in mind, I try and not let what everyone else is doing influence me but that can be hard not to do, :). I think some decorators forget that once they leave and move on to another client, we are left with the choices that have been made. I believe most people do care what others think, to some extent, hence our choices are influenced by the current trends and in that we need to be careful that we don't "lose" ourselves while making these choices.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    Sharon, thanks for sharing your fears and concerns. I really agree wholeheartedly with all that you stated. I feel your confusion. Maybe I can help you feel more comfortable.

    As a designer, I watch the trends but they are 'not' my only suggestions to my clients. I inform them of trends. They decide if they want to move (all or part) to that direction. I try to bring all their tastes, function and budget to that goal in creating their personal plan.

    I find out what interests and excites them. What they like and don't like. What they are willing to change or not change. That is the beginning of the room building that I help them reach their goals with their own style. Their own design stamp.

    Ideas are everywhere on Houzz. They are just ideas and anyone's options.

    Firstly, disregard the trends first, as if you don't know what is 'trendy'

    1. Try to find 'who you are' first.
    2. Research, shop and browse room photos.
    3. Save those photos
    4.The rooms that grab you first will indicate what draws you in.
    5. You will find that the rooms you like have a commonality - feelings? color? design style? furnishings? materials? etc
    6. Analyze every element in the room. Bit by piece. You can mentally discard those you don't like.
    7. You may find that you are a mix of all your photos. Some things in one, but not all those things. That might be eclectic.

    I think this will be a start to finding who you are and not be influenced by all of our opinions. Many of our suggestions and opinions may work for you. Some that you may have not ever thought of. If you like it. Use it : )

    After finishing your rooms, they will reflect who you are and you will not grow tired of those decisions unless you have a change of heart. Our tastes can change over the years. Very common anyway. We do grow tired of something here and there. Move toward the feeling today and wait for tomorrow to dictate a new change or direction. Hope that helps :)
  • 12 years ago
    LB Interiors. . .Thank you for all your suggestions, they are very valid and make me feel like I am heading in the right direction. I love your idea of saving pictures of rooms I like and then really examining them to see which parts I love, all or part and implementing those that I love in my design. My likes have drastically changed over the years (used to love country, not so much now, lol), find myself heading into a more sophisticated style and am working on developing it. Thanks again for all your good advice, it will keep me heading in the right direction and have faith in MY decisions.
  • 12 years ago
    Sorry if my comments strayed from the "theme" of this thread, :(
  • 12 years ago
    You can comment on whatever you like, we've already strayed:)
  • 12 years ago
    As for me, I don't really care about trends because I like what I like whether other people think it is "outdated" or not. Although I am totally ready to see which trends are next. I think it would be funny to see the chevron, keep calm art, and trellis come back in the future) I hope in the future we will not be seeing this modern looking space age furniture I have been seeing on Houzz. Lol.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    You're Welcome Sharon!
  • 12 years ago
    Industrial battles Miami vice...scary!
  • 12 years ago
    I think we can expect to see a rise in the the "smart" home, where climate, security, entertainment and appliances are integrated and controlled remotely via smart phone apps and the like. I also think we can look forward to more sustainability and efficiency factors informing our choices as resources and materials become more limited. It will be interesting to see how design responds as technology continues to evolve.
  • 12 years ago
    Manon-I love the "smart" aspect of homes except cameras in home. I just updated my security system but was utterly afraid of adding camera even though he told me that they do not record daily.
  • 12 years ago
    I think the "pros" who drive the trends do so to sell us on more stuff. We got a fairly new dish washer once when a friend redid her kitchen with stainless.
    You can guess when a woman got married by the Tupperware colors in their cabinets.
    Enjoy a trendy item if you real like it. Do not change things you really like if they go out of fashion.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I don't think it's the pros, I think it's the manufacturers that are driven and probably required to introduce change to increase sales. Something new on the horizon and everyone would seem to want it. Psychology's involved too.
  • 12 years ago
    March 25, 1954: COLOR TELEVISION was introduced by RCA.
    60 YEARS AGO TODAY.
  • 12 years ago
    I'd like to see somebody produce a DRYER that REWIND CLOTHES the way the washer goes clockwise then counterclockwise.
  • 12 years ago
    Love this conversation, bluenan!
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    I think colors and finishes come and go, and it really depends on the person. Colors really do speak to us whether we know it or not.

    As for 'trends', I am seeing it more and more...people slowly inching out of this idea that a room or entryway has to be symmetrical or everything is ruined!! I think people are also getting bolder with their choices for color. Like a room doesn't have to look like a bland neutral mirror of itself.

    Composition comes naturally to us, keep the eye moving no matter what your personal style is, and it will never fade.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Live edge table tops will become more affordable as they are imported from overseas.
  • 12 years ago
    Sara, what's a live edge table?
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    WALLPAPER!! Coming back with a vengeance. Especially grass cloth on the ceiling :)
  • 12 years ago
    live edge table
    Greenbrier Residence · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    I still want a dryer, folks, that doesnt just toss clothes til they are a complete wad With a wet center and tangled mess. Can somebody clothes make a dryer reverse direction ever so often , like washers do. You'd get dryer clothes that weren't wrinked snd twisted out of shape. Seems like a no brainer for a problem that has been a thorn in our sides for as long as I can remember.
  • 12 years ago
    bsellers, I put a softball in my dryer and it really helps with wrinkles...
  • 12 years ago
    Bsellers - my mom used to say that the key to the dryer is to make sure whatever's in there is the same weight of fabric (so don't mix bath towels and lingerie), and that it's not overly full. She also used to shake any large items, like pants and shirts out before they went in the dryer. I follow her advice and don't have a problem.
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    danie, that's what my Mom did, so that's what I do : )
  • 12 years ago
    I do all of those things too, and a softball. It helps keeps things from bunching together, keeps them free falling. Never let your load sit after it's dry, take it out right away if possible.
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks y'all! Actually I do all of that except I have a nubby ball intended for dryers. It's mostly sheets that give me a problem. Of course the pillowcases weigh less than a sheet but it all gets tumbled into a ball with inside the wad, the pillow cases or a part of the other sheet is still wet. Plus having to wrestle with untangling the WAD O SHEETS! (There is a little trick of putting a dry towel in with jeans in the dryer to speed the process, BTW.) I have also noticed if there are only a couple of small items in the dryer, they stay centrifuged to the wall of the dryer rather than being tossed around with air circulating. It takes longer to dry a few items than you'd think. The articles stay in the same place going round and round. Just seems to me that a washer spins one way and then the other so it unwinds whatever just got twisted up. Alternating the direction in the dryer could toss clothes the same way. I try to get to it mid way to pull the sheet set apart to help get it all dry at the same time. Thanks all!!! For the record, I'm happy to have my own functioning washer and dryer. Don't mean to sound unappreciative of what I am blessed to have.
  • 12 years ago
    Bluenan, funny (not so much) my neighbor said my airconditioner condenser was banging like crazy at night...that it didn't happen all the time but...so I quickly called AC company out to check on it before it broke down or something and to be courteous. AC guy could find nothing wrong with the unit. It occurred to me WEEKS later that it was that dryer ball dropping and bouncing in the dryer during my night owl hours. My dryer is on the far wall of my garage with the vent exhausting outside. They have bedrooms on that side of their house! I'll bet you that's what they were hearing! (knowing I had spent time and money for (NON)repair made me smack my forehead! DUH!)
  • 12 years ago
    bsellers, my dryer goes both ways. It makes a little beep, then it changes direction.
  • 12 years ago
    Jn3344, REALLY??? SEE! THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! : ) Is this a dryer here in the US? What brand is it and how do you like it? LOL!!! TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SHEETS! Just between you and me, you understand ; )
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Trends come and go, but modern, simple and well crafted pieces will always be in style.
  • 12 years ago
    I am not a Pro but they say what comes around goes around - or is it the other way around? What I'm hoping to see make a comeback are wrinkle-free sheets, the 60% cotton, 40% polyester kind. I had some that were so soft, in great prints, that came out of the dryer and onto the bed looking perfect. We didn't do much with thread count then (the mid to late 70s?) but I sure loved those sheets. Given the advance in technology, why isn't it possible to make even 100% cotton wrinkle-free today? I love nice bedding but I do not want to iron it, in fact because of age & arthritis I can no longer iron at all. So my pretty sheets go on the bed wrinkled & creased, much to my consternation. I do have some wrinkle resistant sheets & they are ok but as far as I know they come mainly in white. Any hopes for a revival of new & improved wrinkle-free bedding in the near future?
  • 11 years ago
    I am not a pro, but the economy is taking a turn for the better. Always a sign when you see "help wanted"everywhere. With that in mind, more costly items for homes. No more doing without. Mixed woods and enamel colors for woodwork, ice white appliances, more built ins with technology in mind.
  • 11 years ago

    Steampunk??????? Is it coming

  • 11 years ago

    My ol' tile guy was telling me that home colors (paint/tile/furnishings) used to follow fashion by 3 or 4 years, but it's less now. You can see it already in the return of colors in automobiles. Muted green/blue/red and mustard yellow are showing up along with the old white/silver/gray/black that has predominated for years.

    Other trends that I hope will move on soon: gray; upholstered living room furniture with hard, skinny arms and low backs that offer no support (let's have comfort instead); living room chairs with (ugh) metal arms; big ugly blobs of "chandeliers; black or white paint slapped willy-nilly on everything. Oh, and so-called commercial "art" that looks like house painters' drop-cloths.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Kitchen cabinets in GREENS. We're moving from white/grey to white/blue, now start your color engines...combining blues and greens, whites and barn/ruby red, and much more vibrant patterns and colors. Think Martyn Lawrence Bullard jewel tones.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    What does everyone think about shiplap? Not necessarily in the "farmhouse" design trend sense, but used in almost any space... mid-century modern, contemporary, craftsman, modern farmhouse, boho... Will clients be asking for it?

  • 6 years ago

    love it!

  • 6 years ago

    No they won't. It's a casual look. People prefer more finished and polished.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    In my experience, people prefer different things. At least they do if I'm doing my job correctly, by finding out what makes them unique. A unique home is a reflection of the people who live there. There is no "one size fits all". How boring would that be? There are timeless classic styles that will always be stunning. DO NOT INVEST IN TRENDY FURNITURE, unless you can afford to switch it up whenever trends change. Paint color trends with accent walls, and accent pillows can have you stay on trend, if that is your goal.

  • PRO
    6 years ago



    Window treatments don't get more unique than this! The client LOVED the George Washington inspired Valance with Roman Shade cuffed trousers in his personal Library, custom made for this formal 1806 Federal Colonial. They add a regal power and warmth to the powerful collection of books on adjacent built-in bookshelves. The inverted pleats simulate the pant legs, and the irredescent bronze, raw silk jacket, complete with satin lapels, brass buttons, epaulets and ascot bring the realistic presence of three giant gentlemen into the room, adorning the windows. These are fun, functional and stunning in this Library. Window treatments should suit the character of the owner and their space, much like a frame complements a work of art. A real statement.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Back to the root of the discussion, I predict Window Treatments will make a comeback! Beyond their practical application of improving privacy and insulation, they provide an opportunity to infuse color and texture, while serving as a conduit connecting all other decorative elements.

  • 6 years ago

    A “trend” is a temporary thing. People in the design and manufacturing world come up with a new group of colors, furniture styles, wall treatments, window treatments, and other planned fads every year (or more often) because selling what’s “new” is their livelihood, their source of income. We consumers like change, so we buy into the new designs as our budgets allow.
    This Covid-19 pandemic has put a lot of things on hold....we hesitate to have the painters come in to paint our homes, we aren’t shopping so much, we aren’t entertaining. All sorts of businesses have been drastically affected. Many will not reopen. I’m looking forward to seeing what the design world comes up with for the next color trend. I think gray will be gone and cheerful colors will be back “in”. I will call my painter. We will all be helping to get the nation back on track and back to work.

  • PRO
    3 years ago

    I think "mad men" early days. Warm woods, paneling and I also think pink!

  • 3 years ago

    I believe the modern minimalist trend will ease towards more plush furnishings. Warm woods are the beginning

  • 3 years ago

    This thread started in 2014! Interesting to read back thru comments on things like the rise (and fall) of modern or MCM, shiplap, and live edge. How about a trend away from front load washers and dryers back to topload…you kniw, the ones that actually clean and dry?