Software
Houzz Logo Print
shakersables

Can red and green go modern?

12 years ago
In the early 2000's we painted our living room dark red. We have sage green sofas, brown leather chairs, and a black entertainment center. It feels like Christmas year round. Is there any hope of making this room look more modern and less country?

Comments (24)

  • 12 years ago
    Maybe just repaint the room a different color. Looks good otherwise.
  • 12 years ago
    last modified: 12 years ago
    It is definitely time to change the wall color. Your room will look modern and fresh
    Crown Hill Remodel · More Info

    Pennsylvania Farm House · More Info
  • PRO
    12 years ago
    Just repainting the walls can make a big change and freshen up the whole room. Go with either a cool tone neutral, or see if there is any neutral color you can pick from the rug, assuming that you want to keep the rug). Maybe instead of red accessories you can bring in some blues, or oranges..
    Lafayette Residence One · More Info

    Transitional Living Room · More Info

    Presidio Heights traditional · More Info
  • 12 years ago
    Gotta change the paint every 5 years!!! That's how you keep it fun!
  • 12 years ago
    Thanks for all the input! I had a feeling the red walls were in need of change. I love the second photo posted by sondramartina. I think the paint color in the photo is Brushed Aluminum by Benjamin Moore. I'm nervous but excited about changing the color so drastically.
  • 12 years ago
    Don't be nervous. You are going to love it. I had some olive green walls for years and after we painted it with new fresh light colour it made huge difference.
  • 12 years ago
    Warner Decor, in the future, when finances allow, I would love to do a black/white/wood look and those pillows would be perfect! Thanks.
  • 12 years ago
    I think painting will give you a whole new room and I love the color you're admiring in the above post. Could you also pull the leather chair into the room just a bit and angle it just a bit more?
  • 12 years ago
    Ann, I could definitely try that. It is a very difficult room layout... The fireplace is flanked by windows with radiators beneath. French doors adjacent and the opening to the dining room opposite the fireplace. I think when it was built in 1927 it was meant to have a seating arrangement in front of the fireplace. It is our only living space so it has to accommodate the entertainment center too. So the room is oriented the long way instead of to the fireplace. All this to say, it is a long narrow room and if I pull the chair out too far it will be in front of the entertainment center because of the radiator. Ugh!
  • 12 years ago
    If you want to go green, think about painting the walls emerald and keep the neat white trim. Use Sunbrella fabric in white to reupholstered sofa and chairs. Add solid and printed pillows in red. With your simple tailored roman shades and your dark wood piece, you will have created an entirely new look while preserving the functionality of all the pieces you currently have in the room.
  • 12 years ago
    It looks like it can go closer to the entertainment center and pull into the room more without blocking anything, but I'm not in the room to see all you're describing. I'd "float" it more in that space rather than having it shoved back in so much.
  • 12 years ago
    Wow janiehburton! I think that's too much for me to take on right now. Paint,some accessorizing, and moving furniture I can handle. I'd love to start from scratch as the furniture in the room is probably not the right scale or style for the room and my taste has changed quite a bit since we bought it. But money doesn't allow right now. Thanks for the inspiration though!
  • 12 years ago
    Mandy, I think you'll be shocked at what a transformation a calm, light colored paint will make! I don't think you'll need anything else!
  • 12 years ago
    Ann, when I get home I'm going to post a couple more pictures of the room so you can see the layout. Maybe you will think of an arrangement that would work better. There are actually two chairs, one in each corner. And now that I'm thinking about pulling the one out into the room more, I'm not sure what I should do with the other.
  • 12 years ago
    North, west, east, south views.
  • 12 years ago
    So, if it were my room, I might pull the chair we discussed earlier way forward so it has a front foot sitting where the corner of the dog's bed is and becomes part of the furniture grouping. I'm not sure the other chair make sense in the room and I might use it somewhere else in the house.
    Your daughter is beautiful!
  • 12 years ago
    A couple of colors for you to try: a medium green and brushed aluminum. Consider painting the back of the armoire a saturated pop of color.
  • 12 years ago
    My kitchen is Revere Pewter and my dining room is Natural Wicker. Brushed Aluminum seems to be pretty close to Revere Pewter. Does that matter? Would it be better to pick a complimentary color?
  • 12 years ago
    Mandy, I think you would be happier long term to pick a complimentary color in the warm wicker direction or even add blue so the reds that are in the rug and in the pillows are still at home but the overall feel of the room lightens up. A gold based tan will work with your roman shades and rug, the woods and dark leather but feel like a whole new room. Test bm monroe bisque http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/monroebisque , oakwood manor http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/oakwoodmanor#ce_s=oakwood manor

    Going to a cool tone with the sage - the only cool tone I might recommend would be a blue-blue green . . the red-oranges as accents would still work well but now you would want to add one fabric with blue-green, sage and red-orange to pull it all together (they are out there now so it si easy to do). This would be counterintuitive and send your sofa's looking sort of apple green - they wouldn't read sage anymore and that alone would be more contemporary. Test bm bali http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bali
  • 12 years ago
    Libra, I really like the idea of the blue wall color. I've seen a couple mood boards from The Yellow Cape Cod with red and blue. But I feel like throwing the green into it makes it too complicated. I'd love it if I could buy a new rug and sofas. I think the Monroe bisque/Oakwood manor direction makes the most sense with what I already have. Unfortunately I'm not crazy about the color. So here's the dilemma... Paint a color now that works with what I have but I'm not crazy about OR wait and save up for new furniture and rug and pick a color scheme I'm really happy about?
  • 12 years ago
    I love this blue living room. I think it's Ben Moore Tranquility.