Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faithsdecor

Microwave above gas stove??

Faith
11 years ago
How high above the surface of the stove should a microwave unit be placed?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Usually the microwave would be in line with the bottom of the upper cabinets, so it can vary a bit from each kitchen.

Traditional Kitchen · More Info
  • Faith
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your reply. My concern is regarding heat from the stove top. Also, clearance for pots and steam from using the burners. What do you think would be a safe and practical height for use of the microwave. I do like the idea of making it flush with other cabinets. I have never had a gas range before and am also wondering what the influence of a fan unit would be on the gas flame. I am seeing many beautiful hoods ... But space is limited and I may have to choose between looks and practicality.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I must say the steam coming from boiling water will cause condensation on the microwave unit, but if you wipe the water off it should be fine.
  • PRO
    Beautiful Space Co
    11 years ago
    Great comments by WGP. I just like to add that the range or cooktop specs will list the recommended min/max height, and that will depend on the BTU output of the burners. Secondly, the NKBA guidelines for correct placement of a Microwave Hood is approx 3" below the primary user's shoulder height...that may not always be possible depending on the height of the primary user of course.

Steve
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    11 years ago
    Thanks, Steve!

Joanne
  • Vince Cannava_II
    9 years ago
    great information, thank you. for reference it doesn't seem to matter where my family and I move, on the county/state web pages one can usually find the local building codes available in an online format. while it's not riveting reading it can save you a ton of hassle down the road when you go to sell your house or if you happen to remember what to look for when shopping for a new one.
  • Eduardo Berlanga
    9 years ago
    That has always been a challenging question as no one can seem to agree on a set height but I've always been told 18".
  • Fred Keyes
    8 years ago

The question really should be "Why on earth should a microwave be above the stove at all?" The two are frequently used together. Imagine the hazard when a couple of pots are boiling on the stove and you need to reach through hot steam to get to the microwave? Also think about adults who are 5'6" or less--ask them how easy it is to reach to the back of a high microwave oven to retrieve a cup of coffee. Insanity! Kitchens need to be designed with microwaves placed lower and away from other appliances.

• miacometlady
    8 years ago
    Post from 2012
  • Debora Norz
    7 years ago

Great invention called cool grip with handles for bowls and plates no spills safe handling in microwave. Google it or Amazon carries it. Could put coffee in bowl to use with this

• Debora Norz
    7 years ago

Code for California is 24" above cooktop. As to why do it this 1934 rental unit has 10 ft of counter space. No room for islands. I added a rolling stainless top cart next to the stove to place hot foods coming out of oven or microwave. When it goes on the market this will be a selling feature.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

"Code for California is 24" above cooktop." NO

Code for California is the same as it is for the rest of the country, which says to followed the Listing and Labeling of the upper appliance. "UL" DOES NOT list the appliances differently for California. ALL over range microwaves are designed per UL923.

The microwave is allowed to hang below the 30" required "to combustible material or metal cabinets". Other appliances are allowed to be designed for hanging below 24" high cabinets, like a low profile hood. The microwave is an appliance, not a metal cabinet.

• HU-19286378194904113
    5 years ago

I am a professional appliance installer and have seen it all. I have seen a door that melted on a microwave and dripped all the way to the stove. Way to close to the top of the cooktop surface. Barely above the control panel on the back of the stove. A hood is the safe way to do it. Put the microwave somewhere else. Although whirlpool just came out with a over the range microwave that is the size of a hood. Just put one up the other day. 1st one. Very nice. Worth looking at.

• miroomiroo
    5 years ago
    space between cooktop and lower cabinet is exactly 30" even with the low profile microwave the remaining clearance will be around 18" after installing. so i am still confused
  • Alexia Emerson
    3 years ago

who wants to reach around a microwave only 18 inches from the surface you’re cooking on? Put it at the maximum height allowable from the surface so it’s not in the way.