Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decorgirly

Home Office

decorgirly
9 years ago
Hi I can't find my new thread so here's a new one!
I'm designing this home office and need some advice.
1. It needs to hold lots of storage
2 it needs a big workspace
3 I could get a new desk but would rather somehow make this desk work or at least use the pieces to make a more functional desk
4 the room was painted Caribbean blue by ben Moore and is not being repainted!
5 I need a task chair AND a relaxing reading chair

If you have any helpful advice please HELP!

Comments (37)

• decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sorry for the messed up pics
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    what do you think of putting a bunch of these as storage on the empty wall starting from the floor up like steps sort of like this

o
    o o
    o o o
    o o o o chair
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    sorry these
    Way Basics Eco Stackable Storage Cube, Black · More Info
  • PRO
    Rob's renovations
    9 years ago
    Lol
  • PRO
    Design Elements
    9 years ago
    I would do some Bisley filing cabinets - only do cubbies if you are going to do baskets in them, it will look really messy...best of luck
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    what is so funny Rob?
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    the cubbies would be for binders and books and boxes/baskets
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I'm getting wire shelves for the serious storage from lowes for inside the closet
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    I do not see enough room in the space for a lounge chair unless it's footprint is no lager than the chair pictured. Only you know what your storage needs are. I would nix those cubbie.boxes and go with a shelf that would store more and take up less space.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Have you checked Ikea.com?
    decorgirly thanked sandradclark
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    If nothing else you could get some inspiration for what will work.
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    Do you use your CPU a lot? I wondered why you didn't have it on the floor to hide your cords.
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi I'm back.
    For the lounge chair I'm trying to get a chair that is about the same size as the one I have now just more comftoreable.
    Horselover- I really like the shelving you posted but the windows are very close to the back wall, as you can see in this picture
    Sandra- I do use it a lot, I switch the printer cord between my computer and laptop very often. Part of my idea is to make something that'll hold the cpu and the printer that is easy to get to
    I did check out ikea- their chairs were all to big but I like the shelves they have I'll post an inspiration picture with floating shelves soon.
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Heres my inspiration pic, I want to try and copy it but integrate the picture propped up on the desk with it somehow. Any suggestions?
  • horselover222
    9 years ago
    Well for the shelving like that all you have to do is find some painted white wood and put it above your desk.
  • horselover222
    9 years ago
    Are you going to keep your desk and chair that you have now?
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    http://www.remodelaholic.com/2010/09/basic-office-chair-reupholstered-for-craft-room/
    I love what she did here and want to copy it! What color fabric should I do?
  • PRO
    Your Organizing Consultants
    9 years ago
    It's hard for me to see what you want to store. I would use your current desk for your hardware and maybe your outbox. I would also consider shelving above the desk. The cubes are nice for the right items. When you get around to it I would swap out your screen for one with a smaller footprint and once you get a wireless printer you will no longer need to swap the cords around.
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    heres the list of things that need to come back in here
    office supplies like paper, folders, staplers.....
    books
    pictures (in black and white boxes)
    work stuff (going in the closet on future wire shelving)
    mementos (in black and white boxes)
    cards that were given (in black and white boxes)
    blank cards (in black and white boxes)
    I got a new screen (YAY!) already as you can see in the first messy picture and the printer is going to have to wait awhile
    What do you think about the shelves in my inspiration picture?
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I forgot to put my new radiator cover on here
  • PRO
    Your Organizing Consultants
    9 years ago
    Measure what you have in linear feet that will tell you how long your shelves need to be (divide number of feet by the number of shelves you can fit in the space) you will also want to make sure you have enough extra space for decorative items as well. I think your inspiration wall is lovely. If I was you I would put as much as possible in the closet. Only keep out what you need.
    decorgirly thanked Your Organizing Consultants
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    That's a really good idea to lay it all out and measure, I also want to painters tape it all out on the wall. Hopefully I'll get to lowes on sunday and get wire shelving so I'll see how much more storage I need after putting stuff in the closet. In the meantime i'll like to get a chair. What do you think of this fabric? is it too much birds after the birds in the art and a ceramic bird that I'll like to put on the shelves?
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/0284402/richloom-birdwatcher-meadow
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Hi horselover! for some odd reason I didn't see your comments till now. For the shelves I would get them from ikea or lowes. My desk is another problem....... I don't know what to do with it, I had this filing cabinet that I wanted to use as part of the desk so I had the white drawer thing made and a desk top. however now its too high and big. So either I could have him make the white drawers lower and cite the desktop or I could try to use these pieces to make a new, more functional desk. what do you think?
  • PRO
    Closet Factory
    9 years ago
    Hi decorgirly,

Here are some of the custom home office projects we've done over the years. A lot of focus on storage in these pictures, so we hope you're able to gain a little inspiration!

One question, have you thought about organizing a no-obligation, free design consultation where a designer comes out and collaborates with you to create a design specific to your space and every need? Something like that could give you the extra push you need to make things happen in your home office!

Let us know if you have any questions!

Thank you,

-the Closet Factory Team
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I actually have that last picture saved in my ideabook for the printer pullout shelf! any advice on where to buy or how to make it and incorporate it into my room?
  • PRO
    Closet Factory
    9 years ago
    We make all of our products in our factory, but there might be a YouTube video out there that shows you how to put one together. As for incorporating - it looks like it might be a good fit built-in to the white drawer on the left.
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi I got shelves for the closet but there not up yet as you can see. I also put up paper to try and copy my inspiration pic but I think the one that I switched around the shelves looks better, what do you think?

P.s. does anyone else find the new way to upload photos extremely annoying?

• decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi! I'm looking for fabric for a chair, any good fabrics you can recommend?

• decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I found this fabric that I like and would like to paint the chair to match, what color should I paint it ?
    https://www.fabric.com/buy/237715/covington-papillon-meadow
  • OldGrayMare
    9 years ago
    I think you need to concentrate on one aspect at a time in this remodel. First, get your "stuff" organized. You have a lot of it...files, etc....and they all need to be put out of sight and in a functional order. You can worry about the pretty stuff later...but I DO love that fabric...so stick that into your memory bank.
    While the floating shelves look very spiffy, they really aren't all THAT functional for storing "stuff" unless you put all the stuff into boxes or baskets. Shelves with end pieces may work better...like a traditional bookcase.
    Do you have a "Container Store" anywhere nearby? They have a couple of great systems for storage....offices, pantries, closets, etc. They can do the install or you can DIY...and design help is free....free also I think at any IKEA.
    decorgirly thanked OldGrayMare
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    thanks for commenting! I'm still in middle of sorting through all the stuff but I'm realizing that a lot of the stuff is work stuff that's going into the closet. The black filing cabinet could also be moved into another room if I need a different desk. the rest of the stuff that needs to come back in here from my big pile of office stuff is mostly birthday cards and other memento type stuff that could go in boxes on the shelves. I do really like the look of the floating shelves but if not where would I put shelves with sides? thank you so much for your much needed advice.
  • User
    9 years ago

@ decorgirly - How did your office turn out? I would love to see some pics of what you have done. I am in the middle of reorganizing my office and can use some inspiration!

Here is my advice thread...

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/office-design-layout-for-2-people-dsvw-vd~3015793

• decorgirly
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    anita, I actually did not get very far with it at all so you are welcome to help!
    I just ordered this chair
    https://www.jossandmain.com/For-a-Light-Heart-Farrah-Arm-Chair-in-Dark-Walnut~SM6547~E19438.html
    and I have blinds and shelves in the closet up. now I'm trying to get a functional desk.
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    help!
  • decorgirly
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I need a light fixture, am I able to get a pendant type or am I restricted to a flush mount because that what I have now.
  • PRO
    Anna B
    6 years ago
    How do I make my computer and desk more appealing ?