Software
Houzz Logo Print
danareynolds

GRAY...... Is it already "overused"? Is it here to stay for awhile?


Summit - Builder Model · More Info

Harmony - Builder Model · More Info

Summit - Builder Model · More Info

Harmony - Builder Model · More Info

Still using gray....it will be popular for awhile.
Hesitate to use gray because everyone else is using it
Won't use gray because it's already overdone.
Other....why?

Comments (40)

  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    I love the way gray is used by the pros in the photos, but I hesitate using large amounts of it, because large amounts of gray, in my opinion, can look dreary. But, I don't think it has run its course yet. It will be around for a while yet.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked User
  • 11 years ago
    Gray= dreary boring sad lonesome lifeless dull .....this is why I hate gray!
  • 11 years ago

    I don't choose colors (or much of anything) because they're popular, I choose things that I personally like.

    I am affected a lot by color, so my choices are made by what sort of feeling I want in each room. Most of my house is light and bright. I chose a soothing gray (and room darkening drapes) for my bedroom because I wanted a contrast from the rest of the house, and a dark-ish "boring" place to help me fall asleep and stay asleep.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked orangecamera
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    A lot of our clients use gray.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Grey is a neutral it will never be wrong!
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked J. D. Carter Interior Design
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I think there are a few more years until the trend shifts. Who knows faux finishes may be returning before you know it. :)

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked 123 Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Oh .... please tell me faux finishes won't be back for a LONG time :) YIKES!

  • 11 years ago

    I won't use gray because it is depressing. I don't know why people are using gray in bathrooms. No one seems to care that it is not complimentary to skin colors. Gray in kitchens or dinning rooms. UGH. Not conducive to preparing food or eating.

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I still like the use of gray! Definitely agree that it can look dreary at times, but here in sunny South Florida that's hard to do!

  • 11 years ago

    Planning on painting our (very) small bathroom gray

  • 11 years ago
    I love gray because I'm tired of browns and white. Also you can add jewel tones to really add pop to areas
  • 11 years ago

    gray is timeless and priceless, combined with other gray shades or any other bright color opens up a world of endless possibilities, to make your area always look different!

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Nadine Bruyninckx
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Bathroom remodel · More Info

    Love grey...
    Faux stone wall and custom sheers/gray · More Info

    Kitchen Renovation · More Info

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Studio NOO Design
  • 11 years ago
    gray is the new beige, go for it.
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked qtyani7
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Grey is a neutral and rather "safe" color to use as it looks good with everything. I agree that overuse should not be encouraged but just the right amount can complete any room of the house.

    SHORE · More Info

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Fletcher Cameron Kitchens
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Gray is for parking structures, sidewalks, cinder block walls, prisons, battleships. No, thanks.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked campnou
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Grey is here to stay. We use a lot of nice light greys, not many darker greys. As long as you have other features in spaces to make it interesting, it is one of the best choices out there. Classic and timeless- hard to go wrong.

    The Colonel's Place · More Info

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked SGDI - Sarah Gallop Design Inc.
  • 11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Grey will always be around in some form or another, but not on the scale it is now. As with all color trends, when it runs its course those that used it extensively will see their rooms becoming dated very quickly. Best with trends is to add pops by adding pillows, small rugs, bedding, and using it as wall color.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Maureen
  • 11 years ago

    These all-gray rooms remind me of the Winter Palace scene in Dr. Zhvago! Cold, lifeless, and dreary. Give me white or give me color, but no gray or beige!

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked junef22
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    This is a room I just completed. Everyone loves it
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked J. D. Carter Interior Design
  • 11 years ago
    Gray, to me, is an extremely cold color. I do not find it relaxing.
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked M B
  • 11 years ago

    I don't dislike it in other peoples' homes, but I want 'real' color in my own home--at least until I decide to sell and then I'll repaint in something very neutral.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked hayleydaniels
  • 11 years ago

    I don't go with fads, I use what I like. My parents had bright and cheerful (and chick) elephant gray living room with gleaming white trim and a black sofa and coffee table in the 1950s. I did a dove-gray dining room with robin's egg blue ceiling, mahogany antiques and damask upholstery and curtains in the 1980s. My library/study now is a lilac that looks gray in the evening, with modern furniture of rich woods and deep colors. Ignore trends, and go with your heart and eye and taste. Beautiful or dull is a mix of your personal taste and design skills. Most important, do what you love!

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked tfswest
  • 11 years ago

    I love it as an accent color (particularly charcoal gray) but find it depressing on walls, cabinetry, etc. But then again, I live in the Pacific Northwest.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked einportlandor
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    NO color is EVER really out of style if used in an updated version and complimented with any other color of your choice. Slavish trends are what makes any color outdated. Go with colors that resonate with you and you will always find a way to update them.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Tres McKinney Design
  • 11 years ago

    It is still indeed very much popular- my sons have greys in their rooms, grey & silver wallpaper with abstract patterns, and the other a striped wallpaper.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Momof5x
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    We like the look along with white cabinets.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked K&N Appliance Gallery
  • 11 years ago
    We used grey before the trend hit, and will use it when it's gone. Your home should be in colors you love, not just because someone else thinks it's trendy. I find greys soothing, calming, and complementary to just about every other color, wood, metal, rock.
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked teamaltese
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    All colors come & go in waves, and popular trends get overused. I am seeing people starting to get bored with it because they see it every where now. I agree with what others have said, use what works best in your space & makes you happy. Your home will never look styled and unique if you are just trying to keep up with trends, With that said, I love grays in the right setting. And there are so many variations -- cool, crisp grays to warmer greiges, that I think it will always be a great neutral.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Genay Bell Interior Design
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    I love using shades of gray ... however I first consider the design style, room size, floor treatment and other elements in the room before selecting a wall color.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Abbie Jacobson Design&Decoration
  • 11 years ago

    I hate doing what everyone else is doing, and I have never liked gray and brown/beige together. My floors are hardwood, so I don't like it with gray.

    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked Leah
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    Not gonna lie. I jumped on the grey-train when I first saw it trending but now I see it everywhere. Seems like it's everyone's "go-to" color now for the sake of trend and I am over it. Although, I will say that when used like @sarah gallop design inc. you can never go wrong --THAT is a timeless use of grey....in my opinion.

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    We love it as a great neutral backdrop to pops of color. It lends itself well to modern designs as well so it's right up our alley.
    Dana Reynolds Interiors & Home Staging thanked RRS Design + Build, LLC
  • 10 years ago

    Ten years ago, chose pale, soft grey as a neutral -some rooms lighter, but always light and airy. (I will never choose the color beige anywhere!) Find grey very soothing and a great neutral for my pops of color from travels in Mexico. Never tire of it....but now seeing it everywhere, I'm thinking of going totally white...... We live in an small 1870's farmhouse with contemporary interior.

  • 10 years ago

    I find grey a rather cold color. Prefer earthy tones like beiges and browns and natural wood tones. These are the tones in the bathrooms we are currently renovating. Honestly I didn't even know grey was a "thing" until I started coming to houzz for ideas for my reno. In real life, I really don't know anyone doing grey in this scale. Maybe it's regional? I'm in New England, our winters are grey enough without having it echoed inside as well!

  • 10 years ago

    There are warm greys out there.....with a hint of beige. Wisconsin winters are cold but sunny.....

  • PRO
    10 years ago

    I love the greys, they are all different shades, which helps give the home it's own unique look, with out over lapping another grey. I really enjoy the built of the house, and also the color scheme picked, it is truly beautiful, comforting and unique.

  • 10 years ago
    I like gray but you would think it was the only color out there. I think I may tire of this all gray scheme, but not that view!
  • 10 years ago

    I will use gray and have used gray tones for years but I do think it's being over done. It seems as though gray is becoming a lifestyle choice not just a color option in an over all decorating scheme.