Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
samantha_fowler7124001

What will make our kitchen better?

Samantha Fowler
7 years ago

We just bought a new house and are preparing to move in, and want to make some improvements.

The previous owners actually just done a lot of work on the kitchen, but it seems like it is missing something. The backsplash and floors are new. The cabinets are in very good shape. I eventually want to buy new counters and a farmhouse style sink, but right now we have a limited budget. Would new cabinet pulls make much difference? How can we make the fridge area look better? Also, what should be the next thing to make our kitchen better?

Comments (15)

• leelee
    7 years ago

There are changes you could make but if it's not time for new counters then hold off on any changes for now. Not even new pulls.

In the future you could enclose the fridge so it looks more built-in. Plus add storage on the side and above.

• Samantha Fowler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I love the fridge idea! We are DEF going to be doing new counters at some point in the not so distant future. We are first time home buyers and went from a tiny 2 bedroom apartment to this 4 bedroom tri-level with a basement! We have a lot of furniture to buy. :) Thank you!

• leelee
    7 years ago

Hope I didn't overwhelm you! I have done all these changes in my own kitchen.

Samantha Fowler thanked leelee
  • leelee
    7 years ago

One thing you could do right now is take down the valance over the sink and replace it with a more tailored roman shade.

• PRO
    Mint Kitchen Group
    7 years ago

Painting the cabinets white will make the kitchen look more modern and will brighten up the space.

• leelee
    7 years ago

A farmhouse sink or an undermount sink would be great.

• Samantha Fowler
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you! That is the previous owners. The photo is from when we went to see the house before we bought it. We haven't moved it yet, so that DEF will not be there! Thank you!

• jldp
    7 years ago
    I think leelee made excellent suggestions. Painting the cabinets and adding new hardware will help make a dramatic difference. You might want to consider adding cabinets to the ceiling or completely redoing your upper cabinets to have them up to the ceiling.
  • PRO
    Stone Harbor Hardware
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

You've gotten some great advice! There are lots of options for cabinet hardware, and it's a relatively easy way to change the look of the room - especially if you think it will be a while before you can do a complete remodel.

Alesund Collection · More Info

Sherwood Cabinet Pulls in Vintage Bronze · More Info

• er612
    7 years ago

I would move the fridge next to the cabinets and if you can, frame it in so it's integrated with the cabinets.

• PRO
    Simonson Design Studios
    7 years ago

We can draw it out for you in 3d and send it back to you in 3D I have awesome Kitchen designers that can work miracles with space. Simonsondesignstudios.com

• jhmarie
    7 years ago

Painting the oak is a real chore that probably should not be taken on unless you are a patient and experienced DIY person or are willing to hire a professional painter. If you decide not to paint and the cabinets are in good condition, new hardware, countertops, sink and backsplash would freshen it up a great deal. Also consider a new hood. Whether you paint or not, the Kohler Whitehaven "short apron" style farmhouse sink can be installed on a standard sink base cabinet. It does not require a special cabinet. I made similar changes in my oak kitchen.

http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/57579129/thumbs/my-pics-work-in-progress

• gustaruygers
    7 years ago
    I would remove the backsplash, it was the wrong choice and is only on one wall. The previous owners didn't carry it all the way around the kitchen .Then just paint the walls. The backsplash and floor don't go together in style as well as color.
    I would wait for major changes until you can do it well (financially ) since you say there are many purchases to make.
    Enjoy your new home.
  • PRO
    Design & Build . . . by Roger Perron, Inc.
    7 years ago

If you have a budget for a light remodel, put the refrigerator against the existing cabinets. Then have a new cabinet made above it, and make a side panel/broom closet on the right of the frig. Then have the whole kitchen painted a green/gray shade. We can provide some color numbers if you're interested.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!