Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
torrielw

I bought it...now what!!!!

Torrie Williams
6 years ago

Not sure how to decorate my new living room. Any design ideas are really appreciated.

Comments (23)

• sandradclark
    6 years ago

Is this what you have now (as pictured)? It looks lovely to me.

Torrie Williams thanked sandradclark
  • simstress
    6 years ago
    Are these listing photos? Or your own furnishings?
  • tfitz1006
    6 years ago

Maybe larger tv console, remove the high tapestry, bring the sofa away from the wall to start?

• Denita
    6 years ago

You have a wonderful room with a good sized wall for your entertainment area. Take a look here on houzz for "media wall" to see what inspires you. Here is one example to get you started. There are many styles. Pick a few that resonate with you.

Coastal Home Renovation · More Info

• Torrie Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks for all the response...yes these are listing photos with furniture of the previous owner. I want more natural light and considering removing the fireplace. I'm also considering putting the tv on the opposite wall where the sofa is and adding shelves. I love the picture above with tv on blue wall.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I caution against giving the large wall to the TV. Then you'll be back here asking what to do with the rest of the wall. The shorter wall is more appropriately sized for the TV. Also, why would you remove the FP that adds value to your home?

Here is your room with the entertainment unit added. It will fit nicely and can be easily fabricated by a professional millwork shop or clever carpenter.

Torrie Williams thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Cap the Demi-lune sconces. Lower the art to seated eye level. Pull the furniture together with a large rug. Make sure most seating has a convenient place to set down a drink/snack/book.
    Torrie Williams thanked jbtanyderi
  • acm
    6 years ago

If you put the TV on the other wall, you'll find you're in trouble arranging furniture to face it while keeping walkways open -- better to put the shallow furniture on the walkway side. Your room isn't really wide enough to float all the seating forward from the wall to leave a walkway behind...

• tatts
    6 years ago

The sconces in the middle of the walls have to go. That is a stupid place to have put them. You will then have ideal walls to display a serious piece of fabric art.

First, establish the natural traffic patterns of everyday life, then lay the room out around them.

Torrie Williams thanked tatts
  • okibujp
    6 years ago

Torrie, don't know if either of these layouts would work.

Large buit-in shelving and tv wall.

Or... tv above the fireplace and using that big wall for art. Maybe a built-in later.

Torrie Williams thanked okibujp
  • Torrie Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

BeverlyFLADeziner wouldn't it be easier for anyone in the kitchen/dining area to see the tv if it was on the opposite wall? If it's on the short wall then everyone has to be in the living area to see it.

• rocketjcat
    6 years ago
    Love Beverly's media unit on the short wall. I don't think anyone's going to be able to really see that tv from any other room, regardless of the wall. I would put a tv in the kitchen to watch while you're cooking or cleaning up in there, if that's a concern. Not sure why you would remove fireplace?
  • kaye1951
    6 years ago

Please don't remove the FP!

• Torrie Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Arrangement I decided on. Thanks to all that responded. Looking for an area rug and something for the wall above fireplace.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

are those all black sofas? if not could you take from front with better light?

• jansgirl
    6 years ago

I see three black rectangles!

• Torrie Williams
    Original Author
    6 years ago

They're brown with paisley design.

• PRO
    Carly Blalock Interiors
    6 years ago

What type of feel are you wanting? We can always help achieve what you are looking for if you give an idea of what you are wanting to use the room for and what style you are wanting.

• havingfun
    6 years ago

trying to bring in something other than brown?

Karastan Spice Market Saigon Multi Area Rug – Incredible Rugs and Decor · More Info

Bowen Cream/Blue Area Rug & Reviews | Joss & Main · More Info

Rugs | eSaleRugs · More Info

Modern Area Rugs | AllModern · More Info

Torrie Williams thanked havingfun
  • PRO
    Carly Blalock Interiors
    6 years ago

I really like the 2nd and 4th option. Where are you looking at rugs? We have an entire line of items as we are a stocking dealer as well as a full service interior design firm.

• Melissa Gallagher
    6 years ago
    I'd remove those sconces. They don't look good there.
  • PRO
    Carly Blalock Interiors
    6 years ago

I agree with Melissa