Software
Houzz Logo Print
samlhewitt

Family room help with colors... paint regret?!?!

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

My small family room (10.5' x 18.5') was originally BM Van Courtland Blue which made the room feel very cave like to us.... in addition to being crowded with dark leather furniture that just didn't fit right. I ordered a new sectional in light gray, and painted the walls a creamy off-white in hopes to brighten and warm the room up. Now I'm thinking perhaps I should have gone with a whiter white, or a greige.... Perhaps it's just because it's empty. What do you think?

Also, that door and those windows - so choppy! The blinds provide needed privacy, but blah. What about a black door with a window film - too cheap looking? Or maybe plantation shutters on the big windows?

Also planning new tables and rug, still TBD though. The lamps stay. Thanks so much!!!






Comments (18)

  • 7 years ago

    So just to clarify, the room is already painted in the pics with the dark furniture? And you will be replacing the dark furniture with a sectional in the fabric from the first pic? And the paint in the 2nd and 3rd pic is the same as the paint in the first pic, even though the light makes it look different?


    In the first pic, I think the fabric looks fine with the paint. The light in the 2nd and 3rd pics makes the paint look extremely yellow, but it will have the same color shift on the sectional, so I don't think you will have a mismatch in the end. You can't compare or make judgments about whether colors will work together unless you are looking at them in the same light--and at least under the light in the 1st photo, they look fine together.

  • 7 years ago

    Yes, I already painted from blue to Behr Palais White. The new furniture which will be the light gray in the pic still won't arrive for a few weeks. So plenty of time to change things! Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    the sectional will be fine. that leather chair seems too big for the space. Do you have any artwork? a different coffee table you can use?

    blinds would be nice, or some drapes. not a fan of mini-blinds.

    next to the door, under the window, put a little something there.



    not necessarily this style,,,just showing you some ideas.




  • 7 years ago

    I'm planning on new artwork and tables, I just don't have them yet. With the wood wall, I do worry about too many wood colors. Originally to the left of the door we had hooks and hung coats there. I'm thinking of moving that or using a coat stand to the right of the door. A little table like you picture would be nice to catch keys, wallets, etc. thanks!

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Who worries about too many wood colors? I have medium toned wood floors, lots of brown mahogany antique furniture (all slightly different colors due to age etc), and a blonde Biedermeier chest in the front hall that is open to the LR. It all works!

  • 7 years ago

    Either your lampshades or the bulbs in them are giving off a yellow cast. If it's the bulbs, consider changing to a 3500-4000K LED for a more cool white color. The paint color and fabric sample seem as though they'll be fine together.


    I love my plantation shutters but they can be pricey-about $20 s.f. If that's out of budget, how about a nice woven blind with some texture? You can do a privacy film on the front door. There are options that aren't too cheesy looking.

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks! Any thoughts on if should paint the door black or just a refresh of the current white?

  • 7 years ago

    Not a Pro.


    Just curious, is there going to be a tv in this area?

  • 7 years ago

    i would wait until you get all your new furniture and artwork hung. see how it looks and then decide on a color.

  • 7 years ago

    Not a Pro.


    You "liked" my post, so that makes me think you are putting a tv in the room.


    A tv. on that wood wall would look great.


    Saw this inspiration pic. You would just flip it. I don't know your exact measurements on your sectional, just giving you some inspiration.



    Family Room · More Info


    Contemporary Family Room · More Info


  • 7 years ago

    Too soon to repaint and until all the pieces are in place,impossible to know which way to tweak the wall colour or the door. Get the new furniture in and then decide. Window-wise, I would look at plantations for the window. or maybe roman shades. Will there be a TV in the room?

  • 7 years ago
    The tv and receiver, Apple TV, WiFi, dvd, speakers, and subwoofer are currently a mess on the wall opposite the sofa. And advice for that is welcomed as well!
  • 7 years ago

    Not a Pro.


    When you get a chance, it would help a lot if you post a pic with all the dimensions of the room with doorways, etc.


    You will get lots of great advice with more information.

  • 7 years ago
    Here’s my old school attempt at drawing to scale. :)
  • 7 years ago

    I would paint the door a shiny red. But I have a thing for red doors.

  • 7 years ago

    I like the color of the walls and sofa swatch but it is reading very yellow in other pictures. Hard to advise on door color till we see art, accent pillows and new rug. I like your wood wall. You need to streamline tv area. You need to find a home for the shoes and assorted paraphernali.


  • 7 years ago

    How about a nice console for under the t.v. with a mounted sound bar? That would eliminate a lot of equipment and give the area some order. It might also give you room for a cabinet for shoes and coats to get those out of sight as well. IKEA has some great components that could be put together to make a cohesive unit that would store coats, shoes, and equipment.