collectorguru

Yikes! All Things Investment Property....Help this First Timer!

Design2 girl
October 2, 2019

I am looking at an investment property that I will probably sell in the spring, and I would like to hear/discuss your strategies for best return of investment. I am calling this is a "post war 60s ranch over basement" home in an excellent neighborhood zoned for good schools, on a nice corner double lot, but it clearly needs a lot of updating. So, think original vintage 1961 kitchen, with the bathtub you can imagine.

So, yep, lets talk about all things Investment Property and help me stay focused on the goal here...which is to SELL. Not improve like I will be living there.

Here she is ...in all her glory. The exterior is actually white brick on bottom with white shingles. (Not sure why my picture is so cream looking, it is definitely white) So, I would love to hear your thoughts beginning with the exterior. The front door is a full light french door with a glass security door.

(6) Mimi Tucker · More Info

Thank you in advance.

Flo Mangan

I would not paint cement porch but I would get a big oversized welcome mat. I think you are right on the tree. With the security door and the style of the entry door not sure red would be seen much. Might think about a aqua instead. Hard from here to tell true colors of home. Red might feel too strong for this cute house. I know you will make it welcoming for sure. Paint inside if door interior trim color.

Flo Mangan

Oh one more thing. Clean or get cleaned all windows inside and out. Big plus!

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan

Yikes! Where do I begin with this Kitchen? Needs an update!

I, too, have a house done in oak cabinetry and trim. I used to think yellows or creams were my only options to match the warmth of the wood tone. Until I tried a wonderful gray/green color! The wood is warm...and outdoorsy...and natural looking. What goes better with that than a soft green that is outdoorsy as well?! The color I have now is from Lowe's.. Valspar Cherokee Tan, one of their heritage colors. I have people ask me all the time what it is. My mom swears it is gray, others say green. It changes, depending on the lighting and time of day. It is so restful. And calms down the orange-ness of the oak. My daughter did a similar tone in her house..same color trim. It looks amazing. Her house has lots of floor to ceiling windows...7 in the great room...and it is a great color that doesn't compete with the view outdoors. Just another idea...

Major help decorating my dull living room (First time living alone)

Those photos are beautiful! I'm not a crazy fan about the mirror here just because it doesn't have a frame or anything around it.. it's just a big piece of glass. The reason I don't pay too much attention to it is because we're considering moving in about a few months. I'm just the landlord wouldn't mind us to add a frame around it just don't want to invest too much money and then have to move out to a new place and I'm sure this mirror a one of a kind type of things you usually see in living rooms

Basement Floor leaks, help please

Bevan Rice: Glad you've healed enough to get on your computer. Since we have a similar problem, I can tell you that gutter drains were a big part of our water intrusion. The one furthest from our basement emptied onto a gravel path around the garage. I noticed the ground had sunk about 3" since we bought the house, less than 2 yrs ago. Our future son-in-law dug a channel about 20' long and laid drain pipe from the gutter, the type with no side holes. The gutter water for the 2 car garage with attached shop now drains at the corner of the vegetable garden, well away from the basement. We still have some hydrostatic seepage into our basement, but no more puddles. Still to be completed is french drains and regrading in the front shrubbery bed and next to the house in the back yard.

What is this little roof thing called?

They are SUPER hardy - I'm sure they'll withstand a second hard pruning. Believe it or not - this was a couple of months after my mother and I spent the better part of 2 days cutting them back! They were full through the bottom cutting them back and drastically improved their health. I'm not sure if I want to cut them down and let more light in or just completely remove them and do something lighter in appearance - like something with taller grasses and adding first floor window boxes. I was also thinking of somehow adding that same wider trim that is currently on the bottom windows, to the top. We are currently renting the home so I have some time to think before we invest when we move back in! I do like seeing the house without the shrubbery on the left though! Thank you!
  • greg_2015

The front door is full glass, so painting it red probably won't have the drastic eye drawing affect that your example pictures do.

Here's a mock up:

Design2 girl thanked greg_2015
  • doug_ b

I don't see how paint / house numbers, etc is going to add to the value of the home. I supposed you inherited the home. Just sell it.

• tqtqtbw

Clear it, clean it, sell it. Remove all furniture if the house has a stale smell, particularly upholstered items and drapes. You can stage it if the market will bear the cost or just sell. Then sell it as fast as possible since someone else is waiting for a cut of the profit.

Turning this into a makeover project seems like fun but I don't see that it as necessary. It's a cute house that you need to sell.

Design2 girl thanked tqtqtbw
  • Design2 girl

ohhh, boo. I don't like that full light door painted red with the security door over it. thanks for the mock up. I really hate to remove the full glass door, because it is a nice, heavy door. What else could I do to the front door to make it stand out?

• sushipup1

Nothing. Just price the house to sell and save yourself time and expense that you won't get back.

Design2 girl thanked sushipup1
  • hollybar

D2G, you don't need the door to stand out. You need the whole house to look as well maintained and clean as possible. Focus your effort$$ there. For example,instead of painting the door, I'd make sure it sparkles and that the porch is pristine. A cute mat and a couple planters,maybe. How long does the average listing take to sell in this area?

edit to add: we have also inherited and sold properties. You will likely realize the best return when you can shift your mindset away from most "permanent aesthetic improvements". One exception I'd agree with you on, might be the flooring. Depend$$$$.

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
  • ptreckel

Take off the storm door and put it in the garage. Let the next owner choose to re install it or replace it...or leave it off. That way you get the benefit of the unobscured, painted front door when you are showing the home. Same with any shutters that you remove. Put them in the back of the garage. Perhaps the next owner will want to reinstall them. Or toss them. Show the home the way that you believe it should be seen. (Been there, done that!). Good luck!

Design2 girl thanked ptreckel
  • Design2 girl

Okay, I am going to wait about the front door/porch until I get the house cleaned out and refreshed. BUT, that said, I am planning to paint all ceilings, walls, interior trim, and get rid of the flowery wallpaper. That has to be done.

Anybody want to share their all time favorite white-off white-neutral wall color to use throughout? And the existing vintage kitchen cabinets are white and I am planning to have those painted....although, who knows, I might wash them down with vinegar and water and see how they look. LOL, I have to say ..all you houzzers are not compelling me to go hogwild on this project. And I thank you all for such great insight.

The floors are actually pretty, hollybar, and if my hardwood guy does them, I am thinking a natural color, just light and airy for this house. Definitely NO bona, waterpopped 14K job! lol. However, I am inclined to leave the carpet and the linoleum at this point, mainly because the kitchen floor is decent. At the most, I could just put down new carpet in the bedrooms.

And, I agree about removing the curtains, fabrics, etc. Do you think I need to put blinds on all the windows?

• hollybar

I so wanna see the interiors, D2G. Ya write such compelling dilemmas! White-wise, just ask the painter what he uses most. & yeah,it might not be worth it to paint the cabs either. Something to consider is that in polls here and elsewhere, folks are about 50/50 on whether they prefer hardwood or carpet in bedrooms.

Are you planning to stage from your room of treasures?

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
    Flo Mangan

Just a word or two. Less is more. As to off white favs, SW pale Oak is a great neutral and can go with woods and most other tones. Just did a master bath and bedroom with it and it looks fresh and great. I think I have picture. Bbl

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

Here is pic. It looks pink in this photo but it is lightest gray tone. You can see how it plays with the white wainscoting too.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • Design2 girl

I like that color, Flo. It would provide a little contrast with the white cabinets in the kitchen, and give a little warmth. It is on the Samplize list now.

How do you feel about the whole house in that color? The hall bathroom has some vintage tile that I will post a pic of the next time I go over there. It is a bit yellow, not screaming 1960 yellow, but speckled yellow, lol.

And the hardwoods have that orange-glow, so I need a paint color that goes a little warm is my thinking.

• apple_pie_order

Another "Yikes!" dilemma on preparing the interior for sale would probably get a lot of comments. With photos, of course. Was this a relative's home or rented out to a tenant?

• HeatherInOR

I would suggest keeping it in the spirit of when it was built. We were just looking at small 1950's houses and it was so discouraging to walk into a remodeled place with grey everything, shaker kitchens and home depot vanities. Like some others here have said... enhance the charm. Refrain from a big box store remodel. Interior pics would be great!

Design2 girl thanked HeatherInOR
    Flo Mangan

This family has adjoining flooring that is quite orange wood look laminate and the Pale Oak tempers it. But they also have very little natural light so get sample first of course.

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • Design2 girl

Whew, I have been busy over here and I'm catching up.

ApplePie, this is a family member's home, never rented out and yes, pretty much original

HeatherinOR, thank you so much for your comments, and omgeee, I definitely agree with you, no Shaker kitchen in the works over here. I am going to embrace the "vintage charm".

And, the floors are original 1960 hardwood, in orange glow color. Wishing they were natural, to be honest.

I will post interior pics, but there is some moving of contents that must occur before I can take appropriate pictures.

And, now, lets discuss the possibility of using a realtor vs FSBO. My initial thought is to put up a sign FSBO, but I have been reading about the apparent decline of successful home sales by owners and would like your thoughts on that issue. Clearly an online saturation of the right pictures on the right sites with the right keywords.....and the next thing you know, the FSBO is at a distinct disadvantage. And, now I am questioning if I want to go there by myself (its about 40 minute drive) and show this house to complete strangers on the drop of a hat's notice and be available alllll the time, etc, etc and I have compiled a list of interview questions to fire off to find a realtor that knows that market. In this area, I have been told it is a seller's market, ie, there are more buyers looking than inventory available, with the average home on the market ~30-60 days if priced appropriately. So, I am toying with the idea of trying the FSBO sign for 30 days, then listing it. Or, do you think that appears tainted? Looking for good advice here. And thank you all again.

• ulisdone

Try a Zillow FSBO listing for a week or so, but be aware there is paper work with offer agreements, escrow account, etc. A lawyer is needed from the start.

If the listing price is relatively low, a realtor’s fee may be a worthy expense for you.

Design2 girl thanked ulisdone
  • greg_2015

Don't show the house by yourself. Always have a friend or family member. If that's not possible, then don't do FSBO.

Design2 girl thanked greg_2015
  • lindacottonwood

What ever you do, please get professional photos done. My husband does Real Estate

photography and I can tell you the photos WILL definitely make a difference. Sometimes a

Realtor has an on staff Photographer but sometimes not.

Cell phone photos just don't do the job properly.

Design2 girl thanked lindacottonwood
  • Lyndee Lee

In my case, we have always done the word of mouth FSBO. My most successful approach has been referrals. I would hesitate to put a FSBO sign out front if the house is not occupied. You could also list on Craigslist or Facebook but I dont know if the chance of getting serious calls is worth all the sales calls from realtors. Just dont be coy about the price, pick your number, add $5,000 and let buyers know. I hate calling about something supposedly for sale and find the seller doesnt have a price, just looking for offers.

For one house, I took pictures and put them in a collage using a photo service added address and phone number. Then I had an offer to print photos for 5 cents each so I invested a couple bucks and had postcards to hand out.

That house did not sell that way as it was during the foreclosure glut but now I would be flooded with calls. It was an investment of $5 and an hour...well worth trying. Then you could invest another hour or two and drop off postcards in the surrounding couple blocks and post on the community board at the library, donut shop, coffee shop, grocery store, etc.

Design2 girl thanked Lyndee Lee
  • homechef59

I found this thread D2D! I actually know something about the subject. In real life, I'm a retired real estate appraiser.

First, given that it is a shared property interest in an estate means that you will need an appraisal for the estate. Talk to the attorney handling the estate and they will arrange it.

Second, do almost nothing to the property. You aren't a landlord. You aren't a realtor, either. The property should be sold. You need to interview at least three realtors about listing the home. This will get you an idea as to what the general value is and how to cheaply and easily maximize profitability.

I want you to resist with all your might the impulse to fix this house up. I know you and I know you are itching to do it. Resist.

What you do need to do is clean and clear the yard and landscaping. Clean and repair the gutters. Pressure wash the house, the patio, entry and driveway. Clear the interior of the house out. Have the carpets shampooed, don't replace. What you really want to achieve is clean, clutter free and smelling good. That's the key to success for this property.

More than likely, this property will be sold to an investor. Let them buy the paint and fix it up. That's what they do. It's not what you do. You must resist.

Talk to the agent's first before you do anything else.

You can put a FSBO sign in the front yard, once you get an idea of the valuation while you are clearing it out. Investor's will find you. Stay away from Craigslist. It's a jungle filled with ripoff artists. The investors in the area will start calling. Investor's don't care about dirt or clutter. Be very careful about meeting with anyone. Never alone and always during the day.

Flo Mangan

Totally agree on pro real estate photographer. The Internet is first chance shoppers have to see your house. Good photos are vital!!

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

D2G I saw this rug for your daughter's living room the other day and have been so darn busy I haven't had time to post it. Have you seen this one? Trying to post. grrr

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
    Flo Mangan

rug

Area Rugs · More Info

Area Rugs · More Info

Design2 girl thanked Flo Mangan
  • niccidhg

Here is a little house ,with beautifully refinished floors ,that recently went pending in two days. Huge appeal for buyers because the entire interior was painted with either a crisp Behr Ultre White, no tint, or SW Zurich White. Another nice neutral ( not too gray, not too yellow ) off white is BM Calm . It is another off white that still shows a hint of color, but is much lighter than “the neutrals “. See photos - a very clean, fresh look , I think. Also, when staging , some live greenery with this all white look never hurts, imo. , even if there is no furniture .

Design2 girl thanked niccidhg
  • Thomas Wadden

I generally agree with most of what's already been said here. I'm not a flipper myself but I have a few buddies who do it for a living and it's no small task. Poor decisions can result in thousands of dollars lost. Landscape, paint, clean, and de-clutter. Leave the rest.

• Design2 girl

Yesterday, I had another paint quote on this little house. Geez, he was more than double the first guy. And this is why I get 3 quotes for most everything. How ridiculous, and he thought I wouldn't be aware of current pricing.

Flo, thanks for the rug...I assure you, I am about done with looking for Emily's rug, she needs to love whatever she chooses because trying them out is wearing me out. LOL! And, I am trying to stay focused on this project.

Homechef, you are soooooo right! As far as an appraisal, we did have an "investor" make an offer (which I refused) but I am giving the family member the price they requested which is greater than half of the offer, and we are settling at the end of the month. All parties are willing and able and now, the cleaning out of contents and moving items is happening. We kept it simple and I will be managing all the issues, legal, repairs, etc.

But, I am seriously taking all these comments to heart, because my goal here is to sell it and recoup my costs and I have decided that I absolutely do not want to be a landlord.

And, yes, the landscape needs attention, and powerwashing, cleaning and removing junk is at the top of the priority list.

As far as what I would Want to do....you are right...those projects always seem to snowball and I'm sure it would be easy to get in over my head on this deal. But, would you leave flowery wallpaper???? I think it is a huge turn off to most potential buyers. I am inclined to want to paint, and Niccodhg....I love those pics of the house you posted! Just gorgeous. I really like the white and bright look. I am really debating about stripping that wallpaper which is of the devil or allowing the painter to spackle the seams and use Kilz over it before painting it. If anybody has experience with this, would love to hear your opinions. I'm sure this is the one issue that is going to be a headache. What do you think is the best method?

As I have been researching authentic 1960 historic colors by SW, I am looking at Classic Light Buff SW 0050 with SW Pure White trim and cabinets, since the cabinets are already white. But, do you think a starker white would be better? The home faces west and gets afternoon light in the big picture window on the front.

Sherwin Williams Classic Light Buff (0050) – Samplize · More Info

The popcorn ceilings are remaining but will be lightly sprayed clean fresh white.

Getting the insurance is proving to be a PITA because most companies don't like vacant homes. Ugh. Any thoughts on that issue here? I am waiting on the second quote for homeowners insurance.

• hollybar

How much paper and how long has it been up there and who installed and who is removing ...naw,do the KILZ and spray the paint. I never paint anything too,too white in an older house because it can highlight every imperfection while also risks looking dingy,cold and sterile. I would want a slight contrast between the wall colour and the trim (same shade,different sheen often works) with a bit more contrast between the kitchen cabs and the kitchen walls. Are you still painting the cabs? Also, my selling a house mojo/voodoo is painting the master a pale but discernable blue and sticking a rosemary plant somewhere inside :-)

Design2 girl thanked hollybar
  • tlynn1960

Perhaps you'll have better luck than I did, but as I mentioned in a previous comment, the end date of my deceased mother's homeowner's insurance policy was our main issue. Fortunately, we had about nine months before the policy ended.

We checked with three companies (my mother's, my sibling's and mine) and none would insure an unoccupied home even with a security system already in place (my sibling and I only lived 15 minutes away and were in and out almost daily). This was an all brick/slate roof home in an affluent zip code with little, if any, crime, but there must be other parameters that impact the insurance companies' decision to refuse to insure.

Thankfully, we completed the very time-intensive clean out, arranged for minimal handyman type repairs and it went under contract/sold with time to spare. Ongoing utility and misc home and community bills also were a catalyst to get the home sold as quickly as possible too besides the looming insurance deadline.

Design2 girl thanked tlynn1960
  • apple_pie_order

Lots of progress, good for you. Alas, I don't think there's any magic white or off-white shade that ensures a quick sale. There are regional preferences for particular off white shades, probably having a lot to do with being available as a ready-mixed (not custom) color that you can pop in and buy without waiting to have it mixed. In my area's biggest paint chain, the most popular off whites are Cottage White and Swiss Coffee.

You could get an estimate from a professional wallpaper remover. Some wallpapers have been installed over layer after layer of other painted wallpaper and when you remove much of it, you find the decades-old plaster surface is being held together by the paper. I've had no qualms about spackling the seams and painting over wallpaper in a normal house (not historic landmark).

Design2 girl thanked apple_pie_order
  • Design2 girl

Okay, first good news of the day, My insurance guy just called back with a reasonable quote for replacement coverage that includes indoor water damage as well as a second quote for rental liability that was less coverage, but would probably get the job done. I am inclined to go with the full replacement policy since it will just be short term. So, at least it is going to be available.

It is my understanding that the current homeowners insurance will be stopped as soon as the deed is fully transferred my way, so this issue is really of the essence to me. Check.

And, second good news of the day, my electrician stated that the fuse panel, while older and not the current panel of choice, is certainly still in use in many homes in this area, and he ventured to state that I probably don't have to rewire this entire house. So, for now, nope, not planning to rewire if there is not any issues with it.

In addition, I located all the recent HVAC paperwork with the date it was replaced in 2017. The roof was replaced 7 years ago. All the pipes were changed to PVC as well, so I hope I am covered on the big stuff.

The SW manager here recommended a very lightweight wall spackle that is not too heavy or wet over the seams of the wallpaper, then Kilz, then proceed. I think the key is not too much weight on these vintage walls/ceilings. Makes me nervous, but not as nervous as starting to strip it and getting into major sheet rock repairs. Ugh.

Here is just a snippet of the small master bathroom that has the original small square tiles and it was treated with the DIY Rustoleum Tile Transformation about 2 years ago, and I think in here, maybe a new brightened up shower curtain and I considered painting the walls SW Glimmer, to give it a freshened up look. All fixtures, flooring stays in place.

I'm thinking maybe Glimmer, which is just a very light color, but it works with so much. Not nearly as saturated as Sea Salt.

Aqua was definitely a vintage 60s color and this gives a hint of that while still being a bit modern. And the bathroom needs something to liven it up, don't you think?

Interested in all ideas.

• apple_pie_order

No need to buy a shower curtain, just take the old one away. Buyers want to see the condition of the shower. The light green paint is pretty. A cream color is another option, just a shade more intense than the shower surface. Fill the holes in the tile above the sink. Remove the lace curtains or wash them and rehang them if the window needs privacy.

Design2 girl thanked apple_pie_order
  • sushipup1

Have you talked to at least 3 realtors yet? You could save yourself a heck of a lot of trouble if you that first.

• Lyndee Lee

You can find a color described as high hiding white, usually with the premixed contractor paint. Another good premixed choice is Navaho White, very light, slightly yellow color. Especially for ceilings, you can go cheap paint as the flat paint.

My usual is after ceilings are painted, I pour off some paint for touchup (not a problem anyway since I used premixed flat that I can purchase at any time) and use the rest for wall paint. My favorite color for this...best one I find at ReStore or oops counter combined with enough white paint to get a light result. If you find a dark blue, green,or gray paint, be careful as it doesn't take much to put some color in white. I usually try for a light green or blue, failing that something around the color of oatmeal.

Wallpaper...ugh! Sometimes it comes off easily but that isn't going to be obvious until you try. If it is paper, try a small space and see if it comes off easy, otherwise paint. If it is vinyl, see if the front will pull off leaving the paper backing. At that point, you can test removal, then prime with oil and fix the walls. If you prime with waterbase, it will soak into the paper and bubble up and make it tough to get a decent looking surface. I recently took off a small section of wallpaper and it was super easy but it often takes more work. In any case, you must wash the wall extremely well to remove the glue before painting unless you prune with oil

• Lyndee Lee

Be honest with the insurance agent and read the policy carefully . Most homeowner's policies have exclusions and occupancy, or true intent to occupy, may be in that list. When we left our house vacant for a long time, we had to switch to vacant property coverage which was about double the money and provided half the coverage. Just because you have a one year policy does not mean that you have coverage for that time if you don't maintain any required residency. Hopefully that won't end up being an issue for you!

• Design2 girl

I just got the first reference back on realtor #1 that I interviewed. I am working on the realtor thing and on Tuesday, I will be having a discussion with the Title Company people and getting their recommendations as well.

And, yes, Lyndee Lee, I am going to read the exact policy requirements as well as the coverages, I meant to pick it up today, so probably Monday on that. It was a phone call and I agree, I need to read all that fine, tiny, teeny-weeny print!

• Ellen Tracy

I had a mid century modest house with original bathrooms and kitchen and I loved it and was so happy it had not been done over. Lots of young people today like that mid century homey style.

Design2 girl thanked Ellen Tracy
    Flo Mangan

Some great advice here D2G

Window Accents by Vanessa Downs

Look into Results MLS out of middle TN. We used them 7 years ago when we sold our house. We’ve had several friends use them with success. Basically you’re buying an MLS listing from them. In the price you get to post photos up to a certain number, you get a yard sign, and a lock box for the door, and your listing goes in the MLS as well as on several realtor websites. You are acting as the seller’s realtor. The buyer’s realtor shows the house (via lockbox key) so you don’t have to be there. You’re plugged in to a website and get feedback after every showing. You can pay an extra fee to have the Results MLS realtor handle negotiations when an offer comes in. We handled it ourselves. By using this company we paid 3% commission plus the small fee to buy the listing, instead of the usual 6%.

Design2 girl thanked Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    RL Relocation LLC

has anyone suggested a raised porch across the right side of the front? I know you all have moved on from that probably too late.

but here I go anyway lol

Design2 girl thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Design2 girl

Wow, I really love that idea as it would solve a myriad of issues, namely the drainage from the gutter on the right, the aging concrete, incorporating additional landscaping under the tree that refuses grass, as well as giving some great front porch hanging out space. Thank you for the rendition. I'm probably too cheap to execute it. Love the thought though.

• kazzh

Here's my visualisation..... just include in your imagination black shutters!

playings · More Info

Design2 girl thanked kazzh
  • homechef59

Resist. Resist. Resist.

It's good to have a list of major improvements. All mechanicals in working order.

Leave the wall paper as is. That's a time sucker with little reward. Paint will be a time and money sucker, too.

Anything that you do will just be done again. You will be selling to someone who wants to renovate or use it as a rental. All you need to provide is clean, cleared out, mowed, trimmed, and a good power wash.

Everything else is up to the new buyer.

Design2 girl thanked homechef59
  • mainenell

Use a realtor. They handle so much. We just sold a two-unit building and the realtor handled everything! Coordinated showings, reviewed 8 offers, 14 showings, sales contracts, etc. he was worth the price. He also took fabulous pictures!

• eileen403

Following

• Design2 girl

(Window Accents by) Vanessa, I am reading ResultsMLS.com and it sounds very organized and impressive. The reviews are positive and it may just be the right fit for this situation. I like the idea of a lockbox and they provide professional photography as well. Looking to see if Cleveland is an option, I am thinking so but I want to make sure.