Software
Houzz Logo Print
shawn_corrigan

Is this non symmetry a problem?

4 years ago

my cabinet guy designed our island

The first cupboard to the left of the sink is a pull out garbage/recycle door. this means, that cabinet pull will have to be horizontal while the rest are vertical. Is this usual and unavoidable?

Keep it as is, I’m being Too picky
It’s just wrong!

Comments (9)

  • 4 years ago

    Why not choose other pulls that are installed horizontal?

    shawn c thanked Yvonne Martin
  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I know this is just a rendering but where will the outlets go, surely not in the waterfall? Waterfall is a very modern look that works great in many spaces but is getting overused (I see it shown with shaker?). I would also do full height doors on the sink cabinet and apply a panel to the dishwasher but that’s just me.

  • 4 years ago

    Wouldn‘t you get symmetry if you got rid of the drawers and went with full height on the cupboards plus the panel on the dishwasher?

  • 4 years ago

    A kitchen is a workshop. Practical overrules symmetry. When you are cleaning up after Thanksgiving dinner, will you still worry the trash cabinet handle is wrong? My dishwasher panel has the same situation. I never notice and not a single guest or family member has refused to eat at my house because the one handle was horizontal!

    shawn c thanked remodeling1840
  • 4 years ago

    I think it’ll be fine. But if it’s something that bothers you - you can avoid it.
    You can just switch all the pulls to horizontal.
    Or you can do knobs.
    Or you can do a tab pull - those modern style ones...

    Again, I don’t think it’ll be noticeable, especially if the knobs are all in the same finish... But here are a few photos if you want to consider st else...

    shawn c thanked HU-187528210
  • 4 years ago

    Even though the handle is vertical as pictured, the trash drawer will open. Maybe not with the same smoothness as a center spaced horizontal pull. Possibly 90% as smooth until you get the hang of it. It's a compromise, as many things are. You choose your priority.

  • 4 years ago

    Thank you all for your input. I was very helpful in preparation for my appointment.
    Hallet & Co, the island does not have a waterfall countertop.

  • PRO
    4 years ago

    I think you have the right to choose what will be better for you because is it your kitchen! So answering your question you can actually:

    1. Move the garbage to another section, so it'll be no problem with symmetry.

    2. Change the garbage bin to vertical (or whatever you need)

    3. Just leave it as it is (it's not a big deal at all).


    The main thing is your comfort.

  • 4 years ago

    No, it is not.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations