Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longdogwalker

contract language about delays

longdogwalker
last year

My contract with a kitchen remodeler includes this language: “Homeowner agrees that the date of Substantial Completion may be extended for 30 days without incurring damages or penalty for such delays or stoppage.”

The project is almost complete, but it is over 30 days past the date set in the contract for “substantial completion”, so I want to negotiate for a reduction in final payment. However the contract doesn’t include any guidelines for how to calculate the dollar amount of the “damages or penalty”.

The contract includes reasons for permissible delay on the contractor’s part, but I don’t believe those reasons have been met. I am still in good communication with the contractor, I want to negotiate in good faith for a reduction in payment, which I believe the contract clearly entitles me to. One concern I have is that I may be penalized for paying the final late, as I take time to negotiate any reduction.

Thank you for input from anyone who has experience or knowledge of these matters.

Comments (14)

• denkyem
    last year

I can't speak to the legal side of this, but I can speak to how it's likely to play out practically. Because there are no set damages, you're frankly probably not getting any money back. You can certainly ask (term it as if OF COURSE there will be a discount given x language in clause x) but seems unlikely. Even if you don't think the threshold for "excusable delays" has been met, it's a grey area and I bet he can argue that it was. My contractor's "excusable delays" list includes a massive range of things (including "labour disputes", which reads like it's about union strikes, but I pointed out to him he could use that to cover his subs just not bothering to show up to work for a week or two! Which happened on a previous project with him.)

However, certainly don't make the next payment until substantial completion is really done, and make sure you're holding back enough $ that you can be sure it's worth your contractor's while to come back and finish any last bits falling under "final completion".

Here's what I did with my contractor in a similar situation: I told him that given time overruns I had no confidence that he would come back to do the "final completion" items in a timely manner, and needed to ensure there was a financial incentive for him to do so. Together we enumerated all the remaining "final completion" items and worked together to assign $ amounts to each. I then indicated I would be withholding an amount equivalent to double that total until final completion was really truly done -- meaning it definitely paid off for him to come back and finish the stuff, and if he didn't I could afford to find someone else. The contract didn't give me the right to do this, but it was a reasonable compromise given the circumstances and my contractor agreed it was fair. I made the rest of my "final completion" payment minus this holdback as soon as he agreed to this in writing, so him agreeing got cash in his hands quickly, which I think is often the primary motivator for contractors. I had been super timely with all other payments to date so there was good will and some trust in our relationship. Legally, it would never have been worth his while to come after for the last couple thousand dollars.

Basically what I'm saying is your contract isn't going to protect you and you likely need to work this out through some polite and good-willed but firm person-to-person negotiation.

longdogwalker thanked denkyem
  • Mama Cita
    last year

“Substantial Completion” means the space can be occupied and used for its intended purpose. It doesn’t mean everything is finished. I would only seek compensation if my contractor had acted irresponsibly and I incurred damages as a result, such as unplanned hotel stays.

longdogwalker thanked Mama Cita
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    last year

Unlikely you will be successful with the current state of the supply chain.

longdogwalker thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • longdogwalker
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

Thanks everyone for the input. I haven't made my final payment, so it's not a matter of me expecting the GC to pay me a penalty, it's a matter of me being justified in withholding a certain amount of the final payment. Regarding the supply chain, the GC has agreed with me that the delays were not due to lack of supplies. Delays were due to miscommunication between various project managers on their end, and weeks going by when work was not being done.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

For a dose of perspective, many threads on houzz.com report remodeling projects which have dragged on many months--some more than a year--past the estimated completion date. Many deal with multiple issues and cost overruns. Some deal with contractor's abandoning the project. I'm not sure how "substantial completion" is defined in your contract, but it sounds like your remodeler has achieved that. Suggesting you're entitled to a reduction in the contract price because they didn't achieve 100% completion seems silly to me--especially in the current environment.

longdogwalker thanked Charles Ross Homes
  • millworkman
    last year

"but it is over 30 days past the date set in the contract for “substantial completion”,"\

How much "over" the 30 days? Honestly just because the contract states that does not mean you should hold his feet to the fire over that clause. You mention in good faith, maybe if the delays were many months over the 30 days but it does not sound like the case. You state your on good terms with him, do not make it sound like he did a poor job, was screwing you over. More over it sounds to me like you want to cheap because your contract gives you an out to do so........................

• longdogwalker
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

I got quotes from several contractors. Most had an estimated completion date. One had a firm completion date, and that quote was higher than the ones with estimated completion dates. A firm completion date has value to me, so I went with that contractor. I paid a premium for a firm completion date. Then, they didn't meet the deadline they set. And I incurred additional expenses because the project wasn't done on time.

I understand that in this business, it's difficult to meet deadlines, which is why most people set estimated completion dates. But this contractor chose to write a contract with a firm completion date.

• millworkman
    last year

"One had a firm completion date, and that quote was higher than the ones with estimated completion dates. A firm completion date has value to me, so I went with that contractor. I paid a premium for a firm completion date."

All information that may have made a complete difference in everyone's advice above.........................

longdogwalker thanked millworkman
  • longdogwalker
    Original Author
    last year

Thanks for pointing that out millworkman. Posting here and reading the advice is helping me organize my thinking about this and how I describe the situation. To be clear, when I say "I paid a premium", I don't mean the company said, "you have the option of taking the estimated completion date or paying extra for a firm completion date." I mean that the contractor who offered the firm completion date was more expensive than the contractors who offered estimated completion dates.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

I would never sign a contract with a penalty clause.

"The contract includes reasons for permissible delay on the contractor’s part, but I don’t believe those reasons have been met."

And that's why.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

We don't know the details of the OP's contract with their remodeler nor whether it includes a penalty clause.

In the "worked for a large corporation" portion of my career, a purchasing agent advised me that a contractor penalty clause for late completion needed to be balanced with an early completion bonus payable to the contractor. We never included a late completion clause in any contract I was involved with. Instead, we focused on selecting reputable contractors with a proven track record of on-time completion. That said, we never experienced the type of supply logistics issues we are still experiencing in the covid-19 world. It may be that the OP hasn't been outside nor watched the TV news for the past two years.

Like @Joseph Corlett, LLC, I would never enter into a contract with a penalty clause. There are too many good clients demanding contractors' services to entertain that kind of b.s.

• bry911
    last year

Penalty clauses are not enforceable in construction contracts. However, recovery of damages that were the result of a breach are allowed whether or not they are spelled out in the contract.

The only enforceable "penalty" is liquidated damages. Liquidated damages are just up-front agreements of the actual damages that a party will incur if there is a breach (usually a failure to deliver on time). The right to recover those damages doesn't exist because of the clause, they exist because there was a breach. The only real difference is that liquidated damages only have to be proven reasonable approximations of actual damages and actual damages have to be proven as actual unavoidable costs.

• paltmaie
    last year

I did a major remodel on my home many years ago, and the contractor was amazing and a true craftsman. If he's done a good job for you, on a major remodel, I'm not sure what there is to be gained by nickel and dime-ing him. I do appreciate that delays aren't fun, but with so many variables these days for contractors to deal with, wouldn't it be better to have some give-and-take in the relationship? At any rate, I wouldn't take an adversarial approach - as several have pointed out, it's unlikely to work out, and if you don't pay the agreed amount, as I understand it he could put a lien on your house. I doubt it will help either of you to get adversarial.

I'm about to start a major remodel on my new house, 22 years after the other one, and I hope I can have a relationship of mutual trust and give and take. Complex remodels do need that.