Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
geibe5

Need help

geibe5
10 years ago
What do I need to do to complete this room? Unfortunately , I can't get rid of the maroon carpeting.

Comments (40)

• abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Just wondering what the two couches are facing???? That will help us decide if this is the best arrangement and maybe get more ideas flowing. Thanks!
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Couch in front of mirrors is facing the tv and the other faces the kitchen bar
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Just wondering what is in the corner by the mirror there? A chair???
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The jar on the table by the lamp looks a little too tall and is fighting with the lamp.....but I love both pieces in this room. Is the jar too tall for the ottoman on the tray?
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    In the corner there was a wicker chair and I just threw a cream throw over it... It is now gone. The vase is too big for the ottoman , blocks tv and grandchildren always running around , that's why nothing really on ottoman .
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Why can't you get rid of carpet?
    It is killing your room.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Well, that is the perfect ottoman for grandkids, isn't it!!! OK! Happy the corner chair is gone and that area is clean.
  • ediaz123a
    10 years ago
    I think the living room looks great, if you want to add more, I would suggest accent chair and set up a nice tray on the ottoman with some things you like.. Considering your can't get rid of the carpet.
  • PRO
    Litwiller Construction
    10 years ago
    agreed with abbyjean's suggestion of maroon and gray pillows!
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    $$ preventing me from changing carpet:-)
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Seriously, just get some more accents in the color of the carpet and it will all tie together nicely. What you have right now in this room does not fight with it, so really make it work together even more. IT WILL WORK!
  • PRO
    Design Inside - Chicago
    10 years ago
    Hello! If you move the larger pillows to the corner of the sofas and get some more, fun pillows it will liven up the space. Also, a great throw will move some color around the room. Have you considered getting a larger area rug to cover more of the maroon and help ground the space? I also like the idea of adding a great accent chair. Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • edithsmom
    10 years ago
    Etsy.com has all patterns/sizes of inexpensive pillow covers as abbyjean suggested.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    Do you have enough room to pull everything forward?

something like this would compliment the maroon carpet and pull the sofa in it

Loloi Grant GR-07 7'9" x 9'9" Beige, Multi Rug · More Info
  • PRO
    Design Matters
    10 years ago
    What about a much larger area rug. I like it when area rugs envelop a room, not just definite something inside a space. If the area rug became the floor plane, it would definitely help. What's happening with the mirrors? The shape is unusual but the scale is nice. If it's possible, maybe hanging two of them on the wall horizontally to help define the back wall would look good... and PAINT!!!!....
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm still trying to figure out to hang the mirrors, they are pretty big and I need to make sure it will be safe with the grand kids . They love dancing in front of it.
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The walls are a light gray . Too light?
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    I am sorry to say but until you remove the wall to wall nothing will help this room.
    Don' waste your money.
    Wait until you can remove the carpet and then move forward.
  • PRO
    Design Matters
    10 years ago
    Yes, too light. The back wall needs some punch and I think the mirror frames could get painted as well.
  • zanna1
    10 years ago
    easy...Get rid of area rug and use a LARGE sisal rug. Lose the DARK coffee table and use a glass and metal one to go with the mirrors, also remove the big pillows.
  • PRO
    Cindy Sherman, CKBD
    10 years ago
    Here's a couple simple movement ideas (that would take 15 minutes to decide if it worked or not): Take the 3 mirrors, push the 2 end ones into eachother almost until they touch and place the center one in front of the 2 that you have just pushed (almost) together -- an overlap of some sort. {I noticed that you stated that you weren't sure about the weight to hang one horizontal .. that would have been an idea, and then find new areas around the house for the other 2}. *If you like this arrangement I would then take the suggestion one step further and recommend painting them -- 2 similar colors for the back, 1 contrast color for the front. The mirrors are such a heavy look along with the couches, you have alot of straight lines everywhere. If you replaced those mirrors with 3 circle mirrors hung up on the wall above the sofa with a simple sofa table behind I think you would find a whole new look for less than $100..
    Next, I would pull the sofa up from the mirrors, give about another foot or so back behind the sofa and the mirrors -- just enough room for some dancin'! :), this should also help to make the room more cozy.
    Take the chevron rug and angle it out from the couches -- this will make the area less matchy-matchy and more interesting. The pillows need to be in the outside corner of the couches, and you have just too many of those little neck size ones -- I would wittle those down to 2 max.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Did you happen to check and see if hardwood is maybe under that carpet ??
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Concrete slab:-(
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Your wall color did not jump out at me, which, in my mind, says it must work since it does not slap you across the face. It works with the couch and the curtains. We just looked at phancynancy's all white room and this has SOME of the same aspects with the same colors going together. We are going to embrace the carpet right now as there is NO CHOICE, so getting it pulled in with some accents will do that. Let the walls continue to....just be there.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I feel like the mirrors would lose part of their look if they were hung.......I rather liked them propped. I understand the dancing and would most likely join right in, and since they are HEAVY, do you think they are safe???
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Moved mirrors, omitted vase and middle pillows
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    AND you added that throw! Now we are talking! Did you look at this pic???? Very nice!!!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    GREAT suggestion with the mirrors to overlap this way and they fit behind the couch better now, too.
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I guess I need to go shopping for maroon / gray pillows :-)
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    You could paint your walls a darker color so the carpeting isn't the only color in the r https://www.houzz.com/photos/18th-contemporary-bedroom-san-francisco-phvw-vp~44812 My son's room had rust colored shag in it and we ended up with black wallpaper with constellations on it. It turned out great. So I would recommend putting a darker color on the wall and the gray color of your rug would look nice behind the mirrors.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Take the throw along when you go, as there are soooooo many maroons that will confuse you once you leave your home. I soooo hope you post once you shop and get home. Pillows are fun to shop for and do not need to cost a fortune. Remember, we are embracing this color and truly, gray and cream and maroon DO work as a trio. Thanks for being sooo open to trying new things and sharing it with us.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    I much prefer the mirrors one next to the other - it's more gallery style. As for the rug......I think you should choose one that actually has some maroon so the carpet isn't as overwhelming. Any rug with a light colour (like the one you have) will enhance the maroon. You seem to have a contemporary style so I thought this rug would tie in with your design. Also, I like the chevron but I suggest replacing the curtains with a chevron pattern instead. The light sheers also contrast too much with the carpet bringing attention to it. A heavier pattern will distract from the carpet.
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Concrete slab ! Perfect --- remove the old carpet - then clean the concrete floor and acid stain it , then polish it. You could also seal it after staining . Much better than the carpet and it's current and will look great and easier to look after than hardwood . Search on Houzz or Google for stained concrete floors and see for yourself how beautiful it can be. I have done it myself -it's not that hard . You can make the floors look like a rich leather with the darker stains .
  • bccs
    10 years ago
    I like the overlapping of the mirrors. They make a statement now. My only simple suggestion would be to add a new lamp with color on the table so that corner is more interesting. And yes pillows to add color also. Love the rug on top of the carpet. You are doing a good job to sort of making that carpet disappear.
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Lefty is spot on here ... concrete floors can be beautiful!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Dar Eckert posted the gray I would suggest. I don't dislike the maroon carpet as much as I do the chevron area rug, a pattern which is starting to grow old very quickly. How about this lamp to bring the maroon to eye level, and this chaise to bring a beautiful swath of it to mid range? Would make better suggestions if we could see the other two walls (or non-walls, as the case may be.)
    Uttermost Scapoli Maroon Table Lamp - 27492 · More Info

Patterson Maroon Chenille Chaise · More Info
  • bccs
    10 years ago
    Love this lamp. I could see this type of lamp in that corner.
  • PRO
    Color Zen
    10 years ago
    I would switch the rug to something monochromatic, white or a natural woven. Then add a few maroon pop pillows to couch. Something about the chevron (which I normally love :) against the carpet is throwing me off. Good luck!
  • geibe5
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thinking about purchasing the hand woven silken ivory shag rug 7' square. Would that pull the room together better? Still in search for maroon pillow too