Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeannie_nguyen

IdeaChat Video - Clutter - 10.10.13

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
Can you make a beautiful masterpiece from the clutter in your home?

Watch today's IdeaChat video and share your thoughts! Do you have clutter in your home as decor, or is that idea totally out of the question? Share your photos and experiences with "decorative clutter!"

Wonder Walls · More Info

Comments (23)

• Claudia Amestegui
    10 years ago
    It's just too much visual stimulation...I do however, like the colorfulness.
  • Claudia Amestegui
    10 years ago
    By the way, too much clutter is a Feng Shui "no-no"
  • Gavin Kennedy
    10 years ago
    The rug on the stool is very distracting. Looks cluttered underneath the desk, too.
  • PRO
    The Colors of Life
    10 years ago
    A bit much for the eye... its perfect now... but what about when you get working and things get out of place? I would suggest running IKEA track on the ceiling and adding their flat panel slide drapes in front of all of this-- leaving the seating area open ...a simple clean flat panel or pattern that can slide, shift and open as is needed -- so you can highlight any area you like on a given day or just hide it all away.
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the idea behind, but I think if it's controlled and not overly "cluttered," if that makes sense, then I think it could work. I actually like all the examples I posted in the video. :)
  • nancybrandon
    10 years ago
    Clutter is clutter, no matter how neatly organized. I see too much fragmented color, texture, and size/shape. Too busy. No place for the eye to rest. However, if I were a crafter, this might look great.
  • princesslotta
    10 years ago
    I love it! I fancy a space where I can see everything I have, the colours pop and there's deliciousness everywhere my eyes land.
  • almostjane
    10 years ago
    Eye of the Beholder. Whether it's clutter or not depends on the people who'll be living with it. In general, NO in rooms where the objective is calm, low-stress, low-stimulation. MAYBE in rooms where alertness and creativity might be enhanced such as kitchen or office-sewing-crafting rooms. Personally, I love my things but do not necessarily want to look at it all the time. There's something very satisfying about placing a stack of freshly-folded clean towels on that linen closet shelf... and closing the door.
  • patsycrayton
    10 years ago
    Looks like the work room of a quilter or sewer that's very organized. It is helpful to see all the items you might want or need. Could put a drape in front if you don't want others to see but I like seeing all the colors!
  • sacher
    10 years ago
    I am downsizing to a condo and am making the master bedroom into a multi-puropse room. It runs the length of the condo and it is off by itself. I bought a lock for the door and plan to use it when friends(?) come to see me. I can't think of many people who will be allowed to see that room or real me. My creative life and office will be in there and if it gets too many projects that call me to work on them - well, that is what I have that guest bedroom for - I can sleep there! Not every room has to be open for public view - they just need to make you smile!
  • almostjane
    10 years ago
    SACHER has a valid point. Where is it written that every room has to be a public room? I know for a fact that if I had a second bedroom in my apartment, that room would become a let's-toss-it-in-here-for-the-time-being room. Unless actually needed for a guest, the door would be closed, lest The Mess Be Seen... :>)
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Clutter and I cannot exist in the same household. One of us is going to lose.
  • sacher
    10 years ago
    I don't like clutter either - however, I do need to sew because I can't seem to find certain clothing that I like. And, I want the satisfaction that I made it myself and it still looks store bought. I will need to keep the sewing machine out and the project out so that I can finish it because it takes too much time always putting things away. I may have a screened off area - not sure.
  • carynwilcox
    10 years ago
    What personality! I'd love to meet the owner of this room.
  • Lee Swee Poh
    10 years ago
    To me it looks like a corner of a stationery store.
  • Stacey Hodgson
    10 years ago
    thought this was the before photo...
  • Diana Tofflemire
    10 years ago
    I'd hate to dust this room!
  • mikkibookmite
    10 years ago
    I don't see clutter in these pictures. I see beautiful collections and crafts.
  • beestill
    10 years ago
    Eeeeek! Like someone said above, I would love to meet the crafter, and see their finished product, but I work so hard at hiding my clutter so I can feel calm. Definitely not Feng Shui.
  • bubblyjock
    10 years ago
    Ikea's Expedit is amazing for turning a frightful clutter into what looks like well-organized storage!
    Nina van de Goor's Home · More Info
  • A M
    10 years ago
    I can see the appeal of this for some but it gives me a headache. Not having a place for my eyes to rest is painful. I do like how organized it appears to be but reorganizing to accommodate for a new box of buttons or whatever is in every nook would be frustrating to no end. I totally want to come over and dig though.
  • nasmijati
    10 years ago
    This looks like a Kindergarten room materials and supplies wall in a schoolroom. Usually there are more clear bins with labels, and often a fire-resistant fabric curtain running just underneath the countertop from side to side.