Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

How do you feel about fluorescent lights?

Emily H
10 years ago
I admit that I have a strong bias against flourescents, probably stemming from my experience with them years ago and much progress has been made since then. How do you feel about them and do you have any tips to share?

Share your experience! (Photos encouraged)

Black Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Comments (45)

• Mike
    10 years ago
    You can't position light where it is most needed with your set up. LED lamps in strategic positions help with tasks and give the room a 3D feel. In my kitchen and utility room, I have replaced seven 50W halogen lamps with seven LED lamps. 350W down to 35W, so power savings are possible.
    Emily H thanked Mike
  • Monica Duggan
    10 years ago
    Hey Emily, I would agree , the old fluorescent lights were awful, they flickered and can be slow to reach its full brilliance...and are still the same. With that said they give great light, prefect for a kitchen. The styles and technology has changed however. Some can do very cool, see images. If you want the technology right, you need to make sure that it's a high frequency fluorescent fitting. This means it will not flicker and will light to its full light from the start.
    Emily H thanked Monica Duggan
  • PRO
    Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
    10 years ago
    All fluorescent lights take time to warm up, some are just quicker than others. All operate on 60 cycle frequency which is what our electrical system is. The newer ones have electronic ballasts which reduce flicker and are more efficient. You must match tubes to the type of ballast. Flickering can also be caused by a bad ballast and/or tubes.

All lights (incandescent, fluorescent, mercury vapor, sodium, halogen, LED, etc) change the color of objects being illuminated by them as we see the object.

Fluorescent tubes come in many different color renderings. To achieve the correct color of items (as compared to sunlight) you should use tubes that have a color temperature of around 5300 degrees Kelvin. Sunlight, depending on latitude, cloud cover, and time of day is around this number. Most tubes of this temp are identified as full spectrum florescent (not daylight). The color temp is usually marked on the sleeve.
    Emily H thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I hate them, but do use them in the basement, garage and a few of the soft light variety scattered around the house in areas that don't affect me much. I try to do my share in saving energy, but I really can't stand them. I do turn off lights that aren't in use.
    Emily H thanked User
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Still expensive, I just changed fluorescent cornice lights with LED tubes...less flicker and "cleaner" light
    Emily H thanked dclostboy
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Does anyone get an “out of body” experience with fluorescent lights? I see colors distorted, hear a hum…feel a little stomach thing.
    Emily H thanked JudyG Designs
  • cabingirl13
    10 years ago
    Don't like them in my house at all- OK with them in the shop/garage.
    Emily H thanked cabingirl13
  • User
    10 years ago
    If I ever have to serve a meal in my dining room with fluorescent bulbs in my chandelier, well, I just don't know what I'll do!
    Emily H thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    As of January 1, 2014 40 through 60w incandescent bulbs are no longer manufactured in the US. Once the stock is gone, there gone, and they can no longer be sold.

100w were discontinued in 2012 and 75w in 2013.

If you like them you best stock up.
  • togetherbydesign
    10 years ago
    I und
  • togetherbydesign
    10 years ago
    I understand their use in a dark kitchen space.
    But today there are so many more options pleasing to the design eye as well as giving fantastic light. I think this space would look more high end if these lights had been can lights. Good choices made thought out the room....except for ceiling light appearance.
    As many have said they are great in a shop, basement or garage...just not in a fine room.
    Can you tell I am not a fan?!
    Emily H thanked togetherbydesign
  • User
    10 years ago
    Incandescents are still sold, they just need to be more energy efficient. So what you buy now instead of a 60 watt bulb is a 43 watt halogen incandescent. So that type of light is still available to people in the US.

Sure, you can stock up on the old incandescents...they are cheaper, but also less efficient.

I need to do more research because I need to select lighting soon!
    Emily H thanked User
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    jn3344, you are right, there are still incandescent bulbs on the market.

What has ended is the Thomas Edison type bulb. Halogen uses the same technology as good old Tom's except it is filled with halogen gas vs. a vacuum. The same halogen wattage as compared to Tom's bulb will be brighter and hotter and they are still made. There currently is a discussion going on about what effect halogen lights will have on your A/C bill, since they burn so hot. In some applications they can also be a fire hazard. Remember those stickers on the light fixture you buy that says not to use anything above a xx watt bulb? Those are mostly due to heat dissipation. Too much heat can ruin/melt, cheap sockets and fixtures. Halogen of that same wattage (not equivalent lumens) will definitely cause heat related problems, because of the increase in heat output. Compact florescents are just the inverse.

We as consumers have always related watts to light output. Light level is really measured in lumens. It is now even more important to learn to use lumens since there are so many new types of lighting on the market and the watt vs. lumens relationship now varies so much depending on type of lighting.

Good old Tom had a good run.
    Emily H thanked Al Fortunato Furnituremaker
  • PRO
    Closet Experts
    10 years ago
    Al Fortunato Cabinetmaker makes valid statements. Most who dislike fluorescents are not aware of quality offerings available.
    I tend to go more towards 3500 - 4000 degrees Kelvin as the whitest light. I find 5000 and up too blue.

Standards now include T5, an efficient and compact tube. The number after the T is the number of eighths of bulb diameter.

Fluorescents do have their place in the market. My opinion is they have shortcomings as hazardous material (mercury) and recyclability in 8' lengths
    Emily H thanked Closet Experts
  • m3459
    10 years ago
    Fluorescents in a kitchen will make me run screaming in the other direction. Bathrooms are even worse.
    Emily H thanked m3459
  • Monica Duggan
    10 years ago
    Isn't it so ironic that 'they' have taken the incandescent lamp out of production for the CFL energy efficiency lamp (which contains mercury, damage the environment!) When there is two lamps still working for over 90 years, one in Australia and the other in California, see link! Probably being slightly controversial here http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1243138/Still-glowing-strong-109-years-worlds-oldest-lightbulb.html
    Emily H thanked Monica Duggan
  • PRO
    Timeless Interiors
    10 years ago
    As a former lighting consultant...I absolutely hate fluorescent lighting inside a home...except for closets/garages. There are far better options out there, especially with LED that are 3-4 times more cost effective (in the long run) base on overall energy saving and lamp life. Fluorescents do nothing for ambiance...and can be very difficult to dim. Yes...there are good fluorescent fixtures out there that are VERY expensive. LED is the way of the future. There have actually been studies done on mood and productively for CFL vs. LED light sources, and it's no surprise LED won hands down. CFL has been know to cause people to have migraines, anxiety and other aliments and they can also trigger seizures in those prone to epileptic episodes. Overall, not the best choice for light. For commercial spaces, the best way to use fluorescent light if you have to is with indirect type fixtures. And as always..no matter what type of light source you choose...thoughtful placement of the fixtures is CRUTIAL! We are so quick to throw up a ton of overhead lighting, which is usually overkill ....with no regard to the actually thinking about the function of the space and the type of ambience you may want at different times of the day, or even the best placement for the overhead lighting. Fixtures are getting smaller and LED's more powerful, so there are so many other creative ways to light a space then throwing a bunch of recessed on the ceiling and calling it a day. I wish more people would adopt the theory of layering light as it truly gives a space more depth and functionality if done correctly.
    Emily H thanked Timeless Interiors
  • Emily H
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great information, everyone!
  • Lisa Williams
    10 years ago
    Fluorescent lights can give me a severe migraine. I am photo sensitive to the flickering. :(
  • lepstein
    10 years ago
    Me too.
  • Meet Me at the Wrecking Ball
    10 years ago
    Absolutely hate them--I have a boxed nightmare in the kitchen of my temporary rental house and it offends me every time I walk into the room. If it were mine . . . I'd tear it out and have a pro install strategically placed recessed cans on dimmers. Then I would make sure that every cabinet (well, you know, every cabinet over a counter or a work space--not one above a fridge, for example) had under-cabinet lighting installed. That's a nice looking kitchen in the picture--the scary, dreadful light kills it for me. Fortunately, I think it's a fairly simple fix and won't be cost prohibitive.
  • PRO
    Creative Lighting
    10 years ago
    I always suggest stopping by your local lighting showroom to talk to expert to discuss what you are trying to accomplish in your space and see each lighting source for yourself. All types of lighting have pros and cons and have a valid spot in the market...you just need to find what works best for YOU! There are a lot of options in fluorescent , LED and halogen and taking the time to have a converstion to see what exactly works for you and your space is wothwhile.
  • kitandkaboodle
    9 years ago
    I recently figured out high efficiency lighting is a seizure trigger for me. While I haven't had a seizure, I get very uncomfortable, feel pressure in my head and the pit of my stomach and feel like I'm getting carsick. I'm especially bothered by open, reflective light fixtures used in LEED buildings. If I walk away from the lighting and go to a window or walk outside I feel better immediately. I think the high efficiency lighting in reflective light fixtures probably magnifies the amount of flicker. Also, I'm uncomfortable around the harsh light and color distortion of light bulbs with higher kelvin ratings than those with lower kelvin ratings, so I wonder if this is a factor as well.
  • lepstein
    9 years ago
    Monica Duggan: I don't have lights that are 100 yrs old, but I do have one that has been burning continuously for 35 years. It is a light box connected into my doorbell. Afraid to check exactly what it is because then I might have to change it...Hate flourescents, for the same reason as kitandkaboodle (seizure danger) as well as colour temperature and mercury contamination. Halogen is too hot. LEDs seem the best answer. I am in an old house, though, and sometimes it is frustrating finding bulbs that suit the older fixtures.
  • jtarpo
    8 years ago

It is true that these multiple panel arrangements can be quite offensive in the kitchen, but the fact is you need a lot of light in there. The solution is to get a non-flickering fluorescents (T8 or T5) and a quality lens diffuser. I recently did a remodel for a customer using two different Fluorescent Gallery panel types, as shown in the image. The customer and I are both quite happy with the result. It produces ample light, yet doesn't make the kitchen an unpleasant place to be.

• Dorothy Pohorelow
    8 years ago

I know this is old but yes JudyG Designs many, many folks are affected by florescent lights. They are a well known seizure trigger. I HATE the new "no flicker" which will send me into a seizure faster then an older style with a bad ballast.

• kitandkaboodle
    8 years ago

A 'conversation' on the Electrical Engineer Stack Exchange helped me understand the technical reasons why lighting in LEED buildings is a seizure trigger for me. Here's the link: http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/59188/continuous-light-do-leds-flicker-like-fluorescent-lights?rq=1

• pdk920
    8 years ago

I know a number of people who get migraines or seizures from fluorescents. They are more than just unpleasant to many; they are dangerous.

Considering the widespread use of antique and vintage lighting fixtures, I'm hoping there will always be bulbs that give the appearance of old-fashioned incandescent bulbs, whatever they actually are.

• Moxiemom
    8 years ago
    Add me to the list of those prone to migraines from fluorescent lights. While I don't get a headache, I will experience tearing of my eye ( one sided) and a tickling sensation in my face. My neurologist has diagnosed the condition as a " cluster headache" even without the headache, which is a form of migraine. Makes shopping a pain in the butt.
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

Moxiemom, that is just what my daughter noticed even as a child. And not quite migraines, just things "looking different", and eventually queasiness and headaches. She has always hated shopping.

• kitandkaboodle
    8 years ago

I thought I was the only one who couldn't stand shopping anymore. I used to love it and now its one of the last things I ever want to do. It seems like most of the stores now have high efficiency lighting and I get so uncomfortable -- the top of my head heats up and I get queasy and if I stay long enough I start to feel spacey. As soon as I go back out in natural light I'm fine again. My neurologist told me to wear sunglasses, but it doesn't seem to help. On the bright side, I suppose I save a lot of money since shopping is no longer recreational for me.

• PRO
    Lisa Sandham Interior Design
    8 years ago

I dislike them for residential but still use them to some degree in commercial depending upon the budget. I love LEDs. I love downlights. I usually specify an incandescent housing with adaptable LED bulb. This is the most economical option and if anything should go wrong you don't have to replace the housing, as is the case with LED fixtures. An 8watt LED is roughly the equivalency of 50watts incandescent. Go for a warm light at least 2700 kelvins. The energy savings with LED is incredible and they have come a long way in terms of being able to dim them. Most will dim to 10% and shut off. LEDs are also cool unlike halogens which ran hot and had a tendency to explode. Life of the bulb was non-existent. Most fluorescent have also improved over the years. The old type bulbs would flicker which would cause headaches but the new T5 and T8 do not have this issue, or at least this is what is claimed. I find it is the style of ballast that causes issues. Selecting an indirect lighting fixture eliminates direct glare on any surface. I just completed a project on a large office space and insisted on indirect ballasts. When dealing with headaches in the workplace it is often the wrong type of fixture and amount of light that causes physical ailments. The bulbs should not be seen and should emit an indirect light on the ceiling above that will then wash down, avoiding direct glare from the bulb or for that matter even seeing the bulb. Most older buildings I have seen employees take out bulbs thinking there is too much light, but actually it is the ballast and the acrylic lens that is to blame.

• Moxiemom
    8 years ago
    Pdk and kit, wow, stores must have a different type of fluorescent than residential. We have them in our closets and no problem there. Ditto on the spacey feeling, too. And I always thought I was just nuts.
  • Moxiemom
    8 years ago
    Thank you , Lisa. I'm bookmarking your comment
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

It's definitely worse in the stores with the big exposed tubes, though most seem unpleasant. I don't know what the difference is but I'd like to see fluorescents phased out in favor of people-friendly, environmentally-friendly lighting. Probably LEDs are the future.

• kitandkaboodle
    8 years ago

LEDs are even worse for me than fluorescents; especially if they are in reflective fixtures. So for me, at least, I can handle fluorescents but LEDs cause symptoms almost immediately. So I can't agree that LEDs are people-friendly.

• pdk920
    8 years ago

Sorry to hear it; I haven't used them myself. I've heard they have practical advantages, but sounds like they have real problems too. Good to know.

• jessicawilliams82
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

USASkypanels fluorescent light diffusers are designed to reduce harsh glare emanating from
    sterile existing fluorescent lighting. Skypanels are light diffusers which
    help to soften the harshness of the florescent lighting. It is now widely used
    in homes, offices, and classrooms. You are able to choose from multiple different artworks or they also offer custom panels. USASkypanels

• PRO
    EmbodyArt by Colormaiden
    8 years ago

Like many here, fluorescent light makes me sick. It's physiological. It makes me very uncomfortable physically. They make me instantly tired and make me want to close my eyes so instead of being able to work in them in a kitchen or garage, for instance, I'd have to quickly leave the place like the women talking about shopping above. Trying my first high-quality LED task lamp and expected to love it but feeling unfortunately that the light it casts is a bit "fake" feeling. Nothing near as bad as fluorescent -- which nothing could convince me has any place anywhere -- it's hideous and non-human-friendly (realize not everyone is so sensitive to it but then you'll have to rule our certain visitors or guests) -- hoping that LEDs are not uniformly a no-go for me since so many good-looking lights are using them. Strange and interesting how different people are.

• HU-424077
    7 years ago

It looks like most people here have a really negative and harsh opinion of fluorescent lighting in home. I am from India, and I feel very differently about fluorescent lights. Back in India, fluorescent lights are the norm. Not only for offices and commercial areas, but for homes as well. We do not have light fixtures hanging down from the ceiling (which you call "chandeliers"). Instead, the entire house, including the bedrooms, bathrooms, living area, dining area, kitchen and hallways is lit with long fluorescent tubes which are generally mounted on the wall, or sometimes, the ceiling. Also, the fluorescent lights have a cool color temperature, around 5000K or so. Warm colors are pretty rare in houses.

Anyways, I seem to love white fluorescent tubelights. They make me feel very calm and relaxed, and are the least depressing. When I came to the United States, I found the incandescent lights to be very dull, depressing, and uncomfortable. 5000K CFLs seem to do some of the job, but I still miss the fluorescent tubes on walls.

I don't understand why Americans hate fluorescent lights so much, while I seem to like them. I guess it just has to do with upbringing. I grew up under 5000K fluorescent tubes, and somehow developed a liking for them. Now I don't feel comfortable without them around.

• jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    Put LEDs in the square and under the cabinets.
  • david_jorge_francisco
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Here in Portugal, fluorescente lights are very very comon in the kitchens. Like in India most of them don't have a warm color. Most people prefer a neutral flurescent light because is better to work and see in the kitchen. A incadescent light is more dull. Fluorescent lights are not harsh and some modern design fixtures don´t use any light diffuser and is ok for a kitchen. Its interesting to know that in India people prefer fluorescente lights like here. For exemple in france they dont use fluorescente light for kitchens like we use. But a fluorescente light gives a great light to work in a kitchen. Very functional. Sorry the english

• kitandkaboodle
    6 years ago

I just came across an interesting NIH article about the effects of blue light (high efficiency lighting) on humans that some of you may be interested in. Here's the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831986/

• Ednamaee
    5 years ago

I like the fluorescent lighting in my kitchen! I took 1970’s fluorescents out, raised the dropped ceiling and put canned recessed fixtures in a rental we remodeled...and really was unimpressed with the amount of light vs the original lights in my own kitchen. 7 fixtures, not a large kitchen. So I kept the fluorescents in my own remodel and had my husband make a new simpler (non-routered) frame and stained it to match my Shaker cabinets. Then we recessed the frame into the soffit box (becaused it is a dropped ceiling) and put in new diffusers. Used bright flourescent bulbs and I feel I have a bright, functional kitchen. I am on this thread because we are selling and I wanted to see if and why people hate fluorescent lights. I guess I would too if it gave me seizures. Maybe someone from India or Portugal will buy my house.