Software
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20489372

POLL: Upper kitchen cabinets or Upper windows?

11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago

Would you for-go upper kitchen cabinets to have upper windows instead? Or would you prefer to have kitchen cabinets on top and bottom? Or any other configurations? (photos encouraged)

windows
upper cabinets
other- tell us below!

Comments (27)

  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Depends on the kitchen. A wall of windows is nice, but isn't always practical or an option. I saw windows when they're an option!

  • 11 years ago

    I prefer windows, but it depends on the kitchen..if there is no much space, I like the 3rd option with the low windows


    User thanked printesa
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Doing upper cabinets allow you more space for storage. An alternative is to have some upper cabinets and a wall with windows. Another alternative is to have a wall full of cabinets and then a wall with windows to give you the best of both worlds. For more inspiration go to www.cabinetsanddesigns.net and look through our projects!

    Brookhaven Horizons Kitchen · More Info


    User thanked Cabinets & Designs
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    @annmarie2 Gorgeous kitchen! I love how you problem solved to get the best of both worlds!

  • 11 years ago
    When we remodeled our larger galley kitchen we added windows to one wall and used upper cabinets on only one side. The kitchen is north facing and the new windows have made it so bright.
    User thanked intown123
  • 11 years ago

    Even with a not so good view, I would prefer windows, natural light is such a good thing to bring into a home!

    User thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    i'd get rid of quite a bit of 'stuff' to have more window.

    User thanked Judy Mishkin
  • 11 years ago

    Rebecca Robeson of Robeson Design installed custom cabinets in FRONT of windows and the end effect was amazing. The cabinets had glass on the back...a very unique design. http://www.robesondesign.com/stylish-transitional-home-kitchen/

    User thanked defever
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    nnigrt & rachuba, couldn't agree more!

  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago

    defever, now THAT is a creative solution! I've never seen that before --looks awesome!

  • 11 years ago
    A mix. All. Of one or the other makes no sense.
    User thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    Windows, windows, windows!!! What a great way to open up the kitchen and add natural lighting and fresh air! I often find upper cabinets to be irritating and in the way.

    User thanked Opal Exteriors
  • 11 years ago

    I love the light windows provide, but not having a pantry, and no want to renovate to add a pantry means cabinets are necessary; so windows take a back seat to cabinets.


    User thanked Paul N
  • 11 years ago

    Windows is a must for me, I enjoy the open lighting. I will make what cabinets I have work for windows!

    User thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    YourCeiling, we couldn't agree more! I'd prefer to get rid of some kitchen gadgets (needing storage) to enjoy more window light. Keep in mind that's coming from someone who has a great value for large efficient windows AND is not a cook ;) Ha!

  • 11 years ago

    As I get older, I'm finding that stretching too far to get to the uppers and bending too much to get the lowers is becoming an increasingly annoying problem. How about someone figure out a way to have them in the middle so we short old folks can manage independently a little bit longer. I'm not exactly sure what that would look like or how it could be accomplished but I'm sure someone in the design world could figure it out!

    User thanked User
  • 11 years ago

    Good point, Whynot. I like windows, and cabinets, both.

    User thanked User
  • PRO
    11 years ago

    There really is no single answer that works for everyone. Kitchens are very individual and should be custom designed for the specific homeowner and their space. Storage and natural light are both important. We recently traveled to New Zealand and noticed that they use wall cabinets far less than we do, even on walls without windows. (see the photos) There is a trend to use drawer cabinets for more storage and less wall cabinets because most people want open concept kitchens, including windows. The important thing is to work with a professional kitchen designer to design a custom kitchen for your needs, space and the amount you want to invest in your kitchen. Enjoy!

    User thanked Kitchen Design Partners, Inc.
  • 11 years ago

    Aesthetically I like windows more than uppers. Hygienically I prefer my food and dishes off the floor even if it doesn't look as nice. To me, a kitchen of all lowers is like storing everything under the sink. With lowers I often end up on the floor digging out rarely used dishes and rewashing them. If you have pets, lowers are more vulnerable to their hair. If you live in the country or near water you are going to get occasional mice/spiders. Add to that the extra dust lowers collect vs uppers because...well dust settles.

    User thanked jonnie_bean
  • 10 years ago

    We went 'upperless'. We have windows on two walls anyway, The lowers are all drawers (33 in all!) except under the sinks. Tons of storage; a third of the drawers are still empty.

    User thanked mushcreek
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    @mushcreek looks so clean and open! Love it when you can design for beauty AND function.

  • 10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago

    Unless I lived in a house whose kitchen faces a mountain, beech, park, river etc... give me more upper cabinets for the storage. I mean really, who wants to stare at the neighbor's siding. One window, and patio doors are enough for me.

    User thanked monika2024
  • PRO
    10 years ago

    Great point, @monika2024

  • 9 years ago

    This is so beautiful! Do you happen to know what countertop is it? Marble, granite or quartz? thanks

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Claire Campoverde I don't, so sorry! It really is beautiful though.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    Windows, but that's only if:

    1. There's at least a decent view to look at

    2. You have sufficient storage space

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County