Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houzzerpolls

POLL: What makes you feel better?

Houzz Polls
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
When you're sick, what makes you feel better?

Vote for your sickness cure! Post a comment telling us about your favorite cold remedy, (feel free to share your photos too!) and you will automatically be entered into the drawing to win your very own pair of Houzz slippers!

Watch the video below to see what they look like! :)

*One entry per person, per drawing. Entries must be posted before 12:00am Pacific Time 12/22/13. One winner will be drawn at random

Want to see the full Ideabook? Check it out here! http://bit.ly/1bMh5nw

Comments (102)

• abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Being pampered and coddled makes me better in no time at all.....such a good feeling!
  • susannroberts
    10 years ago
    Fresh Salsa and chips, and water and sleep! I've cured so many cold viruses this way. The salsa has to be fresh like the one they serve here in Texas at Chuy's (Salsa Fresca recipe is on the web). All the ingredients work together to make your body an inhospitable hose for a virus. I eat nothing else but this for a whole day, sometimes a day and a half and I never get the secondary infection that sometimes comes along with a cold requiring antibiotics or a doctor visit!
  • lynie24
    10 years ago
    chicken noodle soup just the broth if your tummy is upset and ginger ale and rest of course
  • dogmom5
    10 years ago
    I stay in bed all day & sleep as much as possible. I have the TV on, drink liquids, stay under a warm quilt. By taking the time to recharge by doing nothing always works getting over a bad cold or flu quickly.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    sleep! lots of sleep.

if i catch that i'm getting sick before i get to the "must sleep or die" phase, i try and do something that will make me sweat, and that seems to help me either avoid it, or at least get over it faster.
  • autumnfawl2010
    10 years ago
    I rarely get sick, but when I do, staying in bed is ideal. However, my kitchen is my healing place, so I get up and cook something or do like I am now and just sit and look out my kitchen window. That really relaxes me and takes me to a good place. Best wishes to the winner. I will really enjoy those slippers! Happy Holidays to all!
  • tkyoung
    10 years ago
    Hot lemonade, honey and a shot of Southern Comfort. Cures any sore throat or chest congestion! When I was a kid, our dad made us gargle with this! He called it his "medicine" and it wasn't until we grew up, we realized that it had liquor in it!
  • Kim Westwood
    10 years ago
    If I am sick and feeling miserable I like to be left alone. I don't want any fussing around. If I don't really feel sleepy I like to watch a movie perhaps one of my favourite Johnny Depp ones, usually makes me feel better.
  • elleblue
    10 years ago
    Warm jammies and a cup of fresh squeezed lemon juice, a smidge of maple syrup, a pinch of cayenne pepper and boiled hot water! Takes care of everything.
  • gottalovelowes
    10 years ago
    Thai Coconut Chicken Soup! It has fresh ginger which is good for the tummy, lemon grass, mushrooms, chicken, cilantro, and Coconut Milk. It looks creamy but won't further congestion or mucus build-up. Can serve over a cup of rice. This soup is so amazing it even helps to lift away the blues. It is just a happy soup :)
  • narniamallorca
    10 years ago
    Get some walk is always a good idea specially with those views. Also I go for swimming.
  • januarisun
    10 years ago
    20,000 mg of Vit. C, usually stops a cold in its tracks. I can't recall the last time I had a cold.
  • PRO
    Homescapes
    10 years ago
    In case of cold and flu i usually take paracetamol and vitamin C. After taking good steam, i drink hot ginger tea and throughout the day take light but hot and fresh food. This is the best time to catch up with the movies and dramas that were long due to be seen:)
  • Laura
    10 years ago
    My Financé always knows how to make me feel better. Love an attention when I am sick is the best :-)
  • Yvonne Ross
    10 years ago
    Hot tea, fresh lemon juice, honey and a shot of your favorite liquor. the tea makes you sweat and reduce the fever, the honey is good for the sore throat, the lemon is good for the sinuses and the booze makes you sleesleep. repeat as needed
  • 1stacy
    10 years ago
    Love Relaxing by the fire in my fluffy pjs:)
  • Vicki Bauer
    10 years ago
    When I'm sick, especially with a cold or sinus headache or flu-like symptoms, my "go to" cure is a nice long shower as hot as I can stand it with lots of steam and deep breathing. It sure beats just curling up and wishing you were dead! The shower accomplishes so many beneficial things like washing any allergens out of your hair, off your body, and down the drain. It also provides the healing power of water ... water is the most natural way to relax and clear your head. The steam and deep breathing will loosen the mucus and add needed moisture to sinuses and the entire respiratory system. A good invigorating scrub down can wake up your circulation and loosen up your muscles. After drying off, get dressed but not in pajamas. Go outside if the sun is shining and enjoy some fresh air sun for a few minutes. Walk around your yard, check the mail, get the newspaper. Now you've treated yourself to the best cure I know.
  • User
    10 years ago
    If no mail, tie up the dog and chase the postman yourself. Invigorating.
  • sculptedzoo
    10 years ago
    My vote goes to all of the above. I want those slippers! :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Me, plus bed, plus my two wool army surplus blankets (voted by hubby as the best birth control ever invented but boy you can sweat and still be comfortable) plus my flannel granny nightgown plus my decongestant (prescription but it starts with a g and is dirt dirt cheap, a huge bottle is like $4 period) and depending on other symptoms other things to manage my comfort and sleep. Bake it out, sleep. You wake me up at your own peril. I get to take a shower until the 40 gallon hot water heater runs out if that's what makes me feel better, etc. Usually our sickroom (the master bedroom) has the tv and bathroom close by and not much farther to fridge, microwave, etc. And we have wifi so you can take your favorite amuse yourself toy with you. If the stomach is touchy and I've been beat with the painstick so bad that my hair and shadow hurt, I will make jello but drink it warm, not put it in the fridge to congeal. Else it's juice and maybe a sandwich or tomato basil soup (I love the progresso stuff) or my homemade version of quick chicken soup (takes the frozen egg noodles). Did I mention go to bed and stay there for a few days at least? And the insulated snaptop sitting there with water, drink water, float to bathroom, drink more... and praying I finish germfarming soon and get them to all pack up and LEAVE, the dude ranch is CLOSED. I am not too proud to buy Northern ultraplush and keep roller kleenix handy if the decongestant isn't stemming the tide. (usually that is the only thing I have to keep controlled else it falls and I get bronchitis).
  • PRO
    NATUR meubles & design
    10 years ago
    Definitely laying in the tub for a full hour, until the water cools and I get chills. Then grabbing a hot chocolate or herbal tea and slip into my bed ! Unfortunately, work can't stop so I just get de tissue and herbal tea while reviewing plans...
  • catblessing
    10 years ago
    Home brewed ginger tea: simmer pieces of ginger root with a stick of cinnamon for at least 15 minutes. Strain, squeeze in a tablespoon of lime juice, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper if congested, stir in local honey to taste. Beats any cold medicine!
  • Salad Shop
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    In all honesty, visiting the pages of Houzz is a lift I need to see in a new perspective, and get inspired..along with a bowl of Greek Avgolemeno Soup (lemon rice) from my late grandfathers recipe. I never met him, but he lives through the tradition we created and really does soothe one to feel better. Ah.....
  • PRO
    Toni Sabatino
    10 years ago
    Staying in bed with echinacea tea is my general MO when I feel sick. Rest is key!
  • Jean O
    10 years ago
    Staying in bed all day would definitely be my remedy of choice! Cuddled up in a nice soft warm blanket with a glass of juice or water and a box of tissue on my bedside!!
  • Todd Brown
    10 years ago
    Stay in bed all day
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Stay in bed all day for sure!!
  • Carol Bender
    10 years ago
    Chicken soup seems to help too
  • 3wizkids
    10 years ago
    ice cream
  • reba120
    10 years ago
    I vote for ice cream too!
  • Samantha E
    10 years ago
    When I'm sick, I like to be lazy :)
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    CONGRATULATIONS to @abbyjean for winning her very own pair of Houzz slippers! If you missed out on this one, you still have some time left to get your comments into our New Years poll!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/poll-diy-projects-for-the-new-year-dsvw-vd~775303
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    LOVE it! Thank you soooo much! I will smile smile smile when I put them on in the evening and sit down with my laptop to gab with you all!
  • Donna
    10 years ago
    Congrats Abbyjean..............enjoy !
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    The best site period!
  • S. Thomas Kutch
    10 years ago
    A 5th of Jack..........then I don't really give a crap how I feel.
  • PRO
    TMK Remodeling
    10 years ago
    Don't get sick in the first place
  • shastacat
    9 years ago
    I need a distraction from all the discomfort, and a little TLC from my family and excellent chicken soup do the trick
  • Catherine Hounslow
    8 years ago

When I was on chemo I found a nice cup of tea was perfect for me.

• Momof5x
    8 years ago

Hands up for a cup of tea !! it depends really, when I have nagging virus two things seems to make me feel better, having a nice shower and going out for fresh air-these do help a lot. If sick with a flu type bug etc. and I am in the midst of one, I like to take intervals of rest and move around if I can, and when I am out of it, forget it! The bed is where I will be while in my heart praying to feel better.

• CC Cwiklinski
    8 years ago

Once it is determined the extent of the problem (illness)... I take my doctor's advice.

• Elf Elf
    8 years ago

Looking out my window/sitting in my yard and only being surrounded by nature and flowers.

• V Avery
    8 years ago
    Denial, no time to be sick. An extra portion of veggies and fruits for vitamins. If I could, it would definitly be a day in bed.
  • dreamhomechicc
    8 years ago

Tea, soup, and sit-com dvds!

• kkaccordion
    8 years ago

Rest is great but with a hot toddie. "Whiskey when you're sick makes you well. Whiskey when you're well makes you sick!"

• User
    8 years ago

Click on it.

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Keep on keeping on! We're the type that act like we're not sick even when we are!

• webberp
    8 years ago

While staying in bed to recuperate I open the window a few inches regardless of the weather outside to breathe in some fresh air and of course drink plenty of fluids.

• Susan Reynolds
    7 years ago

Since so many mentioned a warm bath, I think I'll try it next time with the flu, 'cause my muscles always hurt. But my go-to, if I know I'm coming down with a cold, is zinc lozenges from the local healthfood store. Used to be that zinc was always added to echanicea, and I thought it was the echanicea that was helping, but that has since been debunked and I am seeing more reports that the zinc has an effect. The effect it has on me, every time, is to stop the sore throat, and reduce the symptoms, shortening the cold. But you have to rest! In a pinch I have used the Alkeseltzer Plus. If its a bad head cold, the tea and honey is good. My mom used to chew on fresh horseradish for sinus trouble. I am going to try the hydrogen peroxide next time! But hope there won't be a next time!

• Ben Hart
    7 years ago

Big nap, hot shower, fresh air, and a change of sheets. Then more napping.