Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harleygirl1514

I just bought my first house!

Heather
9 years ago
I just bought my first house a couple months ago, but it just looks so simple. I have enough money to do some renovations but I have no idea what to do or where to start. I want the outside if my house to look inviting and welcoming. I was thinking about repainting the outside, and maybe replacing the shutters, (but that depends on the color of the house, and tearing out those posts.

Comments (20)

• pasopal
    9 years ago
    I'm not a decorator and can't answer your question. I just wanted to tell you that I think your house is adorable! Congrats!
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    I agree with above, your house is so charming. Replacing the cement sidewalk with a stone one would add a lot of charm too.
  • PRO
    Eskandari Stone
    9 years ago
    i agree to your house is really charming and replacing the sidewalk with some stone would really add to it for variety and designs visit http://www.eskandaristone.com
    congrats
  • ash4444
    9 years ago
    Congratulations on ur new home... I know the feelin... I would suggest landscaping and may b work with the windows... Have fun with ur dream home project all the best
  • hatetoshop
    9 years ago
    Your home is adorable, and I agree with everyone -- start with landscaping. Trim hedge, new walk, and add some colour by painting your door and putting in a garden. Best of luck!
    Cozy Cottage · More Info

Private Residence in Savannah, GA · More Info
  • nmshea
    9 years ago
    I would keep the house color and shutters, too. Door could be painted a dark teal color. Use dark green plants, pink, deep pink and white flowers. I would redo sidewalk with a curve outward and plant within the curve.
  • donaflor
    9 years ago
    I throw in with everyone about your new home being really charming! I think it's a mistake to make big changes until you've lived there a while and get a feel for it.
    That said, I am a big fan of red front doors. They are supposedly good luck, but at the very least, they are cheerful looking. They seem to have fallen out of style - I don't see them in the magazines much. But that shouldn't necessarily guide you, IMHO.
    I agree that landscape adjustments will be a good idea. It's been my experience that before you start hacking away, get an idea of what you want the end result to look like. For me, this required hours of sifting through gardening magazines, websites and books, which was bliss. I had a huge file which, btw, I still have
    b/c I can't seem to stay in one place for very long.
    You are about to start an exciting journey -- best of luck!,
  • metaluna
    9 years ago
    You have a great house, Heather! Sketch a few pictures of what you have now with a pencil so you can erase and make some changes that way first. Take some pictures and use "Paint" on your computer to see changes better. My biggest advice is to not rush into anything because you might change your mind about your choices. I know that's very hard but you'll save time and money if you take things slowly.
  • flopsycat1
    9 years ago
    Hi, Heather! I agree, adorable house and your cat is cute too. Start small, paint the door and work on the plantings as suggested. The only thing I'll add, can you remove that little white pagoda thing? Is it a mailbox? It just doesn't seem to do much for the house. A simple wall mounted mailbox to the left of the front door would be my choice. Have fun with your great new home!
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Would maybe adding a few trees in the front yard give it a more charming appeal? I don't want to cover my the front of my home to where people can't see it. Any suggestions?
  • libradesigneye
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Maybe one flowering tree . . one shade tree . . depending on your zone . . maybe an alder or multi-trunk birch tree or liquid amber for the change of seasons for shade in the summer nearer the street and off to the left (do I see a brick tree well there? - plant it farther from the house than that I think) . . and the flowering tree could line up with the right side of the center of the house, so it arches over and shelters that window / frames your entry with its flowers eventually . . ask your local nurseryman . . you don't want huge trees, you want small trees. . . in fact, big shrubs are often pruned to be like small trees so a pruned tree form shrub might be the ticket for the flowering tree .. .20' is probably big enough at maturity for what you want and many shrubs will get there. . not a fan of crepe myrtle trees, but if you were in the jacaranda zone, that would be a tree worth having!
  • MarleneM
    9 years ago
    Agree with libra, always gives good advise. Heather, the colour of the house, it looks more grey to me on my screen. Is it grey or blue/green?
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 years ago
    The one thing I would do now would be to remove the hedge. Hedges speak of a more formal setting, and your cottage needs the cottage look.
    Grace Design Associates · More Info

Cottage Gardens · More Info
  • Heather
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Marlene, it's primarily gray with a slight green tint to it.
  • donaflor
    9 years ago
    Oh yes, one more thought-- before you do a single thing, take pictures. Take pictures after every change so you can have an evolving documentation of the changes you've made. It will be fun for you to go back and see how your house has "grown up" but it will also be helpful should you ever decide to sell it (I apologize for this blasphemy).
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 years ago
    I agree with donaflor's sage advice about living in a place for a while. You need to 'wear' it for a bit to see how it fits with your lifestyle. I wouldn't make a single change for at least two months. You will then see what works and what doesn't. But keep a notebook beside you about things you like and things you don't and things you really need to get or are missing. This will give you the most realistic plan of what to do... then start working on doing them but in a concerted and organized manner. Lovely cute home.
  • beachlily
    9 years ago
    This house is adorable !! Love the color...congratulations!

Sorry no advice to offer other than what all the other smart Houzzers had to say....enjoy!
  • Megan Watmore
    9 years ago
    I would just get rid of the hedges and put in a nice garden. And maybe change the walkway
  • bgfuqua
    9 years ago
    I agree with almost every thing said except red door. do not get rid of posts or shutters-they belong on that type house. get rid of hedge and mailbox. really nice house.
  • linjen
    9 years ago
    Great house. Great advice given. Paint the front door whatever your favorite color is....burnt orange, red, teal, etc. Place a bright pot of flowers to match on the porch. Lucky you.