Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroline_pettinger

Advice - wall of curtains on a ceiling mounted track

10 days ago

First time posting on Houzz! I would like to create a wall of floor to ceiling curtains, on a ceiling mounted track, similar to the image with the cream curtains. It would be amazing to hire a professional to do custom window treatments, but sadly it's not in the budget - so putting on my research hat and getting to work! I have gotten as far as I can on my own, but hoping for some advice from the Houzz community.

In my research it seems the Kirsch 94001 heavy duty ceiling track is the way to go. Attaching a floorplan of the room, as well as a photo. The total width of the wall as 183.5", & the height is 144". In my pricing inquiries so far, sourcing 1 continuous ceiling track that runs the length of the wall is cost prohibitive due to shipping constraints.

My questions include:

- If I were to split into 2 track sections as shown in blue on the floorplan, would there be a visual break there once the curtains are hanging? Or could it look continuous like in the photo?

- I researched that I need to get curtain pins to attach the curtain to the track. Any recommendations for pins to use, and advice for how to install those? Do I need to look for a specific type of header for the curtain, to accommodate the pin (other than just not grommet or rod pocket)?

- Advice for what to use as a device to open/close the curtains.....pulley or wand?

- Anything else I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (13)

• 10 days ago

You have a beautiful view.

Quick question why do you need the curtains/drapes hung from the ceiling? For a less expensive plan you could have a rod across the top of the windows mounted close to the ceiling providing you will the same effect.

How to hang drapes like a designer

Luigi Rosselli Architects - Balcony Over Bronte · More Info

Garrett Park · More Info

Amazon shows heavy duty drapery rods at $40 for 200 inches.

Caroline P thanked Boxerpal
  • 10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

I love the look of curtains hanging from the ceiling. They sell kits on Amazon where the tracks can be combined. I used them to hang shower curtains in my bathrooms. I used the hooks provided with in the kit. I will try to find a link for you.

https://a.co/d/c1QYMUf

Found it but it is currntly eunavailable. Maybe you can find it at a different store. I spent $56 for a 6 ft kit.

This is is how the two pieces are connected.

You cut each piece to the desired length using a small hand saw that is provided in the kit.

Caroline P thanked ilikefriday
  • PRO
    10 days ago

When you have a 30K (low end price) wish list that you are trying to DIY for $3000, you need to do a whole lot more research. Overlap and stackback and mounting techniques are key terms.

Caroline P thanked Zumi
  • 10 days ago

The curtains you show are ripplefold, which a specific type of track and header on the drapery which snaps onto the track. For your application I would probably do baton draw rather than traverse rod. I think you would have to stack the window to the left of the window and the door to the left of the door when you wanted them to open.

I plugged into the Shade Store a white linen unlined fabric, ceiling mounted, baton draw pair with a length of 108" (estimated) x 184" width, and I got a price of $3200, lined $3500.

So this is a pretty decent custom place with limited options in a plain white linen.

Their most expensive white linen lined fabric came in at $5100.

In my somewhat limited experience, even a higher end custom shop in my area would likely come in at less than 2x the Shade Store price, unless you were using expensive fabric when of course sky is the limit. I had a client who did three window walls of ripplefold drapes (although the length was more like 84" because there were soffits) and it was much less than $30K for all three rooms at a custom shop. It was his fabricator, other than specifying the fabric I was not much involved in the process, but I thought the outcome was good.

One thing that I would recommend is if you could get a wide width (120" fabric) which could be railroaded (run horizontally across) you could get a seamless installation rather than a number of seams like a typical 54" to 56" fabric.

Caroline P thanked palimpsest
  • PRO
    10 days ago

Waht you show are ripplefold drpaes they can be DIYed if you have some good basic sewing skills the materials you need to do them can be found on the net the rod also from the same source . Google ripplefold drapery parts. I see nothing in the space that says this is a good idea actually for those window and patio doors. IMO nothing to be gained by making this ceiling hung ripple fold but we have no context . You have afabulous view why drapes at all?

Caroline P thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • 10 days ago

Thanks so much for the feedback so far!! And for the compliments on the view!

Yes, I’m absolutely attempting to achieve a very expensive custom look, on a budget. Definitely a complex prospect, and those that do this professionally are worth every penny. Unfortunately, I don’t have the budget – but I do have the time and patience to research…..

Couple of clarifications for some of the responses.

- This room is a bedroom, so @palimpsest nailed it….don’t want to rise with the sun in the mornings.

- The home is quite minimal modern, so I love the wall of windows as an opportunity to both make a uninterrupted beautiful statement, AND help introduce some softness. If I can’t make it work taking the curtains up to the ceiling, given the 12’ ceiling height – then I like @Boxerpal suggestion, with the track a foot or so above the windows (thank you!). I like a track or traverse rod, as opposed to a traditional rod so I’m not tugging on the curtains, given the large area I’m trying to cover.

- @palimpsest our minds are in the same place in terms of where to stack the curtains when open! I missed this in my original post, apologies. There’s not a lot of wall available, so thinking to stack the stretch that covers the window to the left of the window, and then the stretch that covers the glass door to the left of the door. There is enough space in both of those areas to fit the stacked curtains. And thank you for the recommendation on the baton draw! Curious why you’d go that direction, rather than the pulley system?

- @Zumi got me researching overlap, which brings me back to my question about if I could butt 2 one way draw tracks right up next to each other, as indicated above and have it look seamless, or will it look visually broken up? Any expertise in the community on this one? If I DO go with 2 tracks butted up to each other, it looks like I would go with a “butt master” (oh dear….) for the leading edge, as opposed to overlap?

- I love the look of the ripple fold, especially since this is a modern home. Having said that, if it proves too complicated – I think the ripple fold aspect would be my first place for compromising the dream, before I get to compromising on the height.

• PRO
    10 days ago

The rod is the least of the issue.

To get the look when they are closed? You will need miles and miles of fabric.

The effect is only good when extremely well executed and plenty of fullness. I sewed for years. I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole and my workroom would charge me a bloody fortune. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Deservedly so. Fall in love with a different look.

• PRO
    10 days ago

You can order Ripplefold semicustom draperies from The Shade Store. Nate Berkus is pushing this style currently in ads.

https://www.theshadestore.com/drapery/custom-drapes/ripple-fold-drapery

• PRO
    10 days ago

Yes.........and with the op dimensions?

3905.00 /no lining and basic white ceiling mount track @ the shade store

I'd recommend you do no measure yourself. They have representatives to do in house

• 9 days ago

Are you going to sew and install the curtains yourself? If so, find a small window, order the ripplefold header tape, rod, and hangers, then pick a fabric and lining. A test curtain is a great learning experience. There are inexpensive lined rod pocket curtains you can sew into ripplefold header tapes. Ripplefold comes in several fullnesses.

If you want to block the sun effectively, consider starting with cellular blinds (inside mount) or roller blinds and then add the fashion fabric curtains. Blackout curtains (with blackout liner) would be incredibly heavy and they will show lots of light peeking across the top header.

• 9 days ago

I recommended baton draw in this case for budget and simplicity, and possibly easier access to the light switch, because you won't have a pulley attached to the floor or baseboard at that end of the drapes like you would with a traverse rod.

I do get a certain amount of light leakage at the top of my ceiling mounted ripplefold with black out lining, but that window is just an inch from the ceiling.

I get less on a window with blackout lining, and a tailored pleat where the header of the drapery almost touches the ceiling rather than being an inch down because of hanging below the track. A pleated drapery can hang in front of the track. A ripple fold has a header below the track.

I solved this issue in a room of wall to wall to ceiling glass by recessing a pocket into the ceiling so the track and top of the drapes are up in the joist space. (This can obviously only be done if the framing of the ceiling allows for it.)

• 9 days ago

I did this for my shower curtains. Obviously this is a much less full appearance and is more like a cubicle curtain, but the hooks are very free moving.

http://www.ceilingshowerrod.com/new/rods.php