Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_whiteley

Refinishing kitchen cabinets

10 years ago
Gonna be refinishing the cabinets and could use some guidance. Can I paint right over these or do the need to be sanded down? Any help on some colors would be helpful as well. The walls in the kitchen are a light brown color and as you can see the island is black and will probably be done also. Thanks! And btw the gold is going away as well! Lol

Thanks

Comments (94)

• 10 years ago
    I have just redone my kitchen (this is a slightly unfinished state). The back wall cabinets are painted over oak and the island is natural oak, unpainted. I've kept the colour simple it is Farrow and Ball: elephant's breath. Your granite is quite strong and to show it off you should have more subtle colour on your cabinets
  • 10 years ago
    do please google 'contrasting upper and lower cabinets' and based upon playaazul's idea, (coz your island looks beautiful but all black cabinetry would be toooo much) I would paint all base/lower cabinets the same as your island and lift the overhead cabinets with an old english white - of course, the tricky bit is your fridge surround, i.e. where to cut off the base or paint it all the antique white. it looks up to date and fab. good luck.
  • 10 years ago
    afterthought: I live in italy 6 months of the year and looking at remodeling here, many of the high end kitchens, bulthaup, poggenpohl, val cucina, have lower cabinets a different color to the overheads. with the upper cabinets usually being a much lighter color, in order to 'elevate' them. cheers.
  • 10 years ago
    I can't believe all the fantastic information that you all have given me. To recap I definitely plan to degloss the cabinets and clean before painting. I really like the idea of replacing the doors and just doing the other portion of the cabinets. I'm gonna digest all of this and get started soon. Thank you for all the advice and I'll definitely be posting my progress. Thanks again!
  • 10 years ago
    I really like the idea of splitting the colors between the top and bottom of re cabinets. I would assume my island would match the lower color. Would you do different shads of mocha possible or maybe mocha on the bottom and island and maybe white on the top?
  • 10 years ago
    You do not need to degloss or primer. I had professsional painters use sherwin williams primer and a white gloss paint that cleans well but doesnt look glossy. Trust me! You only need that primer first. We have two kids and two years later the cabinets look brand new. Save yourself some time and hire a professional. We live in NH and spent $1300 and had them use the sprayer. My old cabinets were dark, glossy, and dirty from 1980. Any other advice you get is old advice.
  • 10 years ago
    I think your island with the black cabinets under, looks great - you already have black stools and chairs to augment. Kitchens are busy looking anyway, so i would keep it simply black from waist down and ivory above. IMO, mocha would diminish the drama of your gorgeous granite and the chairs/ stools which blend so well to the island already; and hey, you save some work by leaving the island as is. what's the name of the granite?
  • 10 years ago
    Kathryn Peltier made a great point--see what the manufacturer recommends for prep for the specific paint product that you choose to use. I will say this--with high use items like cabinets-- especially items with a varnished finish--if you don't prep properly to make sure that the paint is going to adhere, you're going to have a disaster. Good luck! :)
  • 10 years ago
    Kathryn Peltier Design, I used paint that self levels, SW Pro Classic Semi Gloss. While I didn't see brush marks, I still saw the orange peel from the high density roller.
    A couple times while spraying outside, a fly landed on my door lol. I picked it off and messed up the paint. Funny thing was, that little mess up leveled itself out and was no longer visible, yet the roller marks never leveled out.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You would be safest to stain and not paint your oak cabinets. Oak has a very defined grain and is very prominent even when painted. If you like seeing the grain throught the paint then go for it but if you do not like that look then staining is the way to go. I believe the next and safest stains are the medium to dark tones. If you go too dark it will show every imperfection in the wood and dirt and grease and wear. I would pull out the darker color in your granite for the stain color for the perimeter cabinets and keep the black Island. I like to see the Island a different color to create more interest in the space and the black goes beautifully with your granite.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I would also add some crown molding to your wall cabinets, that is a very inexpensive way to create a more custom look.
  • 10 years ago
    Remember to post "after" pics! :)
  • 10 years ago
    fyi, you DO need de-glosser :) I had an old door from the cabinet that was destroyed which was why we had to replace the whole cabinet. Just to test out the paint color, I hand painted with primer and the top coat so I could move the door around the room to see how I liked it. It was obvious the paint didn't stick well and scratched pretty easy. All the doors that I de-glossed and lightly sanded, primed and painted with 3 top coats all came out really nice and so far still no scratches.
  • 10 years ago
    my 2nd house I ditched the old doors and sanded the face frames and bought side panels and stained and varnished them all myself. I had a much smaller kitchen then, maybe 14 to 16 doors. The kitchen I am in now has at least 22 and looking to add 2 more cabinets that would make it 24 doors.
  • 10 years ago
    oh, as far as the grain showing, as long as you sand, and paint at least 4 coats, one being the primer sanding lightly between all coats, and use good leveling paint, the oak grain goes away. I found using a paint sprayer helps more because the paint seems to go on thicker than it would hand painting, at least with the primer I noticed that dramatically.
  • 10 years ago
    I agree about adding crown moulding if it suits your overall style. When I had my kitchen and dining room repainted my contractor suggested crown moulding and charged me about $250.00 more - an amount I readily agreed to - and I'm so glad I did it! :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Right on, rabhimself. The largest problem I see in this kitchen is the door style. Regardless of what color paint you choose, your kitchen is going to look dated because of your current door style. You can purchase painted, Maple, flat-panel Shaker doors for about $50 per door online, plus matching end panels. If you order them to be full overlay, rather than the partial-overlay you currently have, the frames will be barely visible. I have done this for many clients with fantastic results.

If you choose to paint, california57's color, "Elephant's Breath", by Farrow and Ball, is a terrific suggestion for your kitchen. "Cornforth White" might also work well, as I think I see a hint of greyish blue in your granite. Both of these colors are gorgeous neutrals. If F&B is beyond your budget, I have terrific luck having their colors color-matched. You can order small pots of paint from F&B's website.

Finally, without a doubt, a sprayed finish is the best. While it's easy to send your doors out to be sprayed, spraying the boxes and frames presents a whole new challenge. This is why I suggest going with a replacement full-overlay door. You can then paint the frames using an "inferior" method and still get away with a professional look. Consider how much your time is worth very carefully!!
  • 10 years ago
    Stained my old oak hall bathroom cabinet with a mahogany stain over 7 years ago. The dark stain made the cabinets look a little more expensive. My house was built in 1987 and Merrillat cabinets were installed. I remodeled my kitchen at the time and installed Omega Cherry cabinets and overspent, so I didn't have the extra funds to change out the 66" base cabinet with a new top. I used the old kitchen cabinets in my garage and basement because they are better quality than the junk they make today for storage units. If you cabinets are in good shape and of good quality, why not stain a door before painting? You can always paint over the stain, but you may not be able to stain over the paint. I like the idea of adding crown molding and keeping your island as is.
  • 10 years ago
    Here's a phot of my cabinet - took the picture on my iPhone and it appears a little lighter than in person.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You can change the color of the cabinets to any color you want with translucent lacquer stain. I do it all the time, check out my profile and my website for pictures
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Here are a set of kitchen cabinets that I refinished without stripping
  • 10 years ago
    Well done! The cabinets look wonderful :)
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Jeff, you completely digressed from your plan to lighten it up lol but I think it looks great! That granite really sings :-)
  • 10 years ago
    I did but I really like the way it turned out.
  • 10 years ago
    I'm adding under cabinet led lighting soon as well.
  • 10 years ago
    Is that Java Mocha Gel Stain? I'm staining my kitchen that color right now. Your kitchen looks beautiful.
  • 10 years ago
    Please do let us in on the products and techniques you used. I'm really wanting to do mine now that I've seen yours! :)
  • 10 years ago
    Nice job, Jeff. Black is such a rich color in your room and a great one to play with now, too.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Isn't it amazing how the black cabinets make the black on the appliances just disappear?
  • 10 years ago
    The black does look really nice.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That granite is absolutely STUNNING!!!! I love it! but the cabinets are Poop... they are crying out for some off-white paint and maybe a carmel glaze. Please post pics of your final.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    It looks great. I am inspired to do mine. What process and product did you end up going with?
  • 10 years ago
    I have the exact same cabinet doors and had been contemplating painting them white. I was told the grain would show through so have been in limbo on what to do. I love how yours turned out, looks totally updated. I would do mine a dark color in a heartbeat but my kitchen is too dark as it is. Love your new look!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Wow! Very dramatic and masculine! I like it! Remember there are so man many wonderful solutions and this is definitely one of them! I like the drama of the cabinet color.
  • 10 years ago
    Wow! Looks fantastic! When you can, would you mind posting what products/process you used? You have plenty of opportunity to add color now in accessories. I'm not a fan of a bunch of stuff above cupboards, and I am not by any means implying that you need anything there, but you could put a nice colorful large plate, interesting piece of pottery...
    Add a colorful rug in front of the sink, love the stainless utensil holder, but that's another pop to add color. I think it all looks really nice. You did a great job!
  • 10 years ago
    I had a cabinet refinishing company come in and refinish the cabinets. It begins with light sanding on everything and then several coats of furniture grade laquer and then paint.
  • 10 years ago
    The finish is very smooth and furniture type quality. I went with a refinishing company after realizing how long it was going to take me it was well worth the money. I had all cabinets in my house done this way. Two bathrooms and the laundry room.
  • 10 years ago
    I'll get more details on the process and will report them if people are interested. Thanks so much for the support, I couldn't be happier with the way they turned out!
  • 10 years ago

Here is the process.
  • 10 years ago
  • 10 years ago
    I'm interested, Jeff! Thanks for sharing :)
  • 10 years ago
    Today I had Home Depot come out and give me a quote for refacing my kitchen cabinets. I was shocked when they quoted me over $26,000. They say I have 45 linear feet of cabinets (that's top and bottom cabinets). The quote includes hardware, molding and a cherry wood finish. I wouldn't be shocked if this was for new cabinets but this was for refacing. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area which might affect the cost.
  • 10 years ago
    Paint the cabinets white and add hardware to fit your style. It will look clean and new.
  • 9 years ago
    We sometimes opt for refinishing cabinets rather than replacing them (since we are home flippers). We use a lot of color options from Carolina Heartwood Cabinetry ( http://www.carolinaheartwoodcabinetry.com) They have so many custom color choices. The different and unique colors look great and help sell our homes faster! Just check out this photo below from one of our recent sales:
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    WoodWorks does Cabinet Color Changes!!! woodworksrefinish.com
  • PRO
    9 years ago

Professional refinishing , most cos

t effective and durable

• 9 years ago

depends if you already know what you are doing :) I refinished my kitchen cabinets at our previous house 1989 and they turned out really nice. I refinish furniture for a hobby. I also bought unfinished higher end Cherry

cabinets and stained and finished them myself :) I used General Finished Enduro Var. But, if you've never worked with any refinishing products before, doing your cabinets is not the first place to start to learn.

caroltog, that is an outrageous price for refacing. It's costing me less to buy all new Conestoga Wood cabinets from the Cabinet Joint or any business that sells Conestoga cabinets.

• 8 years ago

light sand with glass knobs just a satin watch your gloss,

• PRO
    8 years ago

Why is Houzz posting advice articles from over 2 years ago?? I'm sure the OP has already done this project.