Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
goatster

some people gotta vent folks

17 years ago

I have a friend who I have been giving eggs and veggies to. Farm fresh and organic. Do you all know what city folks pay for ORGANIC? I am giving it away for free after working my @#$ off and in this heat. I gave her some eggs for potato salad for Memorial Day. We came over and she said to me "I hate your eggs" I was floored. I asked why, but as soon as I did, it dawned on me. They are fresh and had to be hard to peel. Sure nuff that was her problem. She also complained one was so fragile it crushed in her hand. Can you BELIEVE that? Ungrateful as hell. She is the NON-farm type, lives in a subdivsion and is a "career" person, so I guess my dirty stay at home job farming is beneath her. I tell ya, I won't offer her another thing. Thanks for letting me vent, No I don't feel better yet.

Comments (25)

• 17 years ago

Wow, what a @%^$%

• 17 years ago

yup there are some people out there like that,
    I have some milk goats, and I would usually ask 4.00 / gallon of same day milk, here where I live, a gallon of milk from the store (cow's milk) is 3.50, and goats milk is 2.25 / quart! I figured this was covering my cost and I enjoyed the time out there, but people would go on about how expensive fresh milk is.
    I was blessed though there was one couple who really thought this was a great bargain, their girl is sickly and can only have goat milk, they started only buying from me, and said it tasted so much better than cow's milk.
    There are some people who have never had garden's or animals and don't realize how much work goes into it, I know I didn't until I experienced it.
    I grew up in the city and thought the only good egg was one from the store, and my inlaws had chickens to galore!
    I soon discovered the quality there is in home grown, and since have taken up with grown much of our own food including rabbits, goats, and ducks (for eggs and meat)
    Keep your chin up and keep up the gardening and egg collecting, she might just realize when she no longer has those farm fresh things how good they were.

• 17 years ago

Once you've been at it awhile it is just in one ear and out the other. You never even notice the price shoppers, tire kickers and ignorant. Trust me, farm types are no different. I breed purebred animals of high calibre and I kinda get a kick out of all the different remarks regarding my prices. I give my excess eggs away(for eating) and some wont take them because a roo is in the pens? or they are brown, or they are too small or??? Its all nothing to fret over!

• 17 years ago

We give away eggs, mostly to people at work. I let everyone try some then the ones who seem to appreciate the difference get a dozen every other week or so. Some people are cutting back on eggs for health reasons so just politely say no thanks.
    My husband gives them to co-workers who rave about the difference in taste--these are people into gourmet foods. We get "paid" in some realy nice bottles of wine.
    I think that eating good wholesome food and especially eating the food you grow and prepare has a kind of spiritual dimension--it's not about cost or appearance or convenience. We were created to be stewards of the earth--the "whole" in wholesome means something.
    Find some people who appreciate this and the hard work you do and give the extras to them. The people who don't get it won't get it, until they are ready.

• 17 years ago

I gave some beautiful blue eggs to a friend once, and the next time I saw her she said "oh, I threw those eggs away after a week, since I figured they weren't as fresh as the ones from the store". I don't think she believed me when I told her store-bought eggs are weeks if not months old, versus the days-old eggs I'd given her. Needless to say, no more eggs for her.

And then there are the people who think eggs are poisonous cholesterol-bombs. I brought a dozen blue eggs to my aunt in Washington. She's a gourmet cook who shops at farmer's markets, so I thought she'd appreciate them. She scrambled up one measly egg for me (which I didn't want, I'm overrun with eggs at home and eat them all the time) and then gave the remainder to her maid.

No more eggs for her, either.

• 17 years ago

Ok now I feel a little better. I didn't think I was alone in this. Geesh! I knew about the folks who wouldn't eat them due to the roo and or them being brown. I have those in my own family! But to be so ungrateful! Well one thing I know, I just won't offer again. If they want them they will have to ask. The husband and kids never seems to mind the fresh, free food.

• 17 years ago

Goatster, your friend sounds kinda rude, even if she had a concern about them not peeling well she could have phrased it very differently. We give away our organic eggs, I've had a few who weren't really impressed and others who haven't stopped thanking me, guess who continue to get free eggs?

Oh and fyi, organic eggs around here go for $4-5 per dozen.

Carol, I would be outraged if anyone threw my eggs out, I treat them like little jewels lol! what a waste, glad she's cut off from now on.

-Sheila

• 17 years ago

It hurts doesn't it when people are not appreciative of your generousity. My neighbors bring me 6 eggs every Sunday and I love them. Sometimes I bring flowers or plants to my MIL and she can barely muster a thanks under her breath. Some people just are not gracious!! Too bad, you get a lot more with honey than you do with vinegar.

• 17 years ago

Someone should tell this woman that you have to let ANY eggs age for a week in the fridge to make them easier to peel, farm-fresh OR store bought. Fresh eggs are hard to peel, period.

I give my excess eggs to the parents and teachers at my daughter's elementary school, and they are always very appreciative and leave me little 'thank you' notes. :) The last time I took eggs to my sister, she just looked at them like they were rat droppings and said, "Oh, I just bought eggs." Turns out she kept the store bought ones and tossed mine out!

No more eggs for her.

I KILLS me how people are just plain stupid about the superior taste and quality of farm eggs. I made a point to make the 'naturally lower in cholestorol-better taste-healthier since they are from free range hens-better color & shape' speech for the parents & teachers several times, to help educate them. :)

Velvet ~:>

• 17 years ago

I don't get people. They act like if they come from a "farm" they are "dangerous" or dirty or something. Have they no clue the eggs in the store are from factory farms where chickens are crammed in small spaces, crapping on each other, breathing in all kinds of bad air, and pumped with antibiotics to just keep them alive long enough to produce their quota of eggs? Not to mention the age of the eggs once they make it to the grocery? Ok remain calm......retract claws and fangs. GEESH. I am getting lathered again. But I still feel much better knowing I am not the only person out there that experienced it. But I agree with a few others, my "friend" could have said it in a much nicer way instead of "I HATE your eggs"

• 17 years ago

I don't peel mine for potato salad. just cut them in 1/2 and scoop out with a spoon. Only people that ask get eggs from me, my MIL Raves over them and so does my sister. My mother doesn't care, so rarely gets any. I Love how they make the potato or egg salad so yellow, I get a lot of questions about that.

• 17 years ago

for those who have trouble peeling hb eggs, try steaming them in stead of boiling.

• 17 years ago

i really made the change over from store bought to farm fresh when My hubby was doing some work at a chicken farm, the kind they are all crammed in togeter in to little bitty cages. I went there once to see him and the smell was SO TERRIBLE!!! I could not believe we were eating things that came from such a dirty place! Store bought eggs only come to my house when there are absolutely no available farm eggs either from my farm or from the health food store's farm area.

• 17 years ago

There is a (small) bag of asparagus sitting in the fridge at work. My boss complained how I never brought her asparagus anymore. So I took some in. It's been there for three weeks now. Do you think I should hand it to her when it's starting to run????

• 17 years ago

Did you give a gift, freely given with no strings attached? Or was it some kind of bribe, for which you expected payment in the form of gratitude and indebtedness?

I agree that many people do not appreciate what we produce. Don't hold their ignorance or bad manners against them, unless you have never been guilty of same. You, they and the relationship will be much better if you just let it be water under the bridge.

Just don't give them another opportunity. There is advice in the Bible about not casting your pearls before swine.

• 17 years ago

My mother had the same problem when she had too many duck eggs and guinea eggs. She volunteers at a clothes closet/food pantry, and would take in extra fresh produce and eggs to give to the food pantry. No one wanted her duck eggs because they had "dark orange" yolks, and were light blue and green. My mother didn't even try taking in the tiny brown bantam eggs. My parents have a large garden for just the two of them, so there is plenty of extra, even after my mother cans and freezes what she needs. The extra produce now goes to the church on Sunday morning. The bucket is left at the front door with a bunch of Walmart bags so the members of the small congregation can take what they want.

I generally get good responses from my coworkers when I bring in extra produce, and got great response when I took in extra tomato and pepper plants this spring. (I start them from seed) But we also have other people bringing in their extra produce, too. One guy brings in home-made banana bread once a month. I'll be getting some chickens this summer. We'll see if I get takers on the extra eggs.

• 17 years ago

I got the same response, when I tried to share my duck eggs, I have black cuyugas adn the eggs are black sometimes. They were all like" what's wrong with the eggs? are they bad? and you actually eat those??"
    Funny how people are.

• 17 years ago

Yup, same thing happened to me this past weekend. Neighbor wanted to know if she could buy some eggs from me instead of the grocery store. She picked up a dozen and asked if she needed to float them? I wanted to snatch them back - they were just laid that morning!

• 17 years ago

Feeling better and better! I had no idea there were so many who have experienced this kind of ignorance, but it feels good to know I am not alone. So far she hasn't asked for another egg and that is fine with me. I will feed them to my dogs or the chickens. They will not go to waste.

• 17 years ago

Hey, if it aint Lil Man's grandmother. tee hee. I thought those eggs were great. You need to watch who you keep as friends. I saw some ducks over at the market in Roanoke this AM. They had guinneas sp for $4 ea. Chicks. I didnt ask about the ducks cause I couldnt take em home

• 17 years ago

My neighbor used about a dozen of my cortunix quail eggs as a display on his table. He thought they looked like mault balls (candy). I didnt think it was funny when he told me. I guess he enjoyed them so I shouldn't complain....

• 17 years ago

If she only knew how rude she was...

Honestly, if it were me, I'd let her know that she hurt my feelings. It's the only way to feel better.

And FWIW, this has happened to me too.

Deb

• 17 years ago

How insulting. I know my animals are my pride and joy. Yup. And if it still bothers you thinking about it from time to time, just think about the fact that she is eating eggs full of all the fabulous "supplements" that they pump into those hens at the battery cage farms. Like little antibiotic bombs! At least we get the satisfaction that we are feeding our families the healthiest of foods. It's like survival of the fittest I guess, with the ignorant either being phazed out, or learning to get with it in the end.

• 17 years ago

I didn't know you used your goats for meat, Shellybabe? I thought they were your pets.

• 17 years ago

Finding this thread made my morning!

Kitty

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES