Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

the 'do I need a new mower' debate. Input needed

15 years ago

I have the Troybilt troycut 210. We bought it in 1997 and it has been a good mower. At the end of last season, one of the gears on the right front wheel started to lock up and made it impossible to mow. Bless my poor hubby, when it stopped working, he got nailed right in the jewels from the sudden stop. So now the debate is, is it worth it to take it in and get repaired or get a new one? I have no idea how long a mower is supposed to last. We have maintained it pretty well over the years, changing spark plugs, blade and oil every other year.

Now, if the suggestion is to get a new mower, I would love some input there too. We have inclines in the front yard and it's about the average size yard. We are on a tight budget, but at the same time, don't want to turn around and have to buy another one in a few years. I was looking at the lawnboy self propelled carb compliant. Would that be a decent pick? Any suggestions and input are welcome.

Thanks so much,

LBF

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

I would opt to fix it. It's probably the good quality Troy. I hope you change the oil more often than every other year.

• 15 years ago

My opinion is you will need to evaluate the entire mower.
    ---------------------------------------------------------

Examine the handlebars to see if they are starting to sag - the center pivot area is usually a weak area.

Look over the control cables to see if they are in good condition and operate smoothly.

Check the rear wheels to see if they are starting to spread apart.

Look over the deck for signs of rust.

Most of the current engines will need carburetor work or new fuel lines after 10 years of service. Cooling fins will need to be cleaned. Usually the basic engine will last many more years.

Front wheel drive has failed. Is this simply a stripped wheel or is the gear box bad?

---------------------------------------------------------
    After evaluating, consider the cost of all repairs. Are you capable of performing the repairs, or does the mower need to go to a shop. I use the 50% rule. If the repair cost exceeds $100.00 to repair a $200.00 mower, it is probably time to buy another mower.

=========================================================

Concerning a new mower: The Troybilt name was purchased about 10 - 12 years ago by MTD. MTD supplied a lot of department store mowers. The lawnboys are generally a higher quality mower. From the website, I liked the aluminum deck models the best. Front wheel drive mowers do not have the strong traction of rear wheel drive models. All the engine brands have been ok. The Briggs "ready start" is much easier to start than the regular briggs with the primer. The Honda starts easyily. The Tecumseh brand is no longer in business - no one is sure if another company will resume production or support spare parts. The aftermarket guys will maintain the most common part - like air filters.

• 15 years ago

I would say it has had a long life and is now ready for the junk heap. If you have a lot of inclines I would recommend a rear wheel drive mower, it will do much better, especially if you plan to bag. The Lawn Boy/Toro mowers at the big box stores should be fine for your use and budget. If you want to spend a little more money your husband (or you) will love the Personal Pace on the Toro mowers.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for such great input. cables are overall good, but sagging a bit more. rear wheels are starting to spread a little. No obvious signs of rust but lots of hard to remove gunk built up by oil and at the base of the engine. I have no idea if the wheel is stripped or the gear box is bad. What would I be looking for? ( even if I am leaning towards replacing, this has my curiosity) The wheel will not move at all.
    While I can perform the basic maintenance, anything beyond that goes to a shop and I am guessing given your input larry, that I should be considering a new mower. I will give the repair shop another call and see what they say as well. See larry you clued me in to the reasons a wheel can stop working. I knew gears were involved, but did not realize that it could be stripped as well. As you can tell, I am very limited on mechanical knowledge.
    I would love to have a honda mower, but those are out of our price range. Thanks again so much for input!!

• 15 years ago

Well, you don't really need a new lawn mower if it otherwise runs fine and meets your needs. If the part is available, the cost of repair should be a lot less than buying a new machine.

• 15 years ago

Decided to take it into my local repair guys to take a look at and they will give it the once over to let me know if it's worth repairing or not. Then I will go from there. Thanks again guys for the input.

• 15 years ago

I'm guessing it has nylon gear teeth on the drive wheels which have finally worn down to the point that a low tooth jammed the spur gear. I would take that wheel off to see what's going on. Fixing only the immediate problem, you will probably spend over $100 at the shop, assumimg replacement drive wheels are even available. It probably has worn tires anyway, and you have to replace the wheel. I like a new mower a lot better than spending that kind of money. If you get a new one, do get rear-wheel drive. The Lawn-Boy and Toro mowers at Home Depot/Lowes are all good machines.

• 15 years ago

The Tecumseh brand is no longer in business - Quote by Larry

What do you mean? Engines and parts are no longer made by Tecumseh? When did this happen?

• 15 years ago

They sold the engine business to Certified Parts Corporation in Feb. of this year. They sold the Peerless Transmission portion to Husqvarna.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tecumseh Info

• 15 years ago

Well, the verdict is in. The Troybilt 210 has officially been sent to a farm where it can ride and play with the other lawnmowers that have lived beyond their years. The parts alone were going to be at least $150, so off I go to buy a new one. Thanks for the insight and input.