Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyersk76

Best bang for buck pushmower w/bagger,mulcher...

15 years ago

The only one I can come up with is the Troy Bilt TB542.

http://products.howstuffworks.com/troy-bilt-tb542-gasoline-powered-push-mower-review.htm/

Only issue, although maybe not a big one, is that it is only a single speed mower, not variable. Is this usually a nice mod to have? Or will this mower run perfect without this addition even with heavy thick grass? This mower is going at $239.

I'd rather stick with the Honda engines and stay away from the MTD, Craftsman's, Weedeater's, Briggs, etc. Am I on the best path.

THnaks!

Comments (8)

• 15 years ago

I am working on this same model.

To clarify, the mower deck is made by MTD. The engine is the Honda GC160 with the auto choke system.

The following is my opinion:
    I thought the mower was ok for a light weight mower. $239 seems a little high when compaired with similar mowers in Walmart (I have not looked this year).

The engine started easily and ran smooth. I noticed problems with the auto choke system sticking during the mid point in it's cycle. The method of mounting the top cover with fuel tank is very simple - easier than engines produced by other manufacturers. The method of mounting the carburetor is more complex than the method used by Briggs and Tecumseh. The engine seemed to have fewer areas of oil seepage than the other manufacturers, but the Governor shaft seems to seep quite a bit. The cooling fins are less likely to collect grass/debris than the Briggs Quantum.

The Honda GC is an easier engine to start than the primer Briggs Quantum and the primer Tecumseh.

The ready start Briggs quantum is a more consistant starter than the auto choke honda.

The ready start Briggs quantum and the manual choke Honda are very similar and very good in their starting qualities.

• 15 years ago

IMHO go with Toro Commercial product if you want longevity. They are not cheap but they do take a likin' and keep on tickin'.

Here is a link that might be useful: Toro Commercial

• 15 years ago

Not having a seperate "throttle" is no big deal at all. The mower engine speed is ultimately controlled by a governor, so a seperate "throttle" just allows you to adjust downward from max governed engine speed. The governor handles the actual throttle and adjusts automatically for engine load as it trys to maintain a constant engine speed weather you are crossing the driveway or hitting a tall patch of grass.

I wouldn't shy away from a Briggs engine in that price range. As a matter of, well , my opinion, I'd drop down a notch in that lineup to the Troy-bilt with smaller back wheels and the Briggs engine or spring a notch up for the self propel with the Briggs. Either the Honda or the Briggs with proper care will outlive the rest of the mower.

Keep oil in it, change the filter, oil & plug each season, sharpen the blade once in a while, add Stabil or Seafoam to the gas as soon as you bring some home, don't leave the mower out in the rain. The machine will probably last until you get sick of it.

• 15 years ago

Thanks all!
    Went ahead and got the Troy Bilt. This thing is perfect for us. The mulcher is amazing. Power is great. We had alot of weeds and it seemed it took a couple of passes at times. Maybe that's normal for weeds, unless I need to sharpen the blade, which I find to be unecessary when new. One downside, the bagger....I was thinking all baggers nowadays had a zipper so the clippings come out easy. You practically need to dig in with your hand while holding the 30lb filled bag in the air. Makes it kinda difficult for the wife:)
    Thanks again for the responses.

• 15 years ago

You wanted an inexpensive new mower, and you got one. If you expect premium features, you pay premium money. Is it a front wheel drive? If so, you just bought another headache.

• 15 years ago

Nothing really "mulches" weeds very well, too much moisture in them. If the mower chews them up to fine they turn into green goo, if it doesn't you have chunks of weeds everywhere. As far as the bagger goes, try to not fill it all the way so it doesn't pack solid. Glad you are happy with your purchase.

• 15 years ago

"Is it a front wheel drive? If so, you just bought another headache."

I have had a craftsman front wheel drive for 16 years and had to replace the plastic gears only twice. I love the way I can lift the front wheels and turn the mower. Please explain your statment as I am looking at the Toro High Wheel Mower with 22 In. deck, 6.5 TP and Variable Speed Front Wheel Drive,Model 20087

Thanks

• 15 years ago

The last post says it all for me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Found the answer-

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions