name that basal rosette

14 years ago

trying to id some local flora and fauna

http://basalrosette.wordpress.com/

Comments (9)

• 14 years ago

2 and 3 look like Barbarea vulgaris
    6 is Japanese knotweed
    7 is Pachysandra procumbens, Allegheny spurge.
    8 is Oenothera biennis, evening primrose
    9 is Rudbeckia laciniata
    10 is Hydrangea paniculata

Hope that helps.

• 14 years ago

9. Looks like a Viburnum rather than Hydrangea paniculata. I don't know the species you'd find in your area but V plicatum is similar.

1. Looks like a Rubus, raspberry
    4. Looks like a Veratrum, false helleborine, but again I am not familiar with species you might have in your area

• 14 years ago

#7. Looks more like Pachysandra terminalis, Japanese pachysandra.

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese pachysandra

• 14 years ago

To go along with what flora_uk suggested, #4 is likely Veratrum viride. Also agree with Japanese pachysandra since the leaves are smooth and somewhat shiny.

I am wondering if these images are being changed around a bit, as currently #9 looks like virginia waterleaf!

The Viburnum (which is #10 now?) looks like hobblebush, or Viburnum alnifolium. Those aren't male and female flowers, rather they are perfect flowers in the middle and sterile ones around the edge.

• 14 years ago

The pictures look the same as yesterday, I just didn't do a very good job of identifying them. Sorry.

• 14 years ago

1 Rubus. Some kind of Blackberry/Rasberry/Dewberry
    2 and 3 Something in the Mustard family - the common one this time of year is Barbarea vulgaris, Wintercress. Could easily be that.
    4 Veratrum viride, False Hellebore
    5 Another mustard. Could be the same as the others. Need more details to ID them.
    6 Japanese Knotweed. Run!
    7 Pachysandra. A commonly planted groundcover.
    8 Evening Primrose, probably a weed. Oenothera sp
    9 Not sure of that one. Some kind of Buttercup, maybe. Ranunculus sp.
    10 A Viburnum. Linden Viburnum, maybe? Or Doublefile? Not that many have the big and little flowers together.

• 14 years ago

Jeanne, we don't always name them all right. Can just get confusing sometimes with so many pictures.

• 14 years ago

thanks guys. super helpful! As far as number 1, wouldn't a berry plant -- raspberry, blackberry, dewberry have three leaves instead of five?

• 14 years ago

They can have five.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rubus