Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skizot_gw

For Those Using Urea 46-0-0

15 years ago

1. What spreader are you using?

2. What spreader setting are you using?

3. How much product are you applying for your Fall app(s)?

This is some heavy stuff, and I don't want to apply too much (or too little). It's also heavy enough that I don't want to do the usual broadcast spreader calibration test either. So, I'm just looking for what spreaders and what settings others are using, as I can use cross-reference charts online to determine a setting for my Scotts Deluxe EdgeGuard spreader.

On a similar note, is Urea 46-0-0 safe for use on TTTF grass that is only 10 weeks old? The majority of my yard is about 14 months old, but I overseeded on August 30th.

Comments (13)

• 15 years ago

You are wise to be careful.

I use a pound to a pound and quarter of nitrogen to the thousand sq feet.

I figure out how much I need, weigh it out, and then apply the product that has been weighed out and separated in that fashion in several passes until its gone to make sure I don't over apply.

Of course, 10 pounds of 46% nitrogen product nets 4.6 pounds of nitrogen, etc.

• 15 years ago

When spreading urea, I dilute it by blending the amount of urea to be applied with something less potent such as soy meal, Milorganite, or cracked corn.

• 15 years ago

Lesco 50# broadcast (homeowner version of the 85# commercial model)
    Started at 11 and bumped it up to 14. I scorched a few areas on my overlaps getting used to the new spreader and higher than expected temperatures the week after spreading. I'll stick to about 12 on the next go 'round.

50 pound bag over 19k sq ft. About 1.2 pounds N per 1000.

IMHO, the problem with urea is not the nitrogen, but the fact it is all quick release. A pound of nitrogen is a pound of nitrogen, but it is how it is released to the plant that matters. For new grass, I'd recommend half or quarter doses with a couple weeks in between. I should have followed my own advice.

• 15 years ago

The only time I would recommend it, for just the reasons noted by soccerdad is for quick release after the first hard freeze shuts down shoot growth. See articles on the benefits of quick release nitrogen as last fall feeding.

Otherwise, I use organic meals and for those who prefer chemical fertilizers, slow release products are better for all other standard applications.

• 15 years ago

I have the stainless Lesco spreader and WELL worth the $350.

I agree with RC here. Then again the late fall app is not needed with proper lawn care via that year. But the late fall app is a nice upsell for some folks.

• 15 years ago

The late fall application may not be needed, but just about all the northern area universities recommend it for cool season lawns. I don't think that qualifies as "maybe". And to compare chelated iron to late fall N is not even close to being comparable.

• 15 years ago

Has anyone tried 39-0-0 (Lesco slow release) to do a comparison against 46-0-0?

• 15 years ago

I disagree here eric---Why you ask, simple business and what works. Slow release has there place.

Yes there is a reason why they make slow reason and normal. Then again, urea is priced too high to make it worth it (right now). But it is a nice upsell for business profits!

• 15 years ago

I can get ammonia sulfate cheaper, which also provides the kind of quick release nitrogen the university studies suggest, but prefer to go with urea in limited amounts to try to be a little more friendly to soil organisms. Probably little to no difference in the organic sense, but, I can always hope. ;)

But, again, the point isn't nitrogen, its quick release nitrogen after the top growth has stopped. And, for Lou, it is for cool season grasses as it relates to the value for an end of season application.

• 15 years ago

A big problem with Ammonia and Urea is many over apply before a rain storm and large ammounts is runoff...Not the best for envro here.

Urea was over $700 a ton a few months ago. Way overpriced.

I also talk to many other landscaping people in the field up here daily in Ct and Ma and we are done after this week on late season apps. Most did not use Urea for the reason above.

• 15 years ago

Thanks for your responses, guys!

• 15 years ago

When applied properly, straight urea is wayyyyyy cheaper than slow release forms. Compare the cost per 1,000sqft for a 24-5-11 compared to a 46-0-0 or 21-0-0. At a pound of N per 1,000sqft, the urea and amm sulfate will be under $2, whereas the 24-5-11 will be over $2. Slow release is not needed for your November winterizer app because you want the full pound of Nitrogen to get down to the roots and you don't have to worry about that growth surge like you do in the spring and summer. 2 lbs of 46-0-0 per 1,000 sqft is right down the middle. Some put down 3 lbs. The point of the november app is that root growth continues into December and studies have shown that it greens up in the spring quickly without the excessive shoot growth that you would see from an early nitrogen application in the spring. No need to use the 39-0-0 100% PPSCU for the fall unless you want most of it to sit on top of the turf until the Spring.

• 15 years ago

Define cheaper? Urea was very high here and slow release ferts here cheaper. In fact, urea was a joke in Sept. Retail is over $35 a bag when wholesale is 1/2 that. Keep in mind, businesses buy in the front end and hence you opay upfront. So todays prices are not what they buy it for. At times it goes back and fourth.

in liq form, urea is dirt cheap (but higher haz)and I never said app slow release in Nov. I would app in Oct since most, 95% of business in MA are done with apps for late fall. Late fall apps are okay and a nice up-sell for business. Is it needed, no. Slow release in end of Sept/oct and straight urea in mid oct or late; in MA.

But, funny we use 1lb per 1K sq/ft since over then is not needed nor per the label.