Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fishman35

Another zero turn question, but from owners of these products

14 years ago

I am definitely buying a ZT mower because I have an acre that takes almost 2 hours to mow and I need to save time. I have been researching them for about 6 months and am looking for real world advice from Toro, John Deere, Cub Cadet, Ariens, Swisher, or Troy Built zero turn owners. (I know some customer reviews are padded).

I do not buy a toothbrush without researching, and I have searched all forums, including this one. Not to sound like a jerk, but I am not interested in commercial grade mowers. I have looked at Hustler, Bad Boy, Skag, etc and they seem to all use the same engines, (Kohler, Kawasaki, and B&S). The only real difference that I see is stamped deck VS welded, and the transmissions on some of them. To me that does not justify $1000-3000 more. I also need 42-48" because of the surface I will be mowing.

I have an acre and just need a residential ZT mower. I have read all the reviews, but I want to hear from folks who have, or currently own the Toro Timmecutter Z series, John Deere EZTrack, Cub Cadet RTZ series, Troy Bilt, Swisher, or Ariens and use in real world situations, good and bad. I have test driven the Toro 42" with the Kawasaki engine and liked it. They had a John Deere, but the HD folks lost the key. I am wanting some real world advice and most all that I have seen on this site when I search is people pushing commercial mowers.

Thanks for any owner advice.

Comments (7)

• 14 years ago

All though Husquvarna is not one of your listed mowers, I have a input take it for what you will. I have had a husquvarna zero turn for 4 years now and could not be more pleased. I mow just a little over a acre and it cut my mowing time from 2 hours and 30 mins to just over 45 mins. This is one great machine. It is priced a little less than the rest and is worth more than you pay. So if you want a great machine for less money try looking at the Husky's.

• 14 years ago

My two cents. I sold my 1977 Grasshopper out front 52" ZTR in 2005. It ran fine, but I just wanted to get a later model. I then bought a 1996, same kind for $3k. I'm putting twenty hours on it per year with no problems. The out front mower deck is great for trimming under bushes. Take another look at the used commercial ZTRs in your area.

• 14 years ago

I got a cub ZTR 42" 17HP ELS briggs I mow about 1 1/3 ac. Had it about 5 years now got close to 200 hours on it. Still mows good! I think they come with a better engine on them now. Got mine for $1900 was a year end model retailed then for 2495.

Things I like: quick, goes up/down/sideways on hills real good. easy on gas, Only had one problem with it, had about 15 hours on it and it went dead, dealer come and got it, fixed it and have had no problems since.

Things I don't like about it: The ELS is hard staring after it sets a couple of days, I usually just prime it so I don't have to grind on the starter. But, It runs good after that. Does vibrate some, on ruff area of my yard not all that pleasent, but it an entry level model. Kind of loud. I think the troy built is the same just red in color. Only thing I had to replace other than blades and routine pre-ventive maintenance was the front wheel swivel bushings and washers. Dust and dirt works it's way in and eats the pin bushings and washers up, course I have sandy soil, so I'm sure this wears them out quicker.

Would I buy another one? I dought it I want one with a vanguard twin and suspension. Course as you have found they are twice as much, but I getting older and comfort will go along ways in my later few years.

• 14 years ago

Yeah, I missed the Husquvarna line. I thought the Ariens was also Husky, but I see they are seperate still. Thanks everyone!! There is a person who has a JD Z245 for $2500.00 negotiable on CL. I will look at that as well. All the Craislist postings for used commercial mowers in my city are $$$$$

• 14 years ago

Well, I went and looked at the Husqvarna zero turns. I like the 46" deck strength on the Husky more than the Toro 42". It is less expensive, and the Toro has a 22HP Kawasaki compared to the 19.5 B&S on the Husky, but I think I am going to go with the Husky. I have owned Husky products in the past and had good luck. I alos like that Husky stuff is made by AYP. My Poulan Pro tractor I am replacing is AYP and it still runs good. I just need to cut my mowing time down. Thanks for everyone's input.

• 14 years ago

I bought the 22HP 42" Toro Timecutter and wow. My 2 hr cut turned into 45 minutes, and with better results. Fun to drive. Handled my 20 degree slope just fine, even on damp grass. I am going to love this thing. I cannot wait to cut again next week. Time will tell if it is tough enough, but as far as speed, cut, time, power, and fun to drive, I am impressed.

I wish I had bought one of these years ago. Beats any of the lawn tractors I have owned in the past. my neighbor used it right after me to cut his, now he wants one.

• 14 years ago

I have a CC ZForce 50 going on it's 5th year. It has been flawless, with over 200 hours so far. It was at the high end of residential mowers when I bought it. It came with a Kohler Command 23HP engine. I would buy it again.
    I mow about 2 acres of grass.

My neighbor bought a CC residential ZTR 2 years ago, but the lowere end model,RTZ- smaller tires, deck and everything else. He mows about 2/12 acres of former cow pasture. This unit is to small for his purpose, and he is wishing he had listened to his neighbor . . .

If I had more money, I would have bought a unit with a suspension, as my lawn is not billiard table smooth. Other than this, I am completely satisfied with the quality of the cut, and everything else relating to the ZForce.