Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brodyjaws

used John deere 425 or new x300?

14 years ago

Time for a new tractor! I would like to get a tractor for the next 20 years. I found a JD425 13 years old. not sure of the hrs. I think it was in the 500's. asking price is $4500 with plow. also looked at a new x300 with plow for $1000 less. Capabilities aside, which tractor will still be running in 20 years? or which will be cheaper to own and enjoy for the next 20 years.

Comments (8)

• 14 years ago

Spend a little more and get the x500. I would not spend $4500 on anything that is 15 years old, including a vehicle. You can slso look at the Cub Cadet GT2500 Series.

• 14 years ago

Zoulas, Between the X500 and the GT2500 which would you prefer? We pull a harrow to drag an arena, Mow between 2 1/2 and 3 acres, and push snow. We have a New Holland TC 30 with a loader for the heavy stuff?
    I have also thought of a Boomer, but the come much more pricey.

Jerry

• 14 years ago

I prefer the x500 series over the CC, although the GT2500 is a good $1000 less new. The locking differential with help with the snow. Best thing to do is see it in person. When you are up close, knock on the deck with your knuckles, it sounds like a big old church bell--its THICK AND HEAVY!) . Like I said, check it up close. In the pictures the LA and X series look the same. Up close you will see the LA is a toy whereas the X series is a real well made and well designed machine.

• 14 years ago

Dont get an x300 for plowing. Its really just a mower. I have the plow on my x304 and its pretty fun pushing 2 inches of snow around but any more than that you can forget it. Since I do way more mowing I preferred the x300 price over x500. Also x300 has no hydraulics. Its a pedal lift. When fully raised the blade is still only 5 inches off the ground. You wont be able to drive it onto a trailer unless you remove it. Also there is no down pressure on a pedal lift blade. I also would not spend 4500 on an old machine. I like to have a new machine warranty.

• 14 years ago

Went out and looked at a GT2554. Quite a Tractor. I hope to look at the JD tomorrow.

• 14 years ago

That JD 425 is probably worth about $2500, including the plow which doesn't really raise the value much. A 445 is a different story, but even then $4500 would be about the upper limit for a nice low our unit. And of course the 455 diesel will bring even more. It's important to know how many hours are on that 425 and if possible find out how well it was taken care of.

• 14 years ago

I returned a X320 in favor of the X500 because of the steep walkout I have in my back yard. If your going to be doing any pushing or pulling or have some hills, I'd go with either the X500 or CC GT2500 series. As the previous poster mentioned, the CC will be at least $1,000 less.

• 14 years ago

Just bought the X500 this AM they are delivering Monday. Gave me $700.00 for the old GTH2548.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022