Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

Walk behind lawn vacuum

18 years ago

Okay, I know there's a lawn mower forum and a tractor forum, but I get some good stuff here, so I ask for any advice on the use/value of a walk behind lawn vacuum. I have had a chipper shreader for years, in fact I'm on my second one, which is "broke". I'm thinking maybe instead of reparing, I'll buy one of the walk behind vacuums that also have a small capacity chipper, maybe up to 1.5 inch branchs can be handles.

Any experience/advice?

Comments (7)

• 18 years ago

I have a Craftsman walk-behind, which is similar in appearance to a lawnmower. Works pretty good. Never tried anything as big as 1 1/2 inches, just stuff less than an inch. It's equipped with a hose, which is useful for flower beds UNLESS there are vines in it. Also, the corrugated hose seems designed for twigs to lodge in. Since most of my shredding is leaves, I'm probably going to sell my chipper/shredder. If I had lots of branches to shred, I'd likely not use the walk-behind.

• 18 years ago

The link below will take you to a relatively recent thread in the lawn mower forum on this topic. I wrote a fairly long post there.

I've had a Yard-Man for a few years and I like it. The chipper works fine, but it is basically just for cleaning up medium sized sticks that would clog the vac. One inch thick is usually about the limit unless they are very straight sticks, but my vac hasn't had any problem with anything I could shove into it. I also have a regular chipper but I can remember the last time I had it out. Anything that won't fit in the vac is firewood, kindling, or goes in the burn pile.

If you just push the vac around it will clog, but if you walk the area and pick up the big sticks first and then stop and pick up the stuff you missed as you go, the vac will rarely clog. It sounds like a hassle, but it is probably the easiest part of the job. I never use the hose so I can't comment on that clogging.

BTW, the leaves are shredded up enough to make really nice compost within a year without any help at all (no turning, no adding any extra greens).

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread in mower forum

• 17 years ago

I've had a Sears Craftsman walk behind model #113.797830 that I've loved but the brush broke and the bag is in bad shape. I can't get the parts from Sears because it's too old. Does anyone have one that wants to get rid of or has parts to it. I live in central Florida but I would pay for shipping.

• 15 years ago

Is your lawn vac the old red model with the silver leaf bag? I am interested.

• 7 years ago

I realize that this thread is 8 years old but I'm curious to find out if Randster still has his Vacuum - Shredder - Bagger - Blower? I'd love to see photos and get pricing.

• 6 years ago

Love my 20-year old Troy-Bilt Chipper (1 1/2" sticks) Shredder Vac. I've had a few minor things done to it, and I bought my second new bag last Fall and my second battery. I make sure the oil is changed and everything is oiled and tight before the leaf season starts. It also has a hose that gets around perennials and shrubs, and it's self-propelled. I have a wooded lot and wouldn't get all the leaves to the street without it.

Lowe's has the Troy-Bilt for around $500.