Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bus_driver

Oil filters.

16 years ago

Last year on this forum, there appeared a great list of oil filters that are usable as replacements for the very-high priced engine-maker offerings. For my Briggs, the SuperTech ST3614 fits perfectly, sold by Walmart, apparently a WM house brand. Went to WM yesterday and they have a very limited selection of the ST filters. My suspicion is that they may be discontinuing the ST brand. Had big selection of Fram.

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

How much did you save and how many times a year do you need to change the filter?

• 16 years ago

Oil filters that fit Briggs
    3/4-16 UNC thread with 8-11 psi bypass

length:Wix:Purolator:Hastings:Fram:Kohler:Briggs:Baldwin: JD:Tecumseh:Motorcraft:AC
    2.3:57035:NA:LF503:PH8170:2805001:492932:B7165:?:36563:NA: NA
    2.7:51056:L35310:LF302:PH8172:1205001:492932:B1410:AM125424:36262:NA:PF2210
    3.4:51348:L10241:LF157:PH3614:5215002:491056:BT223:AM101207: ?:FL793:PF53

• 16 years ago

Thanks for crediting where you got the filter list mowernoob!

Wal Mart's ST filters are made by Champion. It's a very good filter for the money.
    Champion makes LOTS of filters, from Mobil I to the cheapo's at the quick lube places. They even make some for the small engine manfs.
    Quality varies from very high to adequate.

• 16 years ago

The "question" by johndeere could be interpreted as a thinly disguised derision. Here is a serious response.The ST filters are $2.49 at WM. I use one per year per mower, I have two such mowers. WM had 6 of the filters, I bought all of them. Was at the store for other reasons, wearing my coveralls with patches on the knees, and decided to save an extra trip later. Local mower dealer gets about $12.00 each for the Briggs brand filters. Thrift practices are just my way of life, a skill born of necessity. From a childhood of tenant farming, I now can write a valid check well into 6 figures, own 7 houses with no debt, and almost 100 acres of land with no debt. Between 2002 and 2005, I donated over $250,000 to favored causes. I do indulge myself a bit. I have a late-model high-performance imported car in my garage- a red one! My everyday car is a (blue) 1988 model . Hope that explains it.

• 16 years ago

"Local mower dealer gets about $12.00 each for the Briggs brand filters."

Wow! Those filters cost twice as much as John Deere brand filters!

• 16 years ago

"Thanks for crediting where you got the filter list mowernoob!"

I have been wondering who I needed to thank. I copied it from this site back in '05 and stuck it on an Excel sheet. Went back a couple times looking for the original post but couldn't find it again and couldn't remember who I needed to thank. It has saved me several dollars over the years. A sincere thank you to Bill.

• 16 years ago

"Local mower dealer gets about $12.00 each for the Briggs brand filters."

"Wow! Those filters cost twice as much as John Deere brand filters!"

Which has a good chance of being a Canadian made FRAM!

I've gotten mixed reports on Briggs filters. Some have thought they were WIX and others have thought they were Champion built. It may depend who the lowest bidder is when Briggs orders them?

• 16 years ago

Great response Bus Driver.
    Sometimes in this forum being thrifty gets you labeled as being "cheap".
    I'am a 59 year old ex-construction worker.
    Being cheap all my life has allowed me to retire at the age of 56 on construction worker's wages.......go figure !

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH