Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patrick45_gw

rose gardening advise please??

16 years ago

well, this is basically my first post here in the garden forums and I have grown to love the idea of growing such beautiful roses as all of you have displayed, and I want to know exactly how I can grow them! Im 13 and really interested in gardening, and Ive already picked up some advise from the internet! one person said that roses thrive if they are exposed to early morning and early afternoon sun and protected from the savage mid and late afternoon sun and protected from the wind,if this is true then the roses will really thrive where I live, where I live its literally like a forest! theres food bearing trees everywhere! ( mainly pecan trees,my neighborhood used to be a pecan plantation before it became a neighborhood in the 1950s.I also have a wild pear tree in my backyard ) and the roses would be exposed to early morning and early afternoon sun and protected from the mid afternoon sun! the only problem is the trees just suck up EVERYTHING REALLY FAST! also, some other people said roses thrive on bannana peels, compost and fish stuff you put into the water and feed them with! if I were to take these people's advise, would I get really lovely roses in my backyard?

Comments (12)

• 16 years ago

If you can find a good spot you could grow roses in large pots. That would eliminate the competition from the trees for nutrients and water in the soil. Check out the EarthKind varieties for some that are disease resistant in your area. Good luck and have fun!

Here is a link that might be useful: EarthKind roses

• 16 years ago

thanks!

• 16 years ago

wow no one else has replied yet

• 16 years ago

Patrick,
    I think your Texas climate and exposure will make it possible for you to grow beautiful roses. Do you have an area away from the pecan tree roots? Even in a small area there should be space for a few roses. Have you decided which roses you like? If not this is the place to ask! There are probably people here that live in your area and can give you more specific advice. Wow I am impressed that you are interested in roses and gardening at 13, and have taken the time to do your research.
    Diana

• 16 years ago

Banana peals are great for more bloom. The fish stuff I would use at planting (bottom of the hole) if you do not want cats or other pets dig up your roses. Compost is always great.

How far away you can plant from the fruit trees?

I would suggest you to start with some easy to grow roses in your climate like Gruss an Aachen (it can be grown in a big pot if you need do that). Belinda's dream is also a good rose for Texas, I am told but this rose will be 5' tall and almost as wide.

Do you have color preferences?

• 16 years ago

Hi Patrick!

Check out Chamblee's rose nursery on-line. They are in Tyler, TX. I've ordered beauties from them and they all did fine, even up here in the frigid winter tundra of Michigan!

I think it is great you are taking an interest in roses. Throwing black banana peels in the planting holes right before you plop your roses in is a real kick:) just be careful that it makes it in the hole, otherwise, if it lands on the ground you may slip and fall if you step on it...

Betty

• 16 years ago

Patrick,

How wonderful! I got so excited when my China rose cuttings took when I was about your age. But there was neither internet nor Garden Web community like this for me to ask or share anything back then. You are in a good time.

The ChambleeÂs Rose nursery is an excellent rose source. You can start out with the Earth Kind roses from ChambleeÂs. I think BelindaÂs Dream is a beautiful rose and would do well for you. You can also call the nursery to ask for more recommendations. If you can, plant the roses outside the drip lines of the trees and they will grow just fine. Also include in your summer reading with rose books from your local library.

And donÂt forget to cut roses for your parents and favorite teachers on those special days to show your appreciation. Needless to say, any young lady would be smitten once presented with a beautiful rose grown by you. But donÂt get so distracted  grow good roses, get a good education, and maybe someday, youÂll become one of the great rose hybridizers.

• 16 years ago

wow thanks everyone! ill call chamblee's nursery and ask about it! I was thinking about belinda's dream too. I want to have a big collection of rose bushes! My sister has one in the front yard, but in the front yard we dont have any trees at all and so the garden thats right off the side of our porch is exposed to the sun all day so that rose bush isnt doing too well, not to mension being crowded into that small space with like 7 cannahs, there are red ones in the front and a few yellow ones further in, also, ivy grows all around the ground in the garden area and basically borders my houses walls like a second wall, it goes all the way up to the windows like a hedge, theres also holly off to one side, its all just a big disaster!

• 16 years ago

Patrick, that's why they invented containers. If you have sunlight for 5-6 hours a day and an appropriate sized container you can grow roses. But be advised that the eventual size of the rose does matter. Belindas Dream gets to be very large in a warm growing climate such as Texas (reports are 6x6). That's not to say that you can't grow it in a container, but you might want to start off with something that will grow a tad smaller in the years to come. How about a miniature or Polyantha rose to start you on your way? Chamblees has a nice Polyantha called Marie Pave that would make a lovely first rose. There are some miniatures that are awesome also.

• 16 years ago

Good luck to you Patrick. I am pleasantly surprised to see a young person as yourself wanting to get started in roses. When I was your age I had a small vegetable garden and just a few roses--mainly Peace rose bushes--that I grew with some advice and help from my mother. I had a ball with them.
    If you can avoid the tree roots, your roses would probably do better planted in ground, but realistically they can do really well if done right and grown in containers especially if you grow mini's, mini-floras', and most of the floribundas on the market. Try to avoid buying any roses from the super centers like Sam's and Costco and the like. Those roses are notoriously unhealthy, virused body bag almost dead roses that have not been winter stored properly and so you end up with unhealthy, improperly labeled roses that you may even inadvertantly plant wrong--too deep. Your local reputable flower nursery with a good rosarian on staff can be a very big help in your attempt at growing good roses. Even check out the on-line vendors as suggested above about Chamblees good roses.
    Good luck and soak up all the info you can here.
    John

• 16 years ago

Patrick,

Do you have a 4-H club nearby? I'm sure you do, you can probably get hooked up with them somehow and show/enter your roses next summer! It is really fun, tons of young people do this and you can take blue ribbons for your rose blooms.

Betty

• 16 years ago

Patrick, I got into roses and gardening at your age or younger too. I've included some useful information that I think you may find interesting at the link attached. I've visited Chambley's and they have awesome stock, grafts and plants in general. You should be fine with them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perennial And Rose Gardening