Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Jeri(jen) & others: Question re: Paul Bocuse and Colette

15 years ago

Jeri (and anyone else who has these roses),

I saw your response to the question about Guillot roses. I have considered growing Paul Bocuse because of the gorgeous photos I see on helpmefind.com. I notice you said his color didn't impress you that much. Does he bleach out quickly? Does he shatter quickly? And little fragrance?

We already have a well-established Abe Darby, Wm. Morris, Tamora & Polka. Could you tell me a little about Paul Bocuse (any vase life?)

I also have considered growing Colette. In your experience, are PB and Colette so similar to the Austins I just mentioned that it would not be worth it to grow? There are so many OTHER roses that I would love to try (or get another of), that I don't want to waste money/space on one that looks just like the other peachy colored roses we have. I sell my bouquets locally, and I realize the vase life isn't great sometimes, but my customers do LOVE the Austin old fashioned look and fragrance of these roses they didn't know existed.

Thanks for your help!

:0) Phyl

Comments (10)

• 15 years ago

I have Colette. I wouldn't consider it a cut flower rose. It's just a pretty, tough, small climber, with small flowers.

• 15 years ago

Hi Phyl -- There's nothing really wrong with 'Paul Bocuse'.
    It's a "personal problem" really.

The bloom is a sort of soft apricot, which sounds fine, but to me looks rather dull.
    One man's ceiling's another's floor, of course.
    I hope to dig this plant up in the late Fall, and take it to a Rose Society
    meeting, so that someone else, who likes it, can enjoy it.

And I'm sorry that I can't tell you about vase life.
    I never cut these blooms, because they don't appeal to me.

We are in the slow process of removing from our garden every rose which does
    not perform well here, or which we flat don't like.
    With water rationing coming, we must maximize the water to the GOOD plants.

Jeri

• 15 years ago

Thanks for your information and experiences, Mendocino rose and Jeri. I guess I won't bother with them, and focus on the ones I just HAVE to have!
    :0) Phyl

• 15 years ago

I also grow Colette & agree with the previous poster. Little climber, not a cut flower rose.

• 15 years ago

I too grow Colette and agree with both previous posters. But I will add that I love her. Maybe it's just a personal thing...Also, I don't have much luck with Austins, but have had no problems at all with C.

• 15 years ago

Hi Phyl,

I have 7 Paul Bocuse Rose bushes. This allows me to have huge bouquets! The flowers last a very long time in the vase. The color is stunning and they have a fresh scent. Paul is rarely out of bloom and most blooms are 7 flowers to a stem. One snip wonder. The bush repeats really fast. Also, very disease resistant. Every time I have a bouquet in my house, people ask what rose it is.

So, as far as comparing color to WM, Tamora, AD, and Polka...In my climate Paul has more pink in it than the others, except AD. It is definitely apricot but not as apricot as Tamora, and no orange cast like Polka. It also depends on the weather.

The flower form is completely different than the other roses. The petals are dense and less delicate than the Austins. I think that is why they last longer in the vase.

If I were to name my top five roses Paul would be on the list. (I have 350)

The only down side is that it spots when it is misty. It is foggy and misty here all the time and I still love the rose.

With that said, I think I will go out in the garden and look at the roses!

One more thing, where are you going to buy Paul? I can only find him as a band.

I hope that helped with your decision.
    Eileen

• 15 years ago

Phyl,

You are welcome. I don't post very often but love PB so much I had to push him on you. I have Rouge Royale on my list, but I have to see and smell it in person before purchasing. Now I need to look up Star of the Nile and Well Being. I love learning about best kept secrets.
    Thanks,
    E

• 15 years ago

Oh my gosh, E, Star of the Nile and Rouge Royale have different but incredible fragrances. And BOTH last forever in a vase. With RR, you want to pick as soon as it's mostly open on the bush, as I'm told it burns easily in the sun. The scent is intoxicating, and I'm one who cannot detect any scent with Tiffany!
    I am still marvelling at SOTN right now, as it has a glow about it, always reminds me of watermelon for some reason. It has been in a glass of water on my counter for days, and it doesn't look old at all. Well Being is just very beautiful and very different.

Thanks again! :0) Phyl

• 15 years ago

I've had PB for three years now (own root) and it has been a huge disappointment in my zone 5 area. It maybe a rose that does very well in warmer climates like California but for me it has been very susceptible to BS and very stingy with it's blooms. In 2009 it will be replaced with ??? Sorry for the poor review but it may work better for you.