Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank27603

This is for Larissa!

15 years ago

These blooms are for everyone, but especially Larissa! Where are you buddy? Did you get trapped in a snowman? I hope not! Miss ya and hope you come back soon! Your posts are absolute hilarity!

These are the little cute bulbs she sent to me and several other members. I don't think we have figured out exactly what they are yet...but I still love 'em! One bloomed and the other started to grow a leaf, but then quit...not sure. I sure enjoyed the blooms and here they are!

{{gwi:370180}}

{{gwi:370181}}

{{gwi:370182}}

{{gwi:370183}}

{{gwi:370184}}

{{gwi:370185}}

{{gwi:370187}}

{{gwi:370188}}

Some with 'Flamingo Star' too!

{{gwi:370190}}

{{gwi:370191}}

{{gwi:370192}}

{{gwi:370193}}

{{gwi:370194}}

{{gwi:370195}}

Thanks Larissa!

-Frank

Comments (24)

• 15 years ago

Pretty pretty pretty! I'm so glad you like them. I HAVE indeed been trapped in a snowman. lol Brecklyn is on Christmas break which means I have zero time to check the forum. I'm starting to get the shakes. Withdrawal is the worst :-( I have a Minerva that's beginning to bloom, so I'll try to post a pic of it today when she's outside playing. It's "beginning" to bloom and I know how you love pics of that, Frank :-) I miss you too, buddy! Monday is the first day of school and I check the forum when the baby is napping so I should be good to go then!

• 15 years ago

Oh, Frank. I almost forgot. When I was at my mother's house for Christmas I was inspecting the bulbs I gave her at Thanksgiving. The Alien Baby I entrusted to her care was ROTTED through and through. It was beyond my saving. I had to educate her AGAIN on letting them dry out THOROUGHLY between waterings. I was like, "Dude. Seriously. Like once every two weeks."

• 15 years ago

The title says "For Larissa", which means everyone else has to peek... it's human nature, you know! We're nosy! Well, I am! :-)

Anyway... I can picture Larissa chasing her kids around, cabinet locks everywhere... it's a huge job being a mother with little ones! I remember those days... and I just watched my daughter-in-law chase around her two youngsters during our visit for Christmas... it's the hardest, most underpaid, under appreciated job there is! There should be a special government fund for Moms, like Social Security but with a higher pay rate, and it should go into effect the day your youngest turns 18!

I do love that little flower! I still think it's some Southern heirloom cross... probably part San Antonio Rose, but with a little something lighter in the genes, as well. Whatever its name, it's really special!

Larissa, my Mom killed every plant she came into contact with... if it was in a pot, it was most assuredly going to die in her care! She over watered everything to death! My grandmother was a super gardener, and I'm fairly good at it... I think the gardening gene must skip a generation. I keep trying to get my daughter interested in growing houseplants, but she's too young yet to appreciate the process. Maybe when she's older...

Great photos, Frank! I also see some Plumeria and Canna, I think, in your photos... is that correct? And that Flamingo Star is just gorgeous! I love that rich color!

Thanks for sharing!

• 15 years ago

It looks like the amaryllis one sees growing all around houses in Haiti.

• 15 years ago

I'm sure Haiti is beautiful! I would love living in a climate like that! You're so lucky, Doc.

Jodi, you have me pegged. I'm always trying to keep my kiddos in check. It is, indeed, the toughest job I've ever had. Hubby doesn't get it. He thinks I have it "easy." I admit I'm lucky. Most women don't have this opportunity in the economy we're in right now. I just wish he would understand why I would pay ANYTHING in the world for a whole day of QUIET. Oh, silence isn't golden. It's platinum and smells like hot cocoa.

• 15 years ago

Almost every woman out there who has children would agree! We all looked forward to that short time while the babies were napping, or to the time when the last one is finally in school! Silence is truly platinum, and it does, indeed, smell like the finest cocoa!

I was lucky enough to be home when my kids were growing up, too... since I'm the step-mom, I missed the baby stage, but my youngest, Kim, was 5 when I entered the picture. For that half day while she was in kindergarten, there was peace and quiet... and I was actually able to get some things accomplished! When we heard that bus roll down our road, we braced ourselves for the noise and action that followed! I swear, my three never sat still for more than a minute or two! They were constantly on the go, or fighting with each other over silly things, as most siblings do... the melee was never ending!

And yet, now that they're all grown up and gone, I miss that... I cherish the memories! Live in the moment, and be part of everything your children do... time passes so quickly and before you know it, it's over... and your house is empty and quiet.

My Mom had a little prayer taped to the inside cabinet door where she kept her coffee cups, so she'd see it every morning... it was a tattered little piece of newsprint, but I can picture the words so clearly...

Lord, give me patience when wee hands
    tug at me with their small demands.
    Give me gentle and smiling eyes,
    and keep my lips from hasty replies,
    so that in time when my house is still,
    no bitter memories its rooms may fill.

Somewhere, in one of the many boxes of items we packed up when we moved, I have that little tattered piece of newsprint... it's taped to a larger sheet of paper along with a few other poems and prayers my Mom saved, and it's protected in a photo album page. I think there are more lines to that prayer, but I can't remember at the moment.

I never understood why she kept it and read it every morning... but now it makes perfect sense. She was reminding herself to be patient with us, because time waits for no one... but memories do remain. She wanted her memories, and ours, to be good ones. I miss Mom.

Anyway... I thought I'd share that little prayer... it meant so much to Mom, and now to me... perhaps it can be printed out, to help make good memories for someone else.

Getting back to the original thought... I don't think men get it until they become grandfathers. Or maybe they do, and they just don't say anything. They go to work, come home, and I think they don't necessarily see what moms go through over the course of a day. I know there were times I would have gladly put in 40 hours of hard labor away from home... but then, I would have missed a lot.

We just got word last night that our youngest grandson, Caleb, is now walking... we missed it by a day or two. We were just there!

• 15 years ago

My bad... I meant for everyone but especially Larissa. I guess I messed up the title. Sorry ya'll!

Yahoo! Larissa is back and full of funny! I'm so glad! Yes, take pictures of the "about to bloom"!!! I hate hearing your mom killed hers, but I will admit I can't get the hang of watering or not watering these guys. I have them planted shallow so the bloomer wants to fall over sometimes. I need a small something to hold him up. Enjoy those kids. My hat is off to ya because I wasn't born with the patience that mothers have...haha!

Jodi- I'm glad you responded. I am just naming my bulbs H. Larissa since we don't know what they are exactly yet. HAHA! Unfortunatly, my CHAD extends way past Hippis! Lets see, in the second picture that is a brugmansia cutting wintering from the large one I have in a pot back home in the care of my family. It gets left outside and for the last 3 winters does indeed come back. I always take a cutting just in case. Below the cutting is some of the 20 or so Orange tree seedlings that I grew from seeds out of an orange I ate...random, but fun! On the other side is a Pineapple top that I rooted also from one I ate. I always wanted to try this and finally did it! In the lower pictures it shows my Cannas and small Elephant Ears all in one pot. I have 4 or 5 different varieties of Cannas in the same pot. They are supposed to be hardy here, but I couldn't leave them out or bear the thought of digging them up and storing them. I did this last year with some young ones to make sure they would make it. I also have Lantana that isn't really supposed to be inside, but I did it last year and continue this year. This was one of my grandmothers plants, so it is very special to me. I also have other random plants like Geraniums, some type of dainty Fern plant, a purple and silver Datura, a baby Agave pup, and a Peace Lily back there in the back. I just want to buy everything when I go the garden center!

Thank you for sharing that special poem. I find myself getting stressed out and wrapped up sometimes and feel the need to just stop for a minute and think about things. A better perspective can always be obtained by asking myself "will this situation matter in 20 minutes or tomorrow or next year"? That usually brings any problem or situation back down to where it needs to be. Typically, it happens most for people that can't drive...haha! Sorry to hear you missed Caleb's first steps. You know what they say...the first 2 years they try and try to get you to walk and talk and the rest of your life you're told to sit down and shut up! HAHA!

haitidoc- I bet things are beautiful there. If you see these, please snap a photo and maybe ask someone if they know a name. We are so curious to find out their true identity!

-Frank

• 15 years ago

JOdi, I love the little poem...would love it if you find the rest of it! Yes, the times were tough when I was raising my five, especially with the dealing with the disabilities! But never a dull moment and I love each of them so much now that they are adults! And I love the fact that after they visit....they go home!

And that leaves me time to grow nice quiet plants!

• 15 years ago

Frank, I used to have two small hardcover books, gifts from my Mom... one was called "Apples of Gold", and the other was something "of Silver"... I can't recall the entire title of the second one. Anyway, they were books of short poems and inspirational sayings. The first one was bound in a gold cover, the other in silver. They were part of a set, I believe. I couldn't tell you what happened to them over the years... I received them a long time ago. There was always an appropriate saying or poem for any situation... and I referred to them often.

You're right... if we stop and take a deep breath, we can gain a bit of calm... and suddenly, things don't look so bad. My Mom used to say, "tomorrow is a whole new day". She also used to tell me that if I thought I had it bad, to take a good look around, because there are plenty of people who have it worse. She always knew exactly what to say... she was a smart lady!

It's funny you should mention wanting to expand your collection to include everything in sight that grows... I've just decided to concentrate on bulbs, mostly Hippeastrum, but also other rare and unique bulbs. No more collecting orchids and other plants that I know I'll have problems with. I'd like to concentrate my efforts on breeding Hippeastrums and a few other bulbs from South Africa and South America. I'm just so tired of the clutter and the disappointment of losing certain plants... I'm spread too thin. If I narrow my vision to bulbs, I'll have a much better time of it. Plus, they're a lot easier to grow, for me anyway.

Here's a little trick for watering bulbs, Frank... stick your finger down into the soil as far as you can... if you feel any moisture at all, don't water. Check them again in a few days... if they feel dry, wait another couple of days. They can absolutely take the neglect! This only applies indoors, or during the cooler months. If you grow them in pots outdoors, they may require more water in summer when it's hot.

I ignored my first Minerva, and she thrived and bloomed reliably every year! I downright neglected her! I find that babying my bulbs only causes rot and fungus problems. I let them really dry out before watering.

I, too, would be interested to know what these are called in Haiti... maybe they have an heirloom name we're not familiar with.

• 15 years ago

Jodi- Unfortunately, I am too ADD to just have bulbs...I have to have a little of everything! I am not too concerned with the rare or exotics because I would just kill them with water and they are so pricy...lol Between my overwatering and the bugs that seem to come out of no where and eat my plants alive somehow, I just can't take it...HAHA!

Where the watering goes, I really have to restrain myself...I just pulled some out of the pot today and they had a little mold on them...eeeek! I am going to have to break down and try your growing medium already. You have been TRYING to tell me. I know I know! Just the miracle grow with perlite is SO easy to do. In my defense, this pot with the little mold didn't have any perlite in it. I think the perlite really makes a great deal of difference. I wonder what everyone else uses. Has there been a thread on that yet? If not, I think we should have one.

-Frank

• 15 years ago

I know it's a lot easier to just use bagged soil with a little perlite thrown in, but if all the particles are not the same size as the perlite, you're defeating the purpose of adding it in the first place!

Plants only really use soil for support, and since we already know that soils behave differently in a container environment than in a garden, it makes sense to use a medium that gives your plants' roots exactly what they need... and that is decent aeration and immediate drainage. Healthy plants begin with healthy roots, and if the soil you're using is decomposing and compacting quickly, you won't have healthy roots!

Those who grow outdoors in hot or dry climates might not benefit as much from the medium I use, but here in the north, it's a different story. We fight rot and molds and fungal problems, and using an organic soil that holds moisture too long is detrimental.

Do your bulbs a favor and at least read the links I've provided in the past... I think once you understand what's going on under the soil surface, you'll see why it's really important to use a more inorganic approach with larger medium particles.

Larry is severely ADD, and aside from being a technological geek and pack rat, he tends to settle down a lot when he drinks sugared coffee by the pot!

• 15 years ago

OMG, Jodi with those dam^^ soil links. Just give up and send the bulbs to me...LOL

I've got CHAD bad with everything green and growing!!!

• 15 years ago

I've got a bad case of CHAD, too... but I think I've got it somewhat under control... I only have a certain amount of space for indoor growing, and a certain amount of cash I can spend without getting in trouble! Those two things combined help keep CHAD at bay!

Just read those damn soil links, already, so I can quit repeating myself! LOL!

• 15 years ago

Chaz you just cracked me up saying those damn soil links. I love it! Jodi, it is on the list to read for sure. I know I appreciate you taking the time to care and share what you've learned with us so we can gain benefit from it as well. :-) BTW, I would be swinging from a ceiling fan if I drank sugared coffee I do believe...LOL! Wait, that sounds fun...lemme find some sugar and coffee as I'm not a coffee drinker...HAHA!

I heard there is no cure for CHAD, but the treatment is simply to buy more Amaryllis bulbs!

-Frank

• 15 years ago

Frank, if you're truly ADD, coffee with sugar will calm you right down... a Mt. Dew will have the same effect. If coffee with sugar or a can of Mt. Dew hypes you up, you're not ADD.

I raised two severely ADD children, and Larry is severely ADD, as well... without mass amounts of coffee with sugar, he'd be climbing the walls or committing criminal acts! We have a professional 2 burner Bunn coffee maker, and it gets so much use, you'd be shocked! We should own stock in Folgers! You know those huge insulated drink cups they sell at gas stations? Well, Larry consumes about a dozen or more of those every day, filled with coffee. Each cup contains about 2 or 3 tablespoons of sugar! It beats the heck out of ritalin or the other drugs available for ADD!

As for those damn soil links... the sooner you read them, the sooner your bulbs will stand a chance at happiness! If you go back in time here, and follow my soil/bulb exodus, you'll see that I ran the gamut from cheap bagged peat based soils to cocopeat and on into many soil amendments, and when none of my concoctions helped keep my bulbs from rotting or root problems, I was forced to looked further into the subject. What I use now is the culmination of much study and many trials and errors.

I might preach about soils a bit more than you want to hear, but it's for your own good! I've gone before you and done the study, lived the experiments, so you don't have to! :-)

If I can help my northern neighbors grow healthy bulbs, I'm certainly willing to share that knowledge! But, I can only point you in the right direction... I can't make you go. The rest is up to you, Frank... I hope you make the journey.

• 15 years ago

Jodi, I don't think I ever mentioned this, forgetful old age here. I spoke to a friend at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens in NY over the past year. He said your mix of soil makes perfect sense for hippis, expecially the non hybrids which can be epiphytic in their home territories.

There is a bonsai place about 45 minutes from me that mixes their own soils, It was recommended to me by this friend. I'll have to take a ride out there as shipping the amount I'm going to need come repotting time will be way to expensive for me.

Frank, listen to Jodis advice. She's the soil queen!!! (almost wrote Dirt Queen...but she's got my home addy!) LOL

Larissa, the baby you sent is still just sitting there hopefully rooting away. I really think it's best for it right now, the sun/plant room really stays cool at night.

• 15 years ago

You can call me Dirt Queen anytime, Chaz... Larry calls me Hag, so I'm sort of used it! LOL!

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who realizes the true advantage of a gritty soil medium! Sounds like your friend at the Botanic Gardens is a smart gardener!

Cost is the only deterrent in buying bonsai soil... it's a bit on the expensive side... but it's not hard to mix your own. If you can find it bulk, even better!

• 15 years ago

Oh, Chaz. I hope it doesn't sit there forever :-( I want it to grow for you!!! If it doesn't, I have an extra one. I would be more than happy to send her your way to trade instead.

• 15 years ago

I'd bet that little guy is busy growing roots... it seems the cooler the environment, the less the top growth. When I want one of my slower growers to hurry a bit, I set it on the heating pad. Chaz's porch may be cool enough where top growth will be slow.

• 15 years ago

Why do I get the feeling I'm in trouble? HAHA! I want to make the journey Jodi, I really do! I just get so sidetracked you see. I truly appreciate your guidance.

-Frank

• 15 years ago

You'll get there, Frank... once you get tired of rotten root systems and rotting bulbs, you'll dive into the reading... and then you'll wonder why you waited so long! :-)

My problem was, I could never grasp the more technical scientific writings on soils and photosynthesis, fertilizers and all that... but once I found a source that was written in easy-to-understand terms, I got it! And once I got it, there was no turning back!

Honestly, I haven't had one rot problem with any of the bulbs or succulents I've got planted in the bonsai type of medium mix. Not one! That says a lot!

It's cool, Frank... I'm just putting it out there... you're the one who must decide to make the journey. You will go there when you are ready, Grasshopper! LOL!

• 15 years ago

I am so excited to share that the seed pod finally opened and the seeds are ripe on this little unknown bulb from Larissa. YAY! It produced quite a few, so if anyone wants some, please let me know. I will be happy to share them!
    {{gwi:370196}}From H. Larissa
    {{gwi:370197}}From H. Larissa
    {{gwi:370198}}From H. Larissa

-Frank

• 15 years ago

WHOAH that's some healthy looking seed there Frank. I still cannot get over how it looks like my lil Miss Ethel. It is so long necked, though. I do believe it is a Striatum of some sort. Very very good husbandry there, my man! I had a lot of seed production with my striatum pollen on Magic Green and Misty Trumpet, but few seedlings developed so I prize the seedlings like gold! Striatum 'Miss Ethel' is again blooming so I am going to try selfing her, although she is like the 'garden' series of amaryllis. She spits out so may clusters and bulblets. I still hope to have others compatible to use her pollen on. I will store her pollen this year to share.

• 15 years ago

Good growing, Frank! Last year, I was buried in seed pods! This year, not so much. But I still have some flowers coming to pollinate, so you never know.

Now, you'll have fun growing the seeds you helped produce! It's an awesome journey, Frank... from bloom to pollination to seed, and then back to bloom with new seedlings!

Sponsored
More Discussions