Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mnten

Best place to order roses

16 years ago

Two years ago, I ordered some roses from Edmunds. They were big, beautiful plants. Now, I understand that they have sold to someone else, and are not near as good.

I have been looking at Pickering,s website. They seem to have very beautiful roses.

I would like some expert advice.

Comments (18)

• 16 years ago

See the recent thread, My Pallatine Order Came Today! to see the quality of roses shipped by Palatine (one 'l') Roses. Palatine grafts on multiflora rootstock. The photo isn't mine, but I can attest to the size, condition and quality of the plants, as I received an order from them this year. They were the largest, freshest, best-quality bareroots that I have ever received.

Here are other threads with additional vendor info:
    Buying Roses By Mail or Online
    Suggestions on the best place to buy antique roses?

• 16 years ago

Other vendors that I have used and have not had a problem are Witherspoon Roses, S&W Greenhouse and Rosemania.com. All sell grafted on Dr. Huey, S&W has a limited number of plants that are own-root. And Nor'East Mini Roses is not just for minis anymore, they have a small selection of own-root floribundas available.

• 16 years ago

Zone 7, Tennessee.
    Anywhere near the Mountains?
    I'd recommend a visit to Appalachian Rose in Tellico Plains (call before dropping in).
    The roses won't be as large as you got from Edmunds, but they will be on their own roots and will be proven to grow well in the foothills of the mountains of TN.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appalachian Rose

• 16 years ago

OK--I've got too much new info. rattling around in my brain. It was much easier to make choices when I knew less. So someone clarify for me: why would I want multiflora rootstock over Dr. Huey? Should all or most or just some regions consider multiflora over the Dr.?

I am Kansas, Zone 6--if I want to go grafted, which should I pick, avoid, or prefer if I have a choice?

Thank you.

Kate

• 16 years ago

A strong second to Ann's advice to try some own-root roses. Another excellent source is Roses Unlimited; they have varieties both old and new. I've ordered roses here from as far away as Texas, and they made it to Virginia just fine! I no longer purchase ANY grafted roses; over the years I've replaced dozens and dozens of grafted roses. I have never, ever lost an own-root rose or had one fail to perform. Quite a difference!

• 16 years ago

Dr. Huey has been a rootstock favored by growers because they could produce a large plant in two years, growing them near Wasco, in California in a playa lake bed.
    Some parts of the country have slightly alkaline soil, which is similar to Wasco, and in which Dr. Huey does well.
    In my acidic clay, Dr. Huey is a disaster. It almost grows backwards. But multiflora grows well (and there's a lot of multiflora gone wild from USDA efforts to get farmers to plant it as a natural alternative to barbed wire. )
    So, I prefer roses grafted onto multiflora or on their own roots.
    Kate, it depends on your local soils. If you garden on loess, Dr. Huey is for you. Likewise on soils that are reworked loess. It's a matter of pH. (And the pH of the water you might be watering with, if you're on a well.)

• 16 years ago

I love Chamblee's for the price and ownroot roses!!...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Chamblee roses

• 16 years ago

Hmmm--could swear I posted last night asking what "loess" is. Don't know where the posting went, but let me ask the question again today. What is "loess"?

Kate

• 16 years ago

Loess is a type of soil that was formed in environments affected by glacial runoff. The soils are light, and have a lot of carbonate in them, giving them structure. The really surprising characteristic is that when a bulldozer cuts a swath through them at an angle, the / surface eroded backwards from the base so the cut becomes vertical. It's a strange thing because most surfaces want to be / or even more tilted (angle of repose). You know that the only way to make straight walls on a sand castle is to wet the sand. Well, if you were carving sandcastles into Loess, , you'd just carve and be done.
    But because there's lots of loess, some it it gets reworked after it erodes and gets redeposited by streams and rivers.
    In North America, loess bluffs are on the east side of the Mississippi and even as far south as Mobile Alabams.
    In Nebraska, I've seen lots of loess in fields...those vertical erosion walls really stand out. And the carbonates in them give them structure and their alkalin nature.

• 16 years ago

Aha, learn something new every day! Thanks for explanation, Ann.

Kate

• 16 years ago

That IS interesting. Now you've made me want to take an American geology class. : )

• 16 years ago

Lisa at Countryside Roses is very helpful and the roses are own root and arrived in good condition. I have also ordered from Pickering, Heirloom, and Ashdown, and was satisfied w/ all of them. Pickering's bareroots are large- about 3 ft tall! As far as price, Pickering is very reasonable even w/ the cost of shipping. The roses I got from the other two companies were own roots and therefore considerably smaller. I think it comes down to who has most of the roses you are looking for at the time. Good luck! Brandy

• 16 years ago

I can never rely on just one nursery, because none has all the varieties that I'm interested in over time.
    My preference is for own-root roses.
    Great own-root vendors are:
    Roses Unlimited for its well-developed size plants and broad selection
    Chamblees for great prices and prompt deliver and healthy plants and good selection
    Vintage Gardens for their many many hard-to-find varieties
    Nor'east for generally reliable, healthy minis at good prices.

• 16 years ago

Appalachian, Countryside, Ashdowns, Chamblees, Rogue Valley all my favorites I prefer own root for most old garden roses and rarely like grafted unless it's a HT. So many grafted roses I've bought become 1 cane wonders in 2 or 3 years!

• 16 years ago

I had great success with own roots from Vintage, Heirloom and Northland Rosarium. Plants were small starting out, but grew very quickly. Own roots are performing better for me in my So. Cal. soil than multiflora rootstock roses. The multiflora root roses are winners in 15 gallon pots ( in acidy potting mix) however, so don't feel afraid to try them that way if your garden soil is alkaline like mine is. I got some great roses from Palatine last year I couldn't find anywhere else.

• 16 years ago

I have always had good luck with Tate Roses; they have a site on the internet. Their prices are goo,have good quality rose plants and reasonable shipping. I just wish they had a little more selection.

• 16 years ago

I've only ordered from 3 mail-order companies but have been pleased with all 3.

Antique Rose Emporium-Nice selection, plants arrived well and have thrived.

Roses Unlimited-Great selection, fast shipping, and huge selection. Since I just got these I can't say how they'll do in the yard, but I can't imagine they won't be wonderful.

Palatine-HUMONGOUS bareroot roses. And they have definitely thrived.

I'd also check local nurseries just in case they have a couple varieties you're interested in. I picked up a rose the other day that was about 18-24"x18-24" with lots of gorgeous blooms that never would have been able to come in a box. And without having to pay for shipping.

Good luck with your purchases, and enjoy! And thanks for the education on loess!

Anne-Lise

• 16 years ago

The absolute best place for grafted multiflora roses has got to be Palatine Roses in Canada. They have certainly earned all the business I can give and send their way. The rose quality is exceptional, customer service is uncomparable to anyone else, selection is extensive, and cost is reasonable.
    How can you top that???
    John