Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruralpa

need a quickie

16 years ago

Gees, I didn't get any seeds for cascading or viney things for my hanging basket sides.

Any ideas for starting this late?

Comments (15)

• 16 years ago

Alyssum sprouts in a matter of days. You could just sprinkle some seeds right in there and keep em moist.
    Dichondra might also work. I had to fight with some of mine to get them sprouting but they're growing pretty fast now.
    I hate to suggest it, but you could also go to a nursery and grab a vinca or Sweet Potato vine. You could get enough cuttings from one plant for lots of containers.

• 16 years ago

Great suggestions! I racked my brain earlier and came up with nothing! But I do agree on the vinca and sweet potato vine,you get plenty from one plant!The sweet potato roots within days and takes off there after,good luck on your baskets,I am sure what ever you choose they will be stunning! :)

• 16 years ago

do you root the sweet potato vine in water? rooting hormone? I never thought to do that!!

• 16 years ago

I just stick them in water in a a clear glass and they root away! :)

• 16 years ago

Sweet tater vines sounds good from the vines.
    I neglected to cut one and put in a glass this winter to get vines.
    The alyssum last year didn't do well for some reason in the containers, think they are in too much sun areas.
    One of my neighbor friends has vinca, think I might go adopt-a-plant!, lol

• 16 years ago

Nasturniums and Morning Glories. There are Morning Glories which create mounds and will flow over the edge of containers which are nice. I'm trying the Ensign ones this year.

I don't think you can beat certain Nasturniums!

{{gwi:391204}}

• 16 years ago

Oh Tiffy, I just love those nasturtiums, what kind are they? Are those peach melba? I have peach melba nasturtium seedlings now but mine are supposed to grow as high as 5 feet! I didn't realize it until I got them home and start sowing them, I wanted the shorter variety.

I was also going to suggest Morning Glories, I have them all over my kitchen germinating in peat pots, I love them and grow them on my deck in containers and also up my light pole along with my clematis'. They germinate very quickly and grow in partial shade and sun, they're great.

Although I know some people don't like them due to reseeding, that's why I grow most of mine in containers on my deck. I'm currently growing Grandpa Otts, Heavenly Blue, Star of India and a big white variety heirloom that someone gave me years ago and I just keep collecting the seeds. They're a lot of fun if you like climbers.

Linda

• 16 years ago

that is absolutely beautiful!! she's right! you could go and get clippings!, i did that for some of my baskets, but to get my clippings to root, it was an experiment for the kids, but we put tme in a baggie, and one had toilette paper (all we had at the time) and one had soil, and ya know blew our air into tha baggie till it was puffed all the way (after we aprayed the leafes) and while it was puffed out zipped it. hung it up with our clothes pins. they got roots all over the place!! it was amazing!! even up by the leaves!! LOL but they did root really fast!! LOL

• 16 years ago

Nice Nicole! I am doing nasties and trailing snapdragons in mine this year. They are all pretty much sprouted,I direct sowed them right into their baskets and wrapped with saran wrap,someone else said that is how they were dong their baskets and I figured it was worth a try,and low and behold it is working great!

• 16 years ago

I almost bought a packet of nasties last night. My snaps bit the bullet when I was out shopping and we had a downpour, the containers had all the soil washed away, so hoping I may have them pop up where they got washed to.

• 16 years ago

It's Vanilla Berry. Last year her seeds were carried locally here and I got this one and Cherries Jubilee, another 'mounding' nasturnium. That's the word you look for if you want those. They are great and keep going most of the season here.

Unfortunately I did not gather seeds and the store no longer sells them. :O( I will definitely order from Renee's next year.

I've been looking for reseeders in the gardens, but haven't seen any so far.

Here's a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Renee's.

• 16 years ago

tiffy - that's gorgeous! Beautiful combos

Carrie

• 16 years ago

Love your pot Tiffy!
    believe it or not, I am actually growing Nasturtiums for the first time this year from seeds that were sent to me from a fellow WSer. So far, so good. Just the pretty little round leaves. I'm dying for them to bloom so I can see what the colors are going to be. I've got some in a pot and some in the ground. Both are doing really well.
    I love your combo of geraniums and nasturtiums. I would never have thought to do that but it is just beautiful!

I'm also totally enthralled with the sweet potato vine rooting. I never thought about it being so easy. I'm definitely snatching one of those plants the next time I'm at the store! :-)

• 16 years ago

i just keep coming back to that nast!!! that yellow is soo pretty!! i don't think i have that one!!

• 16 years ago

Going to a garden store beside work and see of they have any tater vines, and just may stop by the hardware store to get a packet of those lovely nasties to put with my gerbera dasies. I mandated myself to no more flower sales, lol but not to seeds.

Sponsored