Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kqcrna

After the storms

15 years ago

We have been having severe storms again since yesterday. I'm talking severe- with several inches of rain overflowing my gutters, tornado touchdowns reported though not confirmed yet. Tornado sirens have gone off at least twice that I heard. I've lost at least one of my tall 2nd year black prince snapdragons, several 2 ft. stems of rudbeckia with lots of buds, a few coneflower blossoms... Quite a few tiny seedlings have been driven into the soil... really disheartening.

I still have things to plant and some to move. Was hoping to do that today since I don't have to work. The temp is supposed to be in the mid 90s for the next week, not too conducive to planting.

It's raining like crazy again now. We're more than 10 inches above normal rainfall for the year. I guess this beats last year's drought, that's the only good thing I can say about it.

Karen

Comments (13)

• 15 years ago

ohhh Karen!! we've been lucky so far!! all the storms have missed us! just rain is all we get, Thank the good LORD!!! :')) i'm sorry you got hit with them storms, nature's way, wierd but the way. LOL Hugs Medo

• 15 years ago

Thanks, Medo. Don't give me too much sympathy though as I will whine tomorrow when it's 95 with blazing sun and too hot to plant. And the rain always stops in summer.

Looks like I haven't fared too badly in losing some plants. They're showing places on TV with real damage- huge trees down on houses and cars, a car dealership blown apart, roof gone... lots of folks in the tristate are going to be in much worse shape.

Karen

• 15 years ago

Karen,
    I'm glad to hear you're okay!
    I always think of folks on this forum when I watch the Weather Channel and say a little prayer if they have those nasty boxes on the map (the warning boxes).
    Linda

• 15 years ago

Karen,

Was sad to hear of all the weather problems you had. I am glad you all are okay. Maybe the hot weather is good the next day because it will dry up some of that extra rain water.

It will be 99 the next four days here and probably 90s the rest of the week and NO rain! That's not good.

Take care,

Carrie

• 15 years ago

Boy Karen,so sorry to hear about you getting hit so hard! I hope your babies persevere! And both you and Carrie have made me feel better about high 80's coming this weekend! UGH! I don't look forward to the 90's!

• 15 years ago

We've had heavy rains, and it's supposed to rain every day for most of the next 10 days. They are often wrong with the forecast.

Most of my plants are still in their trays, open jugs or in the ground and big enough to handle it except the foxgloves I set out today.

Hope everybody stays safe.

Grass will grow fast and weeds, don't want to think about it.

• 15 years ago

High today of 90. With all the humidity it's going to be tough to enjoy the garden.

• 15 years ago

We're forecast for high winds until 10pm and servere storms this evening into tonight. High temp. is 91 and the humidity is suffocating. It is hard to enjoy the garden and I came back from vacation with two new roses from the Antique Rose Emporium in Brenham, TX to plant. Just keeping them watered for now in hopes of a bit of a cool down next week.

• 15 years ago

Sorry to hear of others difficult weather related gardening. This has been a slow spring for us with cool weather slowing plants. Last week we had golf ball sized hail and now smashed plants are put into perspective as we deal with home damage. I've spent three long days picking up leaves and twigs from the lawn and gardens and have more to do. Some plants are fine as were protected by a large pine tree and one side of the house. Others have been pruned and may grow and bloom again. Many may not bloom again until next spring. All the clematis were pruned way down and this after I had just pinched them back. Lilies and iris took a beating. Still I have blooms though some of them are not as full as earlier many plants have a couple of bloom stalks. All my ws plants were still in containers so were protected. I spent a bit of time pulling hail out of the containers, didn't want those sprouts frozen or squashed. I think only one of them is completely gone. Many of my large pots were broken and plants needed to be repotted.

More severe weather forecast for late today so will go out and put the lids back on the 2L and bags over the milk jugs. Planted poppies out on Tuesday and hope they will survive.

I consider myself fortunate as many have lost their homes completely.

• 15 years ago

I, too, was lucky with no real storm damage. No problem with my house or trees and only minimal to flowers. The wind was brutal. It partially BLEW an African daisy from the soil. The soil was so wet (5 inches of rain in 2 days), tall stems of many plants were knocked over. A whole clump of larkspur went over part way, pulled from the dirt part way. I staked and tied them and am hoping for the best. One black prince snap, one piece of coneflower (echinacea), a few tall stems of rudbeckia...

An interesting addition: Since the soil is so wet, footprints are left. A deer apparently wandered around and through 2 of my flower beds last night, leaving tracks. I guess he didn't like the menu because he didn't seem to eat anything. Among the offerings were ruds, echinacea, snapdragon, larkspur, potentilla, butterfly weed, petunia, gaillardia, zinnia, African daisy...and chives. Lots of things, but I'm glad he didn't like my menu or my cooking. (He's not alone there).

Karen

• 15 years ago

So sorry to hear about the weather related problems. Karen you are so lucky with the deer not eating your plants! They are garbage guts here and eat everything.

I had a bunny rabbit today. He didnt like my yard either he went to the neighbors. I had a dead mole he tunneled into some daturas. DO you think he was poisoned? I will have to plant more. LOL Barb

• 15 years ago

I often watch CNN in the morning to see how your elections are going in the US and often see those warning of weather extremes. That is when I don't have zonal envy and I shudder at the thought of such heavy rains and high temperatures this time of year. I always think of you folks and wonder how you do it. 90s at this time of year? UGH!!

Karen,
    Deers won't eat a lot of the offering in that garden - rudbeckias, echinacea, chives, butterfly weed... Plant some Capanulas, Phlox Paniculatas, and Hostas and you'll be battling them as I am right now. Just had a young doe go through yesterday but the dog chased her out. Unfortunately the dog is a strong solid sleeper and the deers know this. :O(

I'm sure your gardens will recover from the storms and you'll have many bloomers this summer!

• 15 years ago

Really, though deer are often seen in our subdivision, I have never had them eat my plants. I've had more problems with voles and rabbits.

My neighbor just told me that 4 areas damaged in the city have been officially been labeled as tornados. Others that look tornado-torn have been categorized "straight line winds". I have just a few stragler WS containers still to plant out but I don't think they'll take it in this heat- 93 today. Even with chairs for protection, that's a lot to ask of a 1/2 inch seedling.

Karen