Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningwithlcgrace

Are this year's ws'n babies flowering yet?

15 years ago

I'm just wondering if mine are doing ok. They're still, for the most part, still in their hos formation. I've had 1 bachelor button take off and flower and my coreopsis is growing well (no signs of flowers yet) but everything else is still small.

Is this to be expected? I'm in zone 5. Thanks! LC Grace

Comments (12)

• 15 years ago

LC Grace, I'm in zone 5 and none of mine that were sown this year are blooming yet. My African Daisies had buds on them, before my 2 year old pulled them up, but nothing else is even close.

Some of the ones sown last year are blooming, or getting ready to bloom though. I have buds on my Asclepias tuberosa (Butterfly Weed), Gaillardia 'Burgandy', and Shasta Daisy 'Alaska'.

The Verbascum 'Southern Charm' is starting to bloom, and I noticed this one blooming yesterday. It's Aquilegia chrysantha and was wintersown in '07.

{{gwi:239282}}

Bonnie

• 15 years ago

A few- larkspur, Laura Bush petunia, dwarf cosmos, a few zinnias just starting, nasties just starting. That's all I can think of now.

Karen

• 15 years ago

The Alyssum Carpet of Snow and Pastel Carpet were planted out HOS and have been blooming for awhile now, even though they are still pretty small clumps. The Dill is just starting to bloom. Some of the Rudbeckia hirta is starting to send up buds. That's it so far.

• 15 years ago

Sounds like I'm keeping up with everyone else. I've sown more this year than any other and have them planted at the edges of my beds hoping to fill in. Even with our wacky weather and temp fluctuations, it's been good growing. This is the first time that I've been really paying attention to them (because there are so many different things).

Everyone's pics and descriptions are helping me tremendously this year...and so nice to look at! Thanks so much! LC Grace

• 15 years ago

phew....I thought mine were the only plants that weren't growing. All of mine are still really small except for my poppies. I actually got a bloom from them last night. Yippee.

• 15 years ago

Zone 5 here, I have one or two violas, NOTHING else, Im still getting excited about true leaves. Its finally staying over 50 at night consistently and things are just STARTING to actually grow. Then I read about people harvesting seeds already and wonder if I should move....

Ive also got a couple nemophilia, are those perennial tho, they may have come back from last year.

• 15 years ago

Most of my blooms have been from last year's perennials/biennials.

As far as annuals, I have some Phlox of Sheep blooms. My alyssum bloomed earlier in the year, and looks like it is beginning to set seed. Quite a few nasturtiums are blooming, although the majority were direct sown. I have a few buds on my some of my Calendula Pink Surprise, Pink Peony Poppy, and Zinnia California Giant.

• 15 years ago

This spring's weather has slowed quite a bit of growth and blooms this year.

So far I have these blooming now.

Blue thimble gilia
    {{gwi:406378}}

alyssum carpet of snow scattered around various garden beds
    {{gwi:407015}}

alyssum carpet of snow and alyssym rosie o'day in this planter I created

{{gwi:400712}}

{{gwi:407017}}

Malva zebrina came back from last years WS plant

{{gwi:400722}}

getting buds on the following

zinnia thumbelina and several other zinnias,
    monkey flower
    portulacca

Fran

• 15 years ago

So far Johnny Jump Ups take the cake for flowers. I didnt intentionally winter sow these. The ones that I did try and winter sow NEVER grew. :(
    May:
    {{gwi:407020}}
    Last week:
    {{gwi:407023}}

Other than that, African Daisies and Alyssum are blooming, Nicotiana are showing signs of doing something other than looking like cabbage, Bachelor Buttons have buds but the plants themselves are so dinky. Cleome are just leaves, Cosmos Sensation and Bright Lights are big and bushy but no buds and some of the Zinnias look like they're ready to get serious.

I understand your frustration Grace. For awhile there I wondered if I was growing midget plants or something. They'll take off eventually. :)

• 15 years ago

I've heard several people mention their African Daisies are blooming. My plants are teeny and sad looking, not even thinking about producing buds. Probably the constant rain isn't helping them.

I did notice a couple blooms on my snapdragons yesterday! These plants are from seed saved from last year's WS'n tall deluxe mixed snapdragons. So far, one white bloom and one yellow.

• 15 years ago

Been a tough Spring in Pa if you ask me. I am just down the road from you and most of my stuff is at a stand still, Ws or Spring sowed. Exceptions are the potatoes, onions, broccoli and pansies.
    Is, ok I am going to finish planting seedlings this weekend and go to sow fall veggies. The Purple cauliflower I saw just starting to poke out of the seed this morning.

• 15 years ago

Mostly it's previous years' successes that are blooming now--Digitalis, Feverfew, Oriental poppy, Columbine. I'm a zone warmer and still waiting for some poppies and bachelor buttons to bloom. I'm attributing this to a colder than usual spring. Violas are just starting and it's too early around here for zinnias, sunflowers and four o'clocks. Then there are the microscopic ones like Orlaya, Salpiglossis, Coleus, Portulaca and Agastache which I'm praying I don't accidentally weed away (R.I.P.--a wintersown tomato plant yesterday).

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County