Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

Some end of August Pics

16 years ago

Can't believe the 1st of September is just around the corner! That around here usually means the first frost commeth quick...eeeeeeeeek! It's normally around Sept. 15-18th

Snapdragon 'Black Prince', 3rd year around....I moved the ones to this bed about this time last year so there not as big as the ones I left alone...either that or they don't like the soil here as well.

{{gwi:425638}}

Marigold and Petunia...

{{gwi:425641}}

Sunset Flowering Kale.....had nice color before summer, then they faded real bad but looks like the cooler nights are helping them along. My only real problem with these were early summer aphids...and I mean BAD. I almost yanked them because it was too hard to get to the aphids in the tight top forming center rosettes with the water hose, but sure enough the ladybugs and parasitic wasps figured it out!

{{gwi:425643}}

Here is my one and only Cactus Zinnia...I removed the first flower...I didn't like it. I figured it needed to grow a bit because the plant was scrawny looking so the flower was too...has new buds, so maybe. Of course that's BES and Amaranth in there.

{{gwi:425644}}

Sweet Alyssum and Catmint (Nepeta mussinii)....

{{gwi:425645}}

This years wintersown Anise Hyssop....every last one of them bloomed this year! The bees LOVE them :D

{{gwi:425647}}

Comments (8)

• 16 years ago

I can hardly believe it is September soon either. Lots of color still coming in your garden Vera. :-) I started ornamental cabbage, but haven't gotten them out of their little seedling cups and into the ground and they are not growing at all. Maybe if I plant them in the ground they will. Thanks for sharing. :-)
    pm2

• 16 years ago

All I have to do is look at some of annual beds and they already look like mid sept and even later. The cold weather last week really got to a lot of them. Then the weekend heat seemed to perk them up some.

Nice pics vera.

Fran

• 16 years ago

Beautiful pix, Vera - September is seed collecting time...

• 16 years ago

Vera - I love the alyssum and catmint - that is so gorgeous

prairiemoon - I potted my cabbage seedlings up into 3" pots and they are just sitting there - still only 2 sets of true leaves. We are FINALLY having lower 90's and upper 80's temps instead of triple digits so I am hoping for some growth as the temps get cooler....

Lynne

• 16 years ago

Thanks,

Lynne and PM,

When did you start your ornamental kale/cabbage? These guys get seriously stunted growth if not potted up to at least 6" containers or out in the garden. At least that is what I gathered from the commerical growing of these in a PDF file I posted last in the forum.
    I gotta run to the Post Office, but if I find it I'll re-post it.

Vera

• 16 years ago

Lynne, the weather has been fairly cool here with a few days of heat mixed in. At least I am not the only one. [g] This has been my first try at starting them from seed and not buying them. I am not impressed at this point..lol. I would think I am only a couple of weeks away from when I would normally buy them already full grown. It is perplexing to me.

Well...since you are having the same result and think it is due to high temps, maybe mine have not been as low as they needed either. I am going to put them in the ground this weekend and see what happens.

Thanks Lynne :-)

Sorry vera... [g]...didn't mean to hijack your thread...I couldn't help it. It was your beautiful ornamental cabbage that we are reacting to. lol

• 16 years ago

LOL!! You highjacker you anyway LOL!!
    I don't mind.

They are full grown and beautiful when you buy them, but they get potted up accordingly from starter trays to 6-8" pots. Sometimes they are seeded right into the final pot size from the get go. They are prone to stunting if the roots get too pot bound early on. I started mine in early spring and had them in the ground in the 1st true leave stage :D
    Here they are on May 23:
    {{gwi:425648}}
    June 1st
    {{gwi:425649}}
    June 6th...
    {{gwi:425650}}
    June 17th
    {{gwi:425651}}

Here's the link I was telling you about...

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowering Cabbage and Kale

• 16 years ago

Well, that is a surprise Vera, that you started yours in the spring. I didn't sow my seed until about a month ago. I didn't realize they had to grow all summer to be big enough to be useful in the fall. Thanks for the photos...very interesting to see how they progressed. I'll have to read that link for next year. :-)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County