Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Pop Up Greenhouses

17 years ago

I was checking out the Growing from Seed forum and found info on pop-up greenhouses that would more than likely work well for raising butterflies, too. One of the large walk-in pop-ups is $70. Now, that's not really too much when you consider the room available for plants! Is it?

Anyway, the website indicates that Home Depot is also one of their retailers, or you can order and pay shipping costs (kinda high). But, it may work out about equal between shipping costs and wholesale prices, and actual cost to purchase at HD.

Cool, huh?

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Pop-Up Greenhouses

Comments (17)

• 17 years ago

Susan, That's a nifty-looking greenhouse there! Maybe you want to do that instead of building the cage that I have. I've been a little under the weather and didn't get to finish the instructions yet, but they'll be done one of these days soon. When I get bad headaches, I can't think to do something like that. I have a sinus infection (third one of the season), so I'm hoping that won't last too long. Anyhoo, I really like the looks of that greenhouse and would imagine that it would be okay for raising the cats as long as it doesn't get too hot in there.

• 17 years ago

The only problem I can see is that it may well overheat during the summer. In my hothouse with the door,vent and window open it gets up to 110 plus.

Get a beach pop up tent instead, that's what I use. Got mine on ebay for about $30.

Penny

• 17 years ago

Here's the link Penny

Here is a link that might be useful: popup tent

• 17 years ago

napapen, I like that tent even better, and you can't beat the price, huh. I liked the greenhouse, but I'm concerned about the heat. I don't actually know how hot it would get inside there.

• 17 years ago

I love the tent, it is very portable so I moved it from the pipevine when the pvs were done over to the milkweed. I left the doors open when I had no cats in both areas and the butterflies went in and laid eggs without a problem. I then closed the doors and would check several times a day (obsession!) to see if everyone was safe. Had the biggest population ever.

Penny

• 17 years ago

There are ventilation windows in the greenhouse. But, I think I like the beach tent much better - and probably easier for me to handle. However, how does one make sure it doesn't "fly off" in the wind? We are one of the windiest states in the union. Winds were up to 60 mph yesterday. We get many of these so-called "wind storms" here. When we do, we often have the proverbial Oklahoma dust storms to which the phrase "Oklahoma Dust Bowl" is attached. Guess I could make put some of the square stepping stones around the bottom, and set pots on these.

Thanks for the link, Penny!

Susan

• 17 years ago

It has tabs on each corner and stakes to put in the ground to hold it. However I'm not sure even the hothouse would stand up to those winds. You could use bigger stakes for the tent.

Penny

• 17 years ago

Penny and Cathy - I DID IT! I ordered the tent. I would love to build one, too, but if I'm the only one willing (get that?) to work on it, it is wiser for me to get the tent. I will put a couple of benches in there, so I can stack the plants.

I'm curious, Penny, how do you use your tent? Just for plants with caterpillars on them?

Susan

• 17 years ago

Susan, That's great, and I bet it will work out really well for you. That's a good idea to put benches in it and you can double up on your plants that way.

• 17 years ago

I use the tent to put over the plants in the ground and keep the cats safe from predators. It's worked very well for me. I don't have much milkweed in containers anymore as I have been planting it in the ground. I have even had them emerge in the tent.

Penny

• 17 years ago

Yippee! I bet they do emerge in your tent. It is closed on all sides, isn't it?

The reason I wanted to put plants inside it, is because I can put several different host plants with caterpillars inside it. I can put some Rue plants inside the tent, as well as several milkweeds. As the cats eat the plants down, I will switch them out with plants growing in pots that have more foliage.

Thanks, everyone, for all your great ideas!

Susan

• 17 years ago

There are two doors that zip all the way up. Leaving the doors open the bflys laid eggs inside, then I shooed out the bees and closed the doors. Penny

• 17 years ago

I got the tent today and we opened it in the living room! Wow! It's HUGE! I love it, love it, love it. So does my granddaughter!

Susan

• 17 years ago

She might just have to fight with the caterpillars to decide who it belongs to! ;-)

• 17 years ago

Hee Hee - I know, Cathy! Besides, she already has a Barbie tent. But, this one is so much bigger. I propped it up against the wall, and she got in between the two halves with her pillow and blanket and was laying there watching cartoons this afternoon! That child!

Susan

• 17 years ago

I'm so glad you're pleased. It takes up alot of room and I can imagine how it looks in the house.

Penny

• 17 years ago

Paul, Penny gave me the info on the pop-up tent that I purchased. Try her link and you'll get a picture of the tent.

Susan

Sponsored