Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haxuan

Still another whacked jade

15 years ago

I wanted to improve the quality of my jade so I decided to whack it. Here're few pics to share.

First whacked on Sept 1:

{{gwi:485746}}

One month later:

{{gwi:485747}}

Four months later:

{{gwi:485748}}

And Five months later:

{{gwi:485749}}

I hope I will have a beautiful, healthy jade by the end of this year.

There's an observation, though. You can see from the above photos that the cuts right above the nodes grew more leaves and more quickly than one that was cut way above the nodes. It was my mistake this time :-(

Xuan (from Vietnam)

Comments (9)

• 15 years ago

nice.

why did you leave the one leaf on?

• 15 years ago

Hi Xuan,

Nice job...shape is looking very nice! Xuan, Can you please explain what you mean by "You can see from the above photos that the cuts right above the nodes grew more leaves and more quickly than one that was cut way above the nodes. It was my mistake this time :-(color> I'm a little confused...LOL

I have that on one of the branches on my Jade that I whacked! Sparse leaves...

• 15 years ago

Hi Xuan,

Your Jade looks great! I love the look when the thick trunck grows new leaves - all fat and bushy. Here's one of my biggies a year or so after I whacked it...
    {{gwi:485751}}

It's been a few years and it needs a good shaping again. Maybe this will be the year!

Denise in Omaha

• 15 years ago

Oh... Denise, your jade looks fabulous!!! I love that color! Is it 'Sunshine jade' or just the common one being exposed to sun? Beautiful, indeed.

Pug, please look closely at the two photos below. The red arrows indicate the "right" cuts, just a little bit above the nodes.
    The blue arrow indicates a "wrong" cut and the brown arrow indicates a leaf already formed before I made the cutting. The second photo shows the difference in leaves formation. That's what I meant in the initial post.

{{gwi:485755}}

{{gwi:485757}}

Oh, and I left one leaf when whacking my jade because I wanted to see... some life on the plant while waiting for new leaves! It was just me... LOL!

Xuan

• 15 years ago

Very good job pruning and documenting the process. They to tend to become overgrown, so it's nice to see that they can be cut back so they don't get too heavy.

Thanks.

• 15 years ago

Thanks Xuan for the great explanation...:o)

Very nice Denise, Jade(Sunset)?

• 15 years ago

Hi, Xuan!
    Thanks for the pictorial!
    It's so very helpful to have picture-sequences like this around...when trying to convince folks to whack their Jades!

I see what you mean about the cuts. I, too, prefer to cut a small ways above a node. I leave about 1/8 to 1/4 inch above the node, so that the stem can dry up, shrink, and fall off, leaving a "naturally callused" cut behind. Usually, a pair of new branches will appear - though sometimes just one branch will appear. I think we'll have to add some of this advice to Blutarski's Best Pruning Methods thread.

Denise!
    What interesting bark on the trunk of your jade!
    Is that a Hummel's Sunset? Superb color regardless of variety!
    Pinks, oranges, reds....like a delicious sherbet or sorbet.

Josh

• 15 years ago

Nicely done Xuan & lovely explanation & informative pix. Wonderful contribution you've made -- thanks!

• 15 years ago

I'm glad to have been able to add something to this wonderful forum ... :-)

Xuan