Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinoissucculentgro

WANTED: Red Horn Tree Jade

Hello all,

I have been lurking around this forum for some time and decided it would be a good time to join in!

I know there are many knowledgeable jade experts here. Would anyone know where I can get my hands on a cutting of "Red Horn Tree" jade?

Thanks all,

-Brandon

Comments (28)

• 12 years ago

I don't have one of these....
    but I've heard that you can buy them from Germany. The cost is somewhat prohibitive, however.
    It might be awhile before this one is widely available here. I'm on the lookout as well....

Josh

• 12 years ago

not the most popular place or call 701/858-5660

• 12 years ago

Hey, Mrlike!
    That is an interesting Crassula. Not a 'Red Horn Tree,' however.

Josh

• 12 years ago

Tell me more about this Crassual Jade Red Horn tree. Could it go by a different name? I have a 'Devel's Horn' Crassula but it certainly never grows into a gree. Thanks, Norma

• 12 years ago

Mrlike2u...I tried that website but unfortunately it said it was Closed for shipping plants until further notice due to flooding. Thanks for the link, though! I had NO idea anyone in the States had them for sale.

Norma, not an expert on it but I think its the Hummel Sunset version of 'hobbit'? if I'm not mistaken.

Here's a picture I found on the internet...NOT mine!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of 'red horn' Jade from flicker

• 12 years ago

I could see why this is wanted. It's a beautiful color plant. I went to the web site also,closed. I'd like this plant too.

• 12 years ago

I went to the website, as well, and it showed a Crassula nudocaulis....not a Crassula ovata.

Pug is correct. The 'Red Horn Tree' is the Hummel's version of the 'Hobbit.'
    Also, the image in Pug's link is of the correct plant.

Josh

• 12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies!
    The jade "Red Horn Tree" is supposedly the hobbit version of "hummel's sunset". If anyone has cuttings or finds a source of obtaining this plant please let us know!

Norma, I've never heard of "Devil's Horn". Where did you get it?
    -Brandon

• 12 years ago

Mike..why do you say Jade Point isn't the most popular place?
    I've been ordering from them a couple years. Their succulents are beautiful, healthy, pest and disease free. Prices aren't bad either.
    They've even sent Bonus plants.

I too thought C. nodocaulis was the Red Horn ppl were talking about, so when I came across it at Jade Point, I bought two. lol.

C. nodocaulis looks nothing like the plant, Nancy posted.
    But, I'd sure like to get my hands on one, too, lol.

Does anyone know what species Red Horn is? Thanks, Toni

PS: Brandon, if I find one, I'll let you know.

• 12 years ago

I agree with all of the above, it is a sport of C. ovata cv.'Hobbit' but is is still 'Hobbit' nothing more, There are many sports of Kalanchoe Bryoophyllum 'Mother of Thousands' as well, it is still the same species. It can grow to an old bush, is you live long enough you may see this, it certainly a novelty. 'Devel's Horn' I believe a received from an old friend in San Francisco, I would offer a piece but mine will not be ready until the end of Winter, they start easily from a leaf. Any thing you need propagated I am happy to do for you. Schick hybrids are coming out my pockets. Will not send anything out with out the postage covered first. Karen taught me a good lesson, she warned me. I do not sell plants, nor to people coming out of the woodwork. I do this for friends.
    Many sports revert easily and may not grow like the mother plant, especially from just a leaf. Norma

• 12 years ago

Mike..why do you say Jade Point isn't the most popular place?

Because Miles2go, Out of Africa, Messa Gardens seem to be a more popular choice among the readers of the forum

• 12 years ago

Hey Toni!! Nice to see you. Does your Crassula nudocaulis Devil's horn that you ordered from Jadepoint have those red tips on the end like they show on their website? Or is this something that needs full sun to achieve.

I'd love to see a picture of yours if you have one...thanks!

We're definitely on the look out for the very elusive for the
    real Red horn tree jade aka Hummel sunset 'hobbit'. If anyone finds a source please post.

• 12 years ago

Norma, please correct me if I've misunderstood.
    Are you saying Red Horn is nothing more than C. hobbit w/red leaf tips?

Mike, I've order from Miles2Go several years and when I discovered, Out of Africa, 2 yrs?, bought from them, too. In fact, just got a few more Euphorbias from OOA. Never heard of Messa Gardens, but will check.

But, I was delighted when I found Jade Point and Thistledown, too. Both have great succulents.

Hey Nancy. How've you been? My camera or batteries are no longer working, but I have a couple pics of Devil's Horn when it first arrived. It didn't have the red...guess it needed more sun and cold for tips to redden.
    DH was in bloom though, and very healthy. DH meaning my plant, not husband, lol.

I'm waiting to hear what Norma has to say whether or not it's a Hobbit.

{{gwi:650204}}

{{gwi:650205}}

The pic was taken the day DH's were repotted in one container. We've had so much rain, I haven't been outside much, so don't know if the leaves have reddened. We have had cold nights, 'sigh,' but not much sun.

Hope you'ree well, Toni

• 12 years ago

Hey, Toni, nice 'Devil's Horn'....first time I've seen one.

The 'Red Horn Tree' is the 'Hummel's Sunset' version of Crassula ovata 'Hobbit.'
    'Hobbit' has naturally red tips, but the 'Red Horn Tree' is practically flourescent.

Josh

• 12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures Toni, sorry about your camera! It is a a beautiful plant! Its my first time seeing a Devil's Horn too other the picture from Jadepoint. The bloom spikes are pretty cool as well.

• 12 years ago

Not to change the course of this thread but might someone provide a link to Out Of Africa website as I am unfamiliar with it. I know about Miles2Go and Mesa Gardens. Thanks

• 12 years ago

Bikerdoc,
    Out-of Africa-Plants.com is what I typed in and they are in Naples,Florida
    Sharon

• 12 years ago

Thanks Sharon... I guess I should have know it was that simple.

• 12 years ago

Josh, thanks. When I first heard Red Horn mentioned here, 'without seeing a picture', then found Devil's Horn on JadePoint, I got so excited thinking it was the same plant. lol.

Red Horn sounds beautiful. Hopefully, they make their way to USA.

Thanks Nancy. I'm going to buy new batteries to see if that's the problem. If not, guess it's time for a new camera. My camera is a real antique, from the cave-men days..lol.

After Josh's description, I really want a Red Horn Tree. Does anyone here have one? I'm not asking for cuttings, just curious. Toni

• 12 years ago

Toni,
    one of our members, Jade Man (Doug), does have a 'Red Horn Tree.'

Also, in the link that Pug provided, you can see a pic of Ben's various rare Jades.
    Ben has showed us incredible plants, and he offers cuttings for sale at certain
    times of the year.

Josh

• 12 years ago

Afternoon Josh...well, Good-Morning to you.

I'll have to check Pug's thread. Thanks..Ohh, rare succulents...hehe

• 12 years ago

Hey Toni...I found this link while doing some research on this Jade...without question the most beautiful pictures of Red Horn tree hobbit I have ever seen...Just gorgeous! The reason I've been lusting for this Jade for over a year now...

Below is the link...Its in French but I have google translator that translated it to English.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link with pictures of red horn tree 'hobbit'...

• 12 years ago

You guys are cracking me up..lol

Now 'lusting' is an understatement!lolol

By the way, you know me, just as soon as mine gets even big enough to share, I will give it some thought.
    I am waiting for mine to color up with these long dreadful cloudy days and I will post a pic for you

Mike:-)

• 12 years ago

Pug..glad you posted. I couldn't find the thread Josh mentioned.

That is one BEAUTIFUL, GORGEOUS, Crassula!! I want one, too. The colors are amazing.
    Is that the succulent that keeps color despite light??

Hey Mike. You found one? Did you ever post a pic? Where did you find it? Please tell. :)

Mike, I never ever ask people for cuttings, but if you plan on sharing, I'd like a small piece. I'll pay shipping and a little extra for the cutting..That is if you don't mind.

Does yours have the colors like the plant in the link Pug posted?

• 12 years ago

If anyone gets/has a plant and is worth sharing I will gladly pay for shipping and some extra as well! Please keep me in mind!
    Does anyone know any background info on it? Like where it originated from (country). Just curious as to who is breeding them. Correct me if I'm wrong but someone must be crossing them for new varieties, correct?
    -Brandon

• 12 years ago

I got mine from Germany with quite a bit of work and money.

I wish they were more available around these parts. I can never understand why certain parts of the globe can have access, such a privilege to such plants while us here do not. Oh well.

Toni:

Mines was just starting to color up, that is until these nasty clouds and rain moved in for days! I hope to keep it outside in full sun for a little longer as the sun pops out tomorrow!
    I am considering sending it to a great friend here, as his climate is more conducive to rapid growth and his ability to grow jades is astounding to get it to grow more rapidly. I will e-mail you my friend.

Mike

• 12 years ago

"Does anyone know any background info on it? Like where it originated from (country). Just curious as to who is breeding them. Correct me if I'm wrong but someone must be crossing them for new varieties, correct? - Brandon"

Hi ! I'm new to this forum. I'm the french guy from the link given by Puglvr1.
    I don't know who selected this cultivar. The only thing I can tell you is that it was first massively produced in The Netherlands.
    Since the late 90's it is regularly available in french supermarkets and garden centers. Especially during fall season when plants start to show pretty colors.

• 12 years ago

Frenchsucculent,
    When you want to buy in quantity and send to the U.S. count me in please.
    Thanks

Sharon