Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spongey600

spongey's peppers update & pics

13 years ago

well the YEllow 7 pot is looking like it will pull through after a scary week of trying to keep it alive after bad case of shock(has new growth) i lost my devils tongue to shock, my Chocolate Bhut lost a few leaves but is going to make it. I called Mr Duffy @ Refiningfirechilis.com(he has been a great help so had to plug him! LOL) to see if he had anymore plants for sale, which he has planty. He hooked my up with

a new Devils tongue, and i picked up a pinquita de mono, and Jamaican red. here are a few pics i took tonight after getting all the new ones in their new homes!

Here is my poor Bhut, he looks so bad but is making a comeback!

here is the scorpion

here is the new devils tongue, in a 7gallon pot

Jamaican red

Pinquita de mono already flowering

Hopefully we can get some warmer(less windy) weather here by MIssion bay in San Diego so i can start hardening these guys off! sorry no pic of the 7 pot i will be updating this as time goes on! thanks to everyone on this forum that has posted i have been able to read and get a great idea on how to have a great growing season!

Comments (18)

• 13 years ago

Some name's I've not seen before, but nice looking peppers.

• 13 years ago

can anyone chime in on the shade of green the devil's tongue leaves usually are? mine seem to be a lighter green than say the scorpion. is this normal? i will take better pics tonight wneh i get home and it is light out.

Eric

• 13 years ago

Eric, I've reduced my watering down to once a week with the temperatures we have been having lately, and it is really helping in the yellow leaf department. I'm in Los Angeles.

Also in about a years time those 5 gallon containers will be completely overtaken by the roots. At least that was the case with my Tabasco. It is now sitting in a #15 pot. :D

Rudy

• 13 years ago

rudy, thanks! its been miserable down here( socal standards) i cant wait for warmer weather so i can leave them outside and get LOTS of peppers! i bought a chocolate bell pepper for my gf and it is in a #15 pot! so it will be a MONSTER!

• 13 years ago

well i thought i would post up how the kiddies looked last night. they all are seeming to be slowly growing and with the little warmer/more sun we are going to have hoepfully they get to growing more. i am just glad my yellow 7pot/Choc Bhut are making a comeback!
    Devils tongue sprouting its first bud

my poor Choc Bhut hanging in there

yellow 7 pot, by far the hardest hit by shock a few weeks ago but he is hanging tight!

Choc Bell pepper in a #15 pot

Pinquita De Mona got a couple peppers growing, and lots of buds coming in

JAmaican Red seems to be getting ready to spit out some buds

here is the scorpion suffered a little shock but is doing great

and finally petter pepper by far the fullest growing pepper i originally bought.

if anyone sees anything that i can help these guys out with please let me know!

• 12 years ago

Looks to me you are on the right track Spongey. My only recommendation is to give them time. I think that is all they are going to need for the near future.

• 12 years ago

Yes, indeed! Give 'em some time....and resist the urge to overwater ;-)

Josh

• 12 years ago

Thanks guys! i watered them wed after a week and a half! and i am going to race my motorcycle this weekend so i am torn between leaving them out till i get back(we are supposed to get some rain sunday and lots of wind) of just bringing them in and leave them by the window. what do yu guys think?

• 12 years ago

The Scorpion looks terrific. It was hard for me to keep them looking that pristine outdoors with the pests and elements.

• 12 years ago

Thanks Phil, I was scared for like a week as it had mild shock. i had them inside next to a sliding glass door until a week and a half ago when i started to let them outside from when i got home till before bed. Last few days they had been outside all day from when i get up till just before bed.

• 12 years ago

I am still wondering if the whole "shock" concept is a myth. People say that a seedling will be stunted when it grows with nights under 50, but I am starting to think it just grows slowly during that time, and then catches up or even surpasses later planted seedlings when the weather warms up.

• 12 years ago

I would like to know the truth on that also. Do temps below 50 actually "Stunt" the plants or does it just slow their growth temporarily. I am new to growing from seed but I know my plants have seen some 40's but I haven't noticed any significant growth retardation.

• 12 years ago

I would also like to know.. I live in the SF bay area and we have had VERY late rain, wind and cold temps for this time of year... I have got a Hungarian wax pepper in a container that hasnt hardly grown at all since I bought 2 months ago. Its gotten the same treatment as the inferno pepper I bought the week before and its nearly a foot and a half tall. all my seedlings started in mid march are even bigger than it. Its healthy looking and has buds but its tiny. Is there a chance the thing will just grow one the weather warms a bit or is it actually stunted?

Tim

• 12 years ago

Well, as you can see, something happened to my.bhut/7pot where they lost almost all their leaves and took almost 2 weeks before another set of leaves began growing.

I mean I lost one plant, and those 2 have sprouted new growth, so hopefully they catch up soon, I want to eat some hot stuff!! Lol

• 12 years ago

My two hab plants did a mass leaf drop when I potted them up, they have grown back with tons of smaller leaves. It looks as if the result will be similar to pruning the tips after the first few sets of true leaves. Now they are very compact and bushy. I never figured out if it was transplant shock, cold (nights below 40 at that time), or a PH problem. Maybe a combination of all of them.

• 12 years ago

Well, as you can see, something happened to my.bhut/7pot where they lost almost all their leaves and took almost 2 weeks before another set of leaves began growing.

I mean I lost one plant, and those 2 have sprouted new growth, so hopefully they catch up soon, I want to eat some hot stuff!! Lol

• 12 years ago

When the soil temperatures stay consistently low, plants will definitely slow their growth.
    Cool, damp soils will also impair the uptake of Calcium and Nitrogen, both of which can be
    responsible for healthy, green leaves.

Plants that are grown in a specific type of light won't be able to tolerate markedly different
    amounts of light. In most cases, the leaves that matured under intense or low light will then
    drop, and new leaves will grow to accomodate the new light conditions.

At transplanting time, "shock" refers mostly to the plant's reaction to root-damage.
    The less damage to the roots, the less "shock" in general. Also, if the plant is
    sheltered from intense sun and wind after transplant, the adjustment will be smoother.
    When the roots are disturbed, they go "offline" and there's a delay in moisture and
    nutrients delivered to the upper plant. Until the roots are back "online," the plant can't
    perform photosynthesis at full capacity. Sun and wind will likely dry/wilt the plant.

Josh

• 12 years ago

thank you Josh! that makes sense! and after a fun weekend of Motorcycle road racing in NV, i came home to all the plants alive and are now enjoying the sun we have in SD today! little windy but NICE! :)
    attached is a pic from Sat afternoon at the track! good times!

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of me racing

Sponsored