Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
borderbarb

You may be a vermi-whacko if....

14 years ago

Do you suppose that custody of a worm bin has ever been litigated in a divorce? I'm long past those 'wars', but if it were today, I would put up a big fight for my worms. Not being totally UNREASONABLE, I would allow visitation rights.

Comments (27)

• 14 years ago

I realized I was a vermi-whacko when I was cleaning out my flow-thru after the Great Freeze Out. I was in the yard sitting on a tarp sifting through perhaps 150 lbs of compost and worms in varying stages of decay, sorting live worms from dead worms.

My husband came out to check on me, and I had just found a whole clump of live worms all wrapped around one another, and one of them was a great firm specimen, all richly wine colored with dramatic stripes. I held out my hand for him to see how pretty it was.

I couldn't understand why he had such an odd look on his face.
    Oh, yeah, I am sitting in 150 lbs of garbage. And this is a worm.
    Right.
    I forgot.

• 14 years ago

I have a box of horse manure on my deck. I guess that makes me a whacko.

In a divorce, the worms can be divided. Or in my case, my STBX has no interest in the worms.

• PRO
    14 years ago

As long as Judge Solomon does not preside.

• 14 years ago

You may be a worm whacko if...
    you go out to eat and the waiter brings you a badly wilted salad. Instead of asking for a fresh one, you ask for a doggie bag. (I took it home to the worms.)

• 14 years ago

I gave my worms an apple but I made sure to take all the seeds out so they wouldn't choke.

• 14 years ago

... if you rescue worms from sidewalks after a rain.

• 14 years ago

I'm in Orlando, Fl on vacation for a few days before a continuing ed meeting. So what am I doing? Sitting here reading reading the worm forum....

• 14 years ago

Dave,
    Yup, you win!
    Now get out there and play!
    :D

• 14 years ago

I just started and I feel like I am crazy. Last night I dug in the bin for the first time and I used a nice kitchen spoon (large one) I wanted to make sure they were not hurt when I dug.

I also keep thinking about them and not wanting to kill the worms. I also am already hoping to build a second bigger flow thru (mine is a 13 gal kitchen trash can now)

I even posted on free cycle for a drum.

Last night I saw a dumpster at someones house with a nice large trash can in it. I almost asked hubby to stop so I can dumpster dive. I was afraid he might leave me there though it was late and we were tired :)

Karen

• 14 years ago

Going fishing and buying worms for bait because everytime I would reach into the bin this thought would be going through my mind 20 mature worms in two to three months that would be at least forty+worms and in another two to three months eighty+worms etc!!!!!!etc!!

• 14 years ago

if you check the worm forum first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and numerous times during the day.

• 14 years ago

I resemble that remark!

• 14 years ago

If you are in the hospital and the doctor asks what the picture is on your phone (one pound of worms entering their new home), then the nurse asks "for composting???" and then you try to sell her some. What do I win??? - Jim

• 14 years ago

Hahahahahaha! This thread makes me laugh!

• 14 years ago

"if you check the worm forum first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and numerous times during the day."
    Yep, that's me too since Dec. 2009

• 14 years ago

I can admit it to you guys [fellow whackos] ... but I get a sense of well-being [endorphins?] every morning when I check on my wormy pets/hired hands/herd and see them happily [?] squirming away. That is no kidding! Even more amazing, I don't feel the least bit odd for my daily 'worm-watching-fix' However, I don't share this with non-wormers, as THEY will form an opinion about my mental state.

• PRO
    14 years ago

On the BSFL page they feel the same way about their larvae. :-)

• 14 years ago

You are wondering how to begin the conversation about keeping a worm bin in the office lunch room....

• 14 years ago

In the interview you find out the Boss has 300 cows on site and you factor that into your decision on whether to take the job or not. You figure a lifetime supply of cow poop for your worms. (true story)

• 13 years ago

You are new to this hobby and you think it has a future.

• 13 years ago

I walk my dogs in the early mornings on garbage pickup days, to bring cardboard home for my worms. Sometimes it's dark so the neighbors don't see me. I may be a vermi-whacko...

• 13 years ago

....if you time your shopping to the day when they restock shelves and aisles are full of cardboard...free for the taking.

• 13 years ago

someone calls you "the worm lady" as you collect their UCGs and you are secretly so proud!

• 13 years ago

you see pictures on the Internet of globs of worms in some vermicoster's hand and send it to people telling them how beautiful it is, rather than sending pictures of your own kids or pets. (Guilty as charged!)

• 13 years ago

You go shopping for food and end up stocking your fridge, not with what you want but rather with what the worms like.
    You really wanted that chocolate cake and ice cream, but you come home with fruits and vegetables. :-((

• 13 years ago

.... the neighbour is getting their fig tree cut down which btw. just started to sprout new leaves several weeks ago so they really look yummy and juicy, me with a bag in my hands, staring down the guy feeding the monster chipper, daring him to put the branches in before I can remove the new juicy sprouts.
    I hope they are OK worm food.

• 12 years ago

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but it spoke to my heart and I had to share...

You spend three years in school, graduate, fly out of state to attend a certification hearing in which you are approved by unanimous vote of over 100 people and you call your mother (who is waiting by the phone on pins and needles) to tell her the good news and the first words out of your mouth are "How are my worms?! Have you been feeding them like I showed you?!"

You cannot enter a restaurant or cafe without wondering if you could get them to hand over all their fruit and vegetable scraps.

You actually feel gleeful when you accidentally spill an entire one-pound bag of frozen peas all over the kitchen floor, because you know your worms will love them.

And to Alabamanicole: I have made myself late to class because I had so many worms to rescue.