Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddauber7

Overwintering my dahlias.....

14 years ago

O.K. I went to the dahlia forum and they are up north it seems. This is my first year growing dahlias so I do not know how to overwinter them. Should I dig them up and store them in an icebox or will they make it left alone? I am in the DFW area. Thanks in advance. Bill

Comments (10)

• 14 years ago

Bill, I don't have any dahlias, but my sister in Bonham planted several two or three years ago. She does not move them. They have come back each year, and look great. Don't know where in DFW you are, but she's on the Ok border.

• 14 years ago

Thank you G.P. I will leave them in the ground. What about aloes and ice plants. Do they need to be brought inside for the winter? TIA Bill

• 14 years ago

Aloes will definitely need to be brought in..even here in Tyler I lose them if I don't. Have not a clue about the ice plants. You might bring most in and leave a patch to test with. Although, the same sister has some in Bonham and knowing her, I doubt she moves them in either...Not that she's lazy, just energy efficient! Maybe someone with more experience in them can give you better ideas.

• 14 years ago

My iceplant does great left inground.

• 14 years ago

Billy, I had dahlias several years ago and the winter was very mild and they didn't come back. I should have dug and refrigerated them. They are one flower that needs chilling. Now if we get a real cold winter you won't need to bring them in. I lost my iceplant that was in the ground too. I'm going to blame the microclimates when we live in such close proximity that's the only reason I can think of that mine would croak.

By the way, Billy, I got some great brugmansia cuttings from a wonderful friend and would like to share some of them with you. I have them rooting in water right now and will be potting them in Spring. Cheryl

• 14 years ago

What an incredibly generous offer Cheryl! I would love to have some of your brugs and would cherish them! I saw brugs for the first time at Weldon Moore's house, ( an absolutely wonderful man by the way), and was very impressed with them.Please tell me what I could I do for you in return. If not something specific, I can do manual labor with a smile. :-) There is always something that needs to be done..... Just let me know! Billy

• 14 years ago

I leave my dahlias in the ground and they come back bigger and better every year. I lost my ice plant that I left in the ground, but I think it might have made it with a heavy mulch in fuller sun. I think it's the physical frost, not just the temperature, that did it in. Aloes you definitely have to bring inside.

• 14 years ago

Thanks for all of the advice. I brought in the aloes and the ice plants. The dahlias I will experiment with, will dig up some and leave some.... Mommyfox, when you left them in the ground, did you use anything other than mulch to cover them? TIA....Billy

• 14 years ago

Bumped into this Juneau, Alaska garden on the GW Cottage Garden forum. It's got lots of pretty dahlias to drool over so thought maybe the dahlias admirers here would like to see them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kathy and Brad's Garden in Juneau ...

• 8 years ago

From what I have experienced, you can overwinter them in the ground near Houston, as long as you mulch them and put a moisture barrier under the mulch (plastic tarp/bag) to protect against Texas rains. That has worked for me. I didn't do that this year, so we'll just see which ones made it!!