Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelntx_gw

How far down are your bathroom lights?

16 years ago

DH and I hung up our mirrors last night and we were trying to get an idea of where to hang the bathroom lights? Is there a general rule of thumb on this?? Like so many inches from the ceiling? What did y'all do with yours and did you stay consistent through out with the height?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Kel

Comments (4)

• 16 years ago

What type of lights? Light bars/sconces/ceiling fixtures??

I don't know if there is a rule, but if we are talking about light bars...then I'd probably go about 6" above the top of the mirror. If sconces, then I'd probably either do center of the mirror or midway between center and top...depending on height of mirror, etc.

Aren't you somewhat locked into a location because of where your electrical is placed? All of our rough-in electrical was actually placed at the heights where we wanted sconces/bars/etc when finished.

• 16 years ago

I guess that would help dixie! I do not have the exact picture but they kind of look like these:

{{gwi:1398985}}

Here is the kicker on the electrical. You probably know my issues with the electrician! Well he needs to pop the wires out because right now they are all behind the sheet rock, painted walls!!!! I told the GC today that I am not happy with the electrician, he never showed up this weekend like he was suppose and I am just pretty much done with him.

I wanted to some what place the electrical but he thought it would be better to wait until everything was in. I guess so he could tear up the wall, stand on my counters and sinks and damage something else.

I am ranting. Sorry, I just really can not deal with that guy! LOL!

Kel

• 16 years ago

Actually, that's not that unusual. My electrician wanted to leave the wires coiled behind the drywall until we were ready to install the lights, but I had him actually put them in place before drywall b/c I knew where I wanted them. I feel that the fixtures will be more secure this way.

But, I do think that in situations like yours, that it is not a big deal at all (ie, you'll never know that they opened up the drywall!!!)...you just need to be careful with your electrician because he has already shown that he is a bull in a china shop! (wasn't he the one who damaged your tub?!)

BTW-The light bar is nice.

• 16 years ago

Yep he was the one who damaged the tub and scratched the counter top by standing on it in his boots AND chipped a huge chunk out of one of the laundry room draws. DH was standing there when he did that move! LOL! Oh well, it will all get taken care of one way or another.